TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide

Peer-to-peer patching pain

cdesai12 Goldie
cdesai12
cdesai12

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 11:26am | IP Logged
Peer-to-peer patching pain  

Susan BradleyBy Susan Bradley

The latest SMB patch means a little bit of not-so-friendly file sharing.

Since my last Patch Watch column, the good news is that we haven't seen any exploits or vulnerabilities targeting the Server Message Block (SMB) patch . The bad news is there have been a few issues that have popped up, one with a resolution, one still under investigation at this time.

First up is an issue with SNAP servers that prevents connectivity when MS05-011 is installed. A possible fix was in the PatchManagement.org discussion list. The workaround involves going to the SNAP admin pages, Network settings, Microsoft Networking, selecting "Advanced," and then deselecting Enable NT SMBs. You may, however, prefer to simply uninstall the patch, call Microsoft Product Support and report the issue in hopes of an official fix.

The second unresolved issue is with this same patch on Windows XP SP2 machines and peer-to-peer networks and Office 2000. Users are reporting that they cannot use Save As after opening a document.

What to do: At the present time, I strongly recommend that anyone seeing this issue remove the patch. To do so,  go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the patch labeled 885250.

Last but not least, a with NT4 servers and the patch appear to have recently arisen.

What to do: Remove the patch you believe to be the one in question. To do so,
go into Add/Remove Programs and remove the patch labeled 885834.

If you have an issue that causes you to remove a security patch, I feel strongly that you should call Microsoft and report the problem. It's the action of reporting the issue that fixes the patch.

Due to the fact that all of these problems were caused by security patches, it will be a free call to Microsoft. In the U.S., call Microsoft at 866-727-2338. In other countries, check to look up the correct local number.

Upgrade MSN 6.x or else!

For those of you running MSN 6.x versions, you may have noticed that you were to upgrade whether your liked it or not. Anyone running the beta of MSN 7.0 however, was already protected from the PNG vulnerability that was described in .

Interestingly enough, my home computer was offered up the because I was running the 4.7x version of Windows Messenger, but on the workstations at my office, Windows Messenger 5.0 users were not forced to upgrade. This WM product is the "standalone" version that plugs into Live Communication Server.

In my firm, this meant I had to use my server's group policy ability to push out the new 5.1 version to all my workstations. You may wish to review your version of Windows Messenger to ensure you're protected.

For many companies, this has been a wake-up call as far as who is using Instant Messenger in their offices. Just as important as technology is the "human" element of IT. The web site has an excellent resource for Internet use policies on this subject. If you're in charge of IT at your firm, you should review and put a policy in place regarding whether or not IM is permitted inside your firm. To totally remove Windows Messenger, you can use a provided by Doug Knox.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index