Indians should not be after Oscars:Amitji

Jem4Himesh thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/20050226-2.htmlIndians should not be after Oscars: Bachchan
26th Feb 2005  22.01 IST
By ApunKaChoice Bureau  

Indian filmmakers and actors should not run after Oscar awards and there is no need for them to dream of getting spotlight there, mega superstar Amitabh Bachchan said on Friday.

"Do Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise look for a Filmfare award? So why should we do so (go after Oscars,)?" he said.

"A Lagaan or Devdaas may have been screened at the Oscars but every time we make a movie, there is no need to dream of a spotlight there, Bachchan said speaking at the India Today Conclave on "Cinema in India: Perception and Reality."

On the fear of Hollywood's "colonization" of Asia, Bachchan said, "the penetration of Hollywood movies in India is on lines of western consumer products. But we have a 5,000-year-old culture which can withstand that effect."

"Let us adapt and use the technology and the film-making techniques, which they have," he said.

According to Bachchan, "Indian cinema is being appreciated the world over, even in places which have no cultural links with us. People sing our songs, remember the actors by their names in movies... this speaks for the identification our movies get".

http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/20050226-2.html

Edited by jem1299 - 19 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jem4Himesh thumbnail

I agree with Amitji 100% coz i feel we should not have 2 compare our movies with Hollywood...

Our movies are fantastic (Devdas, Lagaan, K3G, Kal Ho Naa Ho etc) in their own right and as far as im concerned, we should not have to keep 'comparing' ourselves with hollywood movies...

We have our own award ceremonies and we should be happy with that n not be seeking recognition from somewhere else that doesn't even understand us n our culture!

😳😳😳

krazee_gurl thumbnail

i agree, my sister did a project on bollywood once, for heritage fair, she found some articles, saying that bollywood movies are watched more than hollywood movies, beacause we <indians> live in almost everypart of the world (ex. england,uk,france, germany, russia, australia, canada, us, mexico) >>> these are just a few examples.

we should take advantage of this, but  some producers etc., dont, they "modify" hollywood movies, for the indians in india, and most of them have already see the original, and so the movies don't do that well.

if we do not compare, then we should not copy.

sai14 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Agree w/ Amitji 😊

He is correct. Why do we have to change and mimic hollywood? Are other cultures doing the same? Our's is a very old and precious culture which is respected all over the world for the way it is. We don't have to change it and adapt to the western views!

Thanks for sharing the article!
Singh23 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
he makes a good point but it still would be cool for an indian movie to with one with best foreign film like mother india did or as lagaan almost did
Selina thumbnail
I agree. If they are not interested in our awards, then why should we be interested in theirs.
Ibad thumbnail
Yeah I too agree with Amit Jee.....
We can't bring east and west together so why are we comparing ourselves with them and what the need to run ther....if they ask you its a gr8 honour but if you are running to them its a gr8 shame.
Nisha82 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ibad

Yeah I too agree with Amit Jee.....
We can't bring east and west together so why are we comparing ourselves
with them and what the need to run ther....if they ask you its a gr8
honour but if you are running to them its a gr8 shame.

excatly my thoughts too...i agree with u Ibad
popkurn thumbnail

I agree with u all 100%

*Priya*

btw thankz for sharing