meme4u.com

Happy Navratri - [Sept. 28th - Oct. 5th 2011]

Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
In collaboration with the Crazy Creatives. I would like to thank the Crazy Creative team for giving me this opportunity to create a thread for Navratri. I want to give a special thanks to Radha who has helped me the most in getting this thread started. With her permission only I have opened up this thread today.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Navratri is a very important Hindu festival celebrated in India, which is devoted to Goddess Durga. The festival is celebrated with great reverence and faith across the country. It stretches over a period of nine days, with each of the nine days being dedicated to one of the nine forms of the Goddess. Talking about the history of Navratri festival, it can be explained through the stories mentioned in the Hindu scriptures. The history of this festival varies from region to region. Here is how the different parts of India describe this festival.
North India
The legend in North India goes that Mahishasura, the mighty demon, worshipped Lord Shiva and obtained the power of eternity. Soon, he started killing and harassing innocent people and set out to win all the three lokas. The gods in swargaloka appealed to Lord Shiva, to find a way to get rid of the demon. To protect the world from the atrocities of Mahishasura, the Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva united their powers and created a divine female warrior, known as Goddess Durga. Mahishasura, when he saw the divine beauty of Goddess Durga, got mesmerized.

So fascinated was Mahishasura by Goddess Durga's beauty that he approached her with the intention of marriage. The goddess agreed to marry him, but put forth a condition - Mahishasura would have to win over her in a battle. Mahishasura, proud as he was, agreed immediately! The battle continued for 9 nights and at the end of the ninth night, Goddess Durga beheaded Mahishasura. The nine nights came to be known as Navratri, while the tenth day was called Vijayadashmi, the tenth day that brought the triumph of good over evil.

Eastern Belief
As per the legend prevalent in East India, Daksha, the king of the Himalayas, had a beautiful and virtuous daughter called Uma. She wished to marry Lord Shiva, since her childhood. In order to win over the Lord, she worshipped him and managed to please him as well. When Shiva finally came to marry her, the tiger-skin clad groom displeased Daksha and he broke off all the relationships with his daughter and son-in-law. One fine day, Daksha organized a yagna, but did not invite Lord Shiva for the same.

Uma got so angry at her father's rude behavior, towards her husband, that she decided to end her life by jumping into the agnikund of the yagna, where she was united with eternity (since then, she came to be known as Sati). However, she took re-birth and again won Shiva as her groom and peace was restored. It is believed that since then, Uma comes every year with Ganesh, Kartik, Saraswati and Laxmi and two of her best friends or 'sakhis', called Jaya and Bijaya, to visit her parent's home during Navratri.

Another Legend - Ram and Ravana
Yet another legend of Navratri relates to the Hindu epic Ramayana. It goes that Lord Rama worshipped Goddess Durga in nine aspects, for nine days, in order to gather the strength and power to kill Ravana. He wanted to release Sita from the clutches of powerful demon king Ravana, who had abducted her. Those nine nights became to be known as Navratri and the tenth day, on which Lord Rama killed Ravana, came to be called Vijayadashmi or Dusshera, signifying Rama's (good) triumph over Ravana (evil).

Information Adapted from:
http://festivals.iloveindia.com/navratri/navratri-history.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Navratri is a festival of many vibrant colors. The cuture of India is shown through the beautiful outfits that are worn by both the ladies and the guys. The colors of India can be seen through them. It is a festival of noise,fun, entertainment, and pure happiness. The crowds go crazy! It is such so much fun dancing and going crazy all night! A night of chaos is what Navratri brings every year! So much fun & games, so much interaction, & so many cute/hot guys & girls every year. 😆

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) How do you celebrate Navratri every year?
2) Are you a bigger fan of Garba or Dandiya?
3) Does your family do anything special during the 9 day festival? Like fasting or anything of the sort?
4) Do you look forward to this festival every year?
5) What is the best part of Navratri for you?
6) Have you ever celebrated Navratri with any celebrities?
7) Is there a difference when it coems to Navratri in India & Navratri in the US/Canada/other countries?
8) Your favorite part of the festival?
9) Your favorite Navratri song if you have any?
10) What has been your most memorable Navratri & why?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's wishing all of the members of India Forums a very happy Navratri. Hope you all have a splendid one.

-Cutiepie Rani & The Crazy Creative Team-

Edited by vijay - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anizor thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
awsome post. very knowledgeable. happy navratri to everyone.Edited by anizor - 12 years ago
Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Very informative thread.

Lakshmi ka Hath ho,

Saraswati ka Sath ho,

Ganesh ka niwas ho,
 aur maa durga ke ashirwad se

Aapke jeevan mai prakash hi prakash ho'.

Happy Navratri to everyone🤗

maris08 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Nine days of celebration; Nine days of fasting.

Nine ways to worship; Nine days to pray

Nine days of Devotion; Only way for Nirvana!!

greenleaf007 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Nice Post 😃

And Happy Navratri to All😃...Navratri is such a Awsum Festival...I speacially like the Garba And dandiya😆...YO!! 😉 😆

nidha1983 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
"Sarva Mangala Maangalye,
Shive Sarvaartha Saadhike.
Sharanye Tryamba Ke Gauri,
Naaraayani Namostute."

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYrOlzXBFpQ[/YOUTUBE]
VishaD. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 7
Good post Rani 👍🏼
iruaG thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thank you for this thread 👍🏼 I wish everyone the happiest of Navratris 😃
1) How do you celebrate Navratri every year?
Mostly going to Kolkata coz thats the only festival I celebrate and its celebrated in a magnificent and grand way there😃
2) Are you a bigger fan of Garba or Dandiya?
We dont play garba or Dandiya so dont know
3) Does your family do anything special during the 9 day festival? Like fasting or anything of the sort?
Nope.My family does tarpan 7 days prior to Durga Puja which is called Mahalaya Amavasya.We go to the Ganges and seek blessings from our ancestors.Its beautiful to go be there.😃plus the days marks the countdown for the main Durga Puja so I am always excited like hell!😆[and tomorrow is Mahalaya here..YAY!]
4) Do you look forward to this festival every year?
Obviously.Its the only festival when I have the oppurtunity to go to my hometown and meet my whole family in Kolkata.The only festival that I celebrate in a grand way.I get to meet my cousins relatives and friends after one whole year.So I start looking forward to this festival from Vijay Dashami itself🤣
5) What is the best part of Navratri for you?
Meeting my cousins and relatives.But the best part is during Durga Puja,many pandals are set up in like every nukkad and colony😆and they have different themes every year according to which they design the pandals.And the best part is that there are around thousands of Pandals throughout Kolkata and all our cousins and relatives go out together visiting all the pandals throughout the city the whole night.Thats the best part.Start visitng them at around 8 pm at night and come back the next day morning at 6 AM.Super fun...hogging pani puris,rolls,biriyani;pandal hopping;buy these bhopus available which makes this pyaaan sound and blow it throughout the night like this🥳to every passer by🤣and save your life from the overflowing crowd...everything at midnight!😃Experience of a lifetime!😳

Just wanted to share the pics of a pandal made last year in Kolkata.It won the best mandap in the city and personally was my favourite😳I loved how they did full justice to their theme of underwater

6) Have you ever celebrated Navratri with any celebrities?
Yeah.Once I went to Mumbai for Durga Puja.I met Rani Mukherjee and kajol at their Puja mandap⭐️
7) Is there a difference when it coems to Navratri in India & Navratri in the US/Canada/other countries?
I have lived all my life in india so dont know.
8) Your favorite part of the festival?
Like I said before it HAS to be the puja pandals/mandaps.Sheer brilliance of creativity.Every mandap you visit,you feel like getting transported to some other world all together.And visiting these mandaps is the favourite part of the festival.😊
9) Your favorite Navratri song if you have any?
None
10) What has been your most memorable Navratri & why?

When I used to Chennai,those five years were the most exciting Navratri for me.Coz we used to travel by train from Chennai to Kolkata for the festival every year...and see the lush kassh flowers,villages,incomplete pandals and seeing my cousins coming to receive me at the station would make my heart literally skip a beat😆I miss those days😳Airplanes ruined everything😆

This picture is exactly what i meant in the last answer😳

Edited by .sb. - 12 years ago
hopper_ocean thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2