Posted: 12 years ago
Agent Vinod
I will simply say one thing, and pleaaase no accusations of being racist or anything ---> Desi audiences are not ready for this movie.

Sriram is by all means a director, and Saif Ali Khan is by alll means an actor. The two of them made this movie, and the two of them gave life to it. It is pretty unlike most Bollywood action movies I've seen; there was a sophisticated touch to it. I think the background music, verrry offbeat stuff, was what did the trick. There's lots of brass, jazz, and stuff like that played during intense action scenes, it makes the viewer go like 'W*F why is this happening' it makes the scene really peculiar, but to me, that made me pay more attention to what's actually happening. Don't know if that was intended, but I think it was a pretty cool cinema trick.

The movie is mega stylish, no doubt. But I don't think it outweighs the substance, as many reviewers put it. I will say though, that I found it a taaad bit pretentious at times, esp. with some of the humour scenes that Saif KNOWS most people won't understand. Its his right as a producer and Sriram's as a director to put it into the movie though, so fair enough. 

The movie is far too long... and there were too many locations. It made it pretty difficult or me to keep track of what's happening, to be fair I'm shit with following action flicks anyway. 

I LOVED some scenes, total gems haha. Like when Saif claims that he saw Kazan's mother in the toilet, or when Saif starts to bang his feet on the bed to piss off the love-making couple in the other room... pretty cool sense of humour in most of the scenes actually =D

A VERY VERY VERY special mention to Ram Kapoor's "Russian"/Italian/German/Whatevertheheckthatwas accent ðŸ˜† WINNER hahaha ðŸ˜†

All in all, I would recommend this movie if you want to see a different style of action. This is definitely something that Bwood has seen pretty little of, and I do kinda see the bits of Bond influence in the movie, but its nicely made. 

Pretty good stuff =)

I'm getting why its not getting much of great response from critics or the audience though.. it's got elements in it that are clearly bred from viewing Western movies, and though there's nothing wrong with that, I feel like the movie isn't able to quite strike the kind of chord it wants to with the audience it is catering to, which is hum Desi log. 

The Hunger Games: 

To preface my review, I should note that I have read the Hunger Games trilogy and went into the movie expecting a Hollywood-ized interpretation of a young adult novel. I was quite wrong.

For the first time ever, I think a film I watched turned out better than the source material. Book fans, i mean no offence, but The Hunger Games novels are extremely engaging with a cast of excellent characters and an amazing plot - but not well written. This is where the film wins out.

Shot in a shaky-hand held camera style to express the 'personal narrative' of the lead heroine Katniss (instead of the books rambling), The Hunger Games manages to use its unique cinematography convincingly in proving that such a style (which can be annoying at times) is necessary to convey the nature of the plot, and the perspective of our lead.  The premise of the novel can very easily be interpreted to look like an 'epic action saga' on film which would minimize the dark reality of what the Hunger Games really proposes - The film does not make this mistake. It contains its melancholy concept in its lead characters, and never allows the viewer to forget it. Backdrops of grandeur still exist though, but to show the sharp contrast between what matters and what doesn't within the society of 'Panem'. 

The acting was superb, Jennifer Lawrence is a better Katniss than the one i read in the book. And Josh Hutcherson is Peeta Mellark. My only complaint in casting is with Woody Harleson (who portrayed Haymitch Abernatchy, a character who was supposed to have the persona of Dr.House, but instead came off like a flamboyant cowboy buffoon).  

For the teenage audience that this film is marketed towards - I am surprised at how little the director held back, there was no sugar-coating, no cheese, and no glossing over the horrors of the society in the film. Even the lighter moments of the film were kept short and done so with an underlying sense of doom, as it was meant to be. And the traces of blossoming romance between the leads were succinct, convincing and refreshing.  The entire movie was also set to a score composed by James Newton Howard, who brilliantly infuses folk and old-world sounds and melodies to make the film more mysterious and even beautiful at times.

In all, I surprisingly really enjoyed The Hunger Games. It had a polarizing reaction by the group of people I went with, one of my friends even hated it. Personally, most of the criticism I have is towards the flaws in the general story, which is more 'book criticism' than film, so I have not mentioned it here. Either way, it exceeded my expectations. 

3.5/5

Edited by TintinleMechant - 12 years ago
Desi boyz - actually liked the movie, it atleast had a story and no mindless comedy. Akshay has done a good job and his performance looks effortless. John Abraham was pathetic..and his dance moves in the song "jhak maar ke" is cringeworthy. Deppika padukone looks gorgeous, so does chitrangda, but felt she went overboard at times with her sexy act.
Originally posted by Tani91

Triplet you're a THG fan too😲🤗 
Triplett!!! 🤗🤗
Hahah..actually I'm not...yet. 😆 I haven't even read the books. Well I've read page 1 of the first book. My sister is a fan and she kept telling me to read them, and so have a bunch of other people..and now that the movie's out and I finally have time, I'm starting to read them 😆 My sis loved the movie and I've only heard good things about it, so I'm gonna be catching it pretty soon to see it.

You know Tani, I'd heard of the series, but I never realized how big of a phenomenom they actually are ðŸ˜† I live in my own little world clearly 😆 
Originally posted by chocolover89

Triplett!!! 🤗🤗
Hahah..actually I'm not...yet. 😆 I haven't even read the books. Well I've read page 1 of the first book. My sister is a fan and she kept telling me to read them, and so have a bunch of other people..and now that the movie's out and I finally have time, I'm starting to read them 😆 My sis loved the movie and I've only heard good things about it, so I'm gonna be catching it pretty soon to see it.

You know Tani, I'd heard of the series, but I never realized how big of a phenomenom they actually are ðŸ˜† I live in my own little world clearly 😆 
coming from a fello TaAnuian and HP fan...I'd say go for it...you'll love it since there's no vampires or werewolves in this one😛😆 plus Jennifer Lawrence is a billion times better (acting and personality wise) better than KStew🤢

I heard of them a while back and I was actually planning to read it but life got in the way...so when I saw the movie trailer last year I was determined to read it before it came out plus JLaw RULES😳 I was excited to see her in a movie, I have a girl crush on her since X Men and I've been wanting to watch Winter's Bone

The book is really good I mean content wise, because Collins really has a great imagination when it comes to the grim reality of Panem so do give it a shot...I'm on the second one right now
Originally posted by Tani91

coming from a fello TaAnuian and HP fan...I'd say go for it...you'll love it since there's no vampires or werewolves in this one😛😆 plus Jennifer Lawrence is a billion times better (acting and personality wise) better than KStew🤢

I heard of them a while back and I was actually planning to read it but life got in the way...so when I saw the movie trailer last year I was determined to read it before it came out plus JLaw RULES😳 I was excited to see her in a movie, I have a girl crush on her since X Men and I've been wanting to watch Winter's Bone

The book is really good I mean content wise, because Collins really has a great imagination when it comes to the grim reality of Panem so do give it a shot...I'm on the second one right now
I haven't read very much yet..distracted by other things and family visits..par so far it seems interesting. Thank god for no vampires and werevoles 😆 Jennifer Lawrence was far more impressive than Stewart in the trailers alone 😆 I'll hopefully finish it very soon :))

The only thing that threw me off was the werid names 😆😆 This reminds of me of when one of my English teachers told me that she couldn't read HP because names like Dumbledore/Hagrid were too weird 😆 I couldn't even understand what she was talking about..and then when I heard names like Katniss and Peta, I was like..uhh I have to read about them? 😆😆 
Edited by chocolover89 - 12 years ago
^yeah the names are a bit weird but its no biggie

oh yeah caution the first part of the book (and the movie) seems boring because she's describing everything about Panem and the Games and everything in the Capitol...when the actual Games start is whe the book gets very interesting and of course my fave part is the cave scene
Ek dewaana tha...waste of my 2 bucks.

Finaly saw golmaal 3 thankgod i didn't watched it in theatres...otherwise i defintely have killed myself...i can't believe how this movie could be a superhit ðŸ˜² my god 100 crores seriously...i can now write a thesis how indian cinema can be so BEST when it is at WORST...

ajay devgan should retire, he is insulting his own career, the rest spoiled rats, arshad, shreyas and kunal khemu should get admitted themselves in mental asylum, i shall pay for them defintely.

and kareena kapoor called as one of the HERO.and i believe this movie got her a filmfare nomination as well...well i am happy for her...i hope to see her as a full on tapori chewing pan and donning similar wardrobe as aamir donned in Rangeela with a cap...kareena u will nail it perfectly. 🤣 🤣

all in all such a waste of money and time...go catch other classics tht can make up for u...we all have a short life...don't waste it for such movies .. 

1/5 - 1 mark for ratna pathak shah is  amazing
Submarine

So this was amazing. It was actually a treat to watch. So fun and fresh and beautifully shot. And a killer soundtrack to go along with it. I had been putting it of for a while as I thought it would just be another average independent film. Though the trailer makes the film look like your usual 'coming of age indie film', it is one of the best ones i've seen from that category. The main character was believable and funny, and well acted. The lead female was fantastic too - who was refreshingly not a manic pixie girl.

I had read 'submarine' the novel when I was much younger, and I'd say, compared to what i remember, the film is a lot less dark than the source material. Which I think was a good decision on the directors part. It captures exactly what it feels like to be an overly self-aware teenager trying to be unique who still wants to ultimatley be happy and have everything work out.

The color pallete in this film is sooo nice on the eyes, and everything is so well shot. there are some lovely sequences in the first half which are unforgetable. The film's humor is also quite sharp and manages to wiggle its way into even the most serious of scenes. Overall i loved it!  A must watch for both people who are past their teen years and those who are still within it.

An extra bonus: the director of this film is Moss from The IT Crowd (for those who watch the show).

4/5

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WCCdkVDr4[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by TintinleMechant - 12 years ago