Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

s**twalk: A Self Defeated Movement? (Page 6)

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 24 September 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

What I mean is, a married couple are expected to be involved in a physical relationship. In which case I think it's fairly difficult to establish that the sex was non-consensual unlike other rape cases where the perpetrator is a stranger and therefore the sex being forced becomes more plausible.

Since sex is a part of a married couple or even many relationships, most don't refuse for petty reasons. Both men and women in a marriage try to be considerate and ensure that both are interested, in the mood and want to do it. They will let it be if the other person is seriously not interested, is very tired or is upset or distraught for some reason. Of course people will try to see if the person will change their mind, but most men won't force themselves on their wives if she keeps saying no.

Most marital rape tends to take place in abusive relationships. There usually is a pattern of emotional and/or physical abuse to pin point to rape.

Originally posted by souro

Another side of it is (though I don't know if it's possible), if there is some way (in the control of the woman) to make it appear that the sex was forced then then the opportunity to use it to falsely accuse someone is enormous.

I'm not sure about this. But when the reported rape is between two people who know each other the investigation is more complex and difficult.

L&O SVU had an episode where a college student accuses a professor of rape. Throughout the case you never know which side to believe. Even the evidence keeps pointing in both directions. The entire episode ends inconclusive - making the viewer rack their brains on who to believe.

As people I dont think we can every say one rape is plausible and not another. We just hope to have a good legal system where a crime is investigated and prosecuted fairly based on reliable evidence.

krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 25 September 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged
HI FOLKS!! Hug

Interesting debate, one worth my belated two-paise: Tongue LOL

I don't think it was the intention of the Ralliers, as RTH pointed out previously, to glorify the derogatory term of "s**t", though I'm personally against the word being used even in a rub-in-your-face fashion, simply because that actually re-in-forces the view of non-conforming women as "s**ts".

Also, many people are taking it in the manner that this Movement had justified dressing up in inappropriate attire. I think that's a gross misunderstanding of the intention that the Rally strove to drive home.

The "does-this-mean-it-is-okay-to-dress-like-a-s**t" is kinda invalid in this whole context, simply because the message wasn't the "Defense of indecent clothing". Rather, it implied the oft-touted and oft-conveniently-ignored fact that  "Dressing inappropriately does not make a woman "fit" to be raped."

That's a fact, one that none can mitigate by any human argument.

As per as indecent dressing is concerned, its more an issue of the wearer's taste and self-respect, that she's likely to have questioned, in that that she chose to wear attire unsuited to her dignity. That'll be a vilification of the wearer from the WEARER'S POINT OF VIEW. But such criticism does not amount to pandering the belief that "Dressing inappropriately makes rape of the wearer okay".

There's a huge confusion in this issue on separating the two contexts adequately.

Go to top