"Aishwarya did Kajra Re without any makeup"

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 12 years ago

Ultimate Makeup Tips from Mickey

August 31, 2011 by FSJ 

Flawless, impeccable, perfect.

Think actress and those are some of the words that come to mind as you conjure up an image of a beautiful, glamorous face, alongside the hero. Not a hair out of place

And yet B-O ladies aren't goddesses. A lot of effort and thought goes into creating the looks that many gladly follow and often slavishly ape.

Makeup is an integral, essential aspect of the image and 'look' of an actor and the credit for this goes to the technicians behind the scenes.

Mickey Contractor is one such technician – the ace makeup artist of Bollywood and currently the Brand Ambassador for M.A.C in India.

In between shots for Desi Boyz where he was doing up Deepika Padukone's face, Mickey put his 33-year expertise into words.

"Deepika has naturally beautiful hair and it takes the least amount of effort to style her hair"

What determines makeup?

"Makeup is a lot about personal style. As long as you like being the individual you are, you can enhance whatever you have been given.

"Here in India, fashion, makeup and hair – everything is dictated by Bollywood. There is nothing like you go through Vogue and that becomes the trend. It's Bollywood that dominates what the next look in the country will be."

"Rani Mukherjee looks very different with her makeup on"

Can you define makeup for films?

"Simply put, it is to make sure that the woman who is facing the camera is photogenic to the optimum."

How much does makeup contribute to the way a person looks?

"Every woman looks slightly different without makeup. But I would say that someone like Rani Mukherjee looks very different with her makeup on because she is otherwise a very simple person and does not bother about the way she looks."

Your inspiration when you create a look?

"My inspiration comes from the script and the face I am working on. It completely depends on the character the heroine is playing."

What is your favourite look?

"The 'no makeup' look. That's because you are using everything, but at the same time, not letting anything show, and yet contributing your two bits to the face you are working on. I feel a woman should look like she has not made too much of an effort to look the way she does.

If the overall impression is effortlessly beautiful, then I think there is a certain charm to it. It is a great compliment when people say, 'Dedh ghanta leke kya kiya?' It is difficult to do that because you have been at it for so long, but you have nothing to show. Yet it makes a difference.

"It is a great compliment when people say, 'Dedh ghanta leke kya kiya?' It is difficult to do the 'no makeup' look because  you have nothing to show. Yet it makes a difference!"

"I did Aishwarya Rai's face without any makeup for Bunty Aur Babli, where we did not even use foundation. It was just a little bit of concealer, with only mascara and kajal in her eyes.

"When I started working here, Bollywood makeup was very heavy. Extreme contouring, a lot of eye makeup, liners, lipstick and plenty of blusher was used. The 'no makeup look' was unknown."

One person on whom you love doing makeup?

"Frankly, if I don't like someone whose makeup I am doing, I just don't work with them. By the grace of God, I have the option today to work with whoever I want to. However, Aishwarya's is one face I can do all the time. I think Aishwarya has the most beautiful face in Bollywood. I just find I can do a lot of things with her and she carries off everything. She also has implicit faith and trust in me."

"It's Bollywood that dominates what the next look in the country will be"

What about hair care?

"A lot of effort goes into the hair, more than the face. Because a lot of the time you are working with hair pieces and extensions. Maintaining that hair all through the day in humid weather is a bit difficult. On outdoor shoots it is even more difficult. A lot of work and maintenance through the day goes into hair.

"Deepika has naturally beautiful hair and it takes the least amount of effort to style her hair."

"I did Aishwarya Rai's face without any makeup for Bunty Aur Babli, where we did not even use foundation. It was just a little bit of concealer, with only mascara and kajal in her eyes!"

Is there any difference in the way makeup professionals are treated now?

"I think there is a huge change in the way makeup artists are being treated because they are respected and paid a lot better. Today, everyone realizes the value of a makeup artist.

Earlier, only the heroines valued the makeup artistes, nobody else did. We were treated more or less like glorified spot boys.

"There is a change in the way makeup artists are being treated because they are respected and paid a lot better. Earlier, only the heroines valued the makeup artists, nobody else did. We were treated more or less like glorified spot boys!"

We came, did our bit and stood outside the room, we kept waiting in the sun. I don't know of people behind the scenes being interviewed 33 years ago. There is a lot more awareness now."

Whom do you look up to in the makeup industry?

"I used to be a great Kevyn Aucoin fan. He used to be a makeup artist in America and if I may say so, I think his style of makeup and my style of makeup is very similar. Seeing his books, I used to get very inspired."

"Bollywood makeup was very heavy. Extreme contouring, a lot of eye makeup, liners, lipstick and plenty of blusher was used. The 'no makeup look' was unknown"

Favourite faces

Priyanka Chopra: High five

"I actually started on Priyanka with Don.

Then I went on to do five films back-to-back with her, which I have not done with any other heroine, since I don't like to keep working with one face for a long period of time because then you get repetitive.

Therefore, I prefer to do one film with one heroine, then move on to a new film and another heroine."

Shah Rukh Khan: Patience personified

"I have done about 12-13 films with Shah Rukh, and I must say he is one of the most patient men around. He is always there to help you.

If there is a wind coming across from the other side and the heroine's face is getting covered with hair, he will say, 'Don't worry, I'll manage it.'

So very nicely, he will put his hand on her hair and he control it for you. All you have to do is go and tell Shah Rukh, 'Please, thoda sa sambhal le na yaar.' He will do it.

"I often tell Shah Rukh, 'Thoda moisturizer toh laga le', and he grumbles good-naturedly, 'I hate doing these girly things!'"

"I often tell Shah Rukh, 'Thoda moisturizer toh laga le', and he grumbles good-naturedly, 'I hate doing these girly things.' "

Mickey's Makeup Mantras

*        Use the correct colour for foundation and don't try to look fairer because it only makes you look grey.

*        There is no difference as such for fair or dusky skin. The basic golden principle for makeup is that the colour of the foundation should be as close as possible to the skin. A foundation is not supposed to make you look fairer, so please do not ever opt for a lighter shade. I repeat, it will only make you look grey.

*        Fair skin has an undertone of pink or yellow to it while dusky skin has a red undertone. While opting for a foundation, these undertones should be considered.

*        Do not immediately decide on a foundation. Wear it for a certain amount of time to check for changes (these occur due to oxidization of the foundation on your skin), if any. If there are no changes, it is the right foundation for your skin.

*        Every woman should just wear enough makeup to make her feel better, and feel that she is ready to face the world. Sometimes just a touch of kajal and mascara is good enough.

*        Eye makeup should be done considering the shape of the eyes.

*          Less is more attractive. So there is no need to paint your face heavily or overdo the makeup.

http://www.thefilmstreetjournal.com/2011/08/ultimate-makeup-tips-from-mickey/#more-24447

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail

Which celeb face made your hands tremble?

Hema Malini. She is the ultimate dream girl in Hindi cinema

Kareena or Aishwarya?

Aishwarya

Who has a perfect face?

Aishwarya

Men and make-up…

Horrible

Celeb or commoner — who's face excites you more?

A great face excites me most.

Bridal make-up…

Is very emotional.

Ash's bridal make-up…

Was very emotional. It was for a friend.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080915/jsp/entertainment/story_9832611.jsp

fire_gun thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
are u kidding me👎🏼...it was evident it was full of makeup when aishwarya done that song..ohhh mickey plzz stop  this bhajan for  this actresss unnecessary...
bollywoodbabe1 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Aishu is gorgeous both with or without make-up. She looked stunning in Kajra Re.
I liked Priyanka's look in Don the most
Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Originally posted by: bollywoodbabe1

Aishu is gorgeous both with or without make-up. She looked stunning in Kajra Re.

I so agree! She looked like a dream! 😍 She looks more beautiful w/o makeup IMO.

bollywoodbabe1 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
QUOTE=VanityGirl]
Originally posted by: bollywoodbabe1

I so agree! She looked like a dream! 😍 She looks more beautiful w/o makeup IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I think she looks better without make-up too 😊   I don't like it when she puts too much of make-up on, she doesn't even need it anyways.
Yuvika_15 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: fire_gun

are u kidding me👎🏼...it was evident it was full of makeup when aishwarya done that song..ohhh mickey plzz stop  this bhajan for  this actresss unnecessary...

@bold,...exactly she did hav make up on it was obv...the onli film they sed she was meant 2 hav no make up on for was raavan bt 4 tht she didnt agree so they put make up on her in tht movie 2 bt onli a bit...at the sme time she is 1 actress tht doesn't luk bad without it, comparing 2 others she luks ok without make up 2...sum actresses dnt luk gd without make up😕
Edited by Yuvika_15 - 12 years ago
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
she looks STUNNING but...

she definitely had make up on 😆 I maen come on, "kajra re"?
KhatamKahani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Does concealer not count as make up?