Page   of 8
Page 4 Page 8

sweet_diksha

IF-Dazzler

sweet_diksha

Posted: 17 September 2011 at 12:09pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

Vrish,

SB does spell out the parentage. See chapter 61. After spelling out each of the principal queens' sons, Parikshit asks Shukdev how Rukmi's daughter came to wed Pradyumna? (Sloka 20)

Verses 22 and 23 mention that Rukmavati chose Pradyumna in a Swayamvara and that Rukmi reluctantly agreed.

In verse 25, Shukdev says that Rukmi gave his granddaughter Rochana to Aniruddha ( dauhitreya -daughter's son) is the exact word used. So we can safetly assume that Aniruddha was the daughter of Rukmavati.

Vajra is mentioned only at the fag end of the eleventh skanda, that too as the son of Anirudh. I have to check up exactly where his mother's name is mentioned.

will get back later.

vajra was son of Aniruddha and Rochana.  and Aniruddha was son of Pradyumna and Rukmavati

link to this : http://www.bhagavata.org/canto10/chapter90.html   (sloka 35-38)

i ll print the slokas here . see.

( In each of His many wives begot Krishna, the Supreme Lord Never Failing in His Effort, ten sons [and one daughter]. (32) Of these there were eighteen mahrathas of an unlimited prowess, whose fame spread wide; hear their names from me. (33-34) They were Pradyumna and [His grandson or other son] Aniruddha; Dptimn and Bhnu as also Smba, Madhu and Brihadbhnu; Citrabhnu, Vrika and Aruna; Pushkara and Vedabhu, S'rutadeva and Sunandana; Citrabhu and Virpa, Kavi and Nyagrodha. (35) O best of kings, of these sons of Krishna, the enemy of Madhu, was Pradyumna, the son of Rukmin, the most prominent one. He was just like His father. (36) He, the great chariot fighter, married the daughter of Rukm [named Rukmavat] from whom then was born Aniruddha who was endowed with the strength of a ten thousand elephants [see 10.61]. (37) Furthermore took He, as you know, next Rukm's granddaughter [Rocana] for His wife and from her was His son Vajra born, the only one to remain after the battle with the clubs [see 3.4: 1 & 2]. )

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-varaaliRoark.Vrish.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "+* Krishna's clan *+ (Page 3)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Roark

IF-Rockerz

Roark

Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:52am | IP Logged
Oh, I didnt create this as a separate topic did I?

But interesting discussion. But i shall add my two bits to this soon.

Edited by vinuchand - 21 September 2011 at 1:52am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 21 September 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged
^^^ No, you didn't. LOL I just moved your post from another thread to this one, so that all discussions about Krishna's family (apart from wives, which has its own thread) are in one place.  Since they automatically get ordered chronologically, yours is the first, making it look to you like you started this thread LOL

Sure, weigh in whenever convenient LOL

-Swetha-

Roark

IF-Rockerz

Roark

Posted: 21 September 2011 at 4:11am | IP Logged
Oh, great. Thanks Vrish. I will add my two bits soon.

-Swetha-

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 21 September 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged
Vrish,

Regarding your query on Vajra,

Vajra was crowned in Indraprastha but his kingdom was Mathura.

On re reading the relevant lines in SB, I found that it says Arjuna took Vajra and other survivors to Indraprastha where he crowned Vajra as king of Yadavas. It does not say he was crowned the ruler of Indraprastha. Probably when normalcy  returned, Vajra and his prople must have moved to Mathura which was anyway their home turf. IN fact there is as story that on reaching Mathura Vajra found it desolate and empty and totally devoid of the 'presence' of Krishna. On vyasa's advice, he built four  temples in Krishna's honour.

In any case I cannot imagine Indraprastha not being a part of the Pandava empire.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Radhikerani.Vrish.

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 09 November 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged
Seeing today's brief discussion b/w Narad & Vishnu about Ghatotkacha, that brought to mind a new question.

There is that story about Balarama's daughter Vatsala, who Balarama had offered to Duryodhan's son Lakshman, but who herself wanted to marry Abhimanyu.  Ghatotkacha took her guise and in Lakshman's wedding, he squeezed Lakshman's hand so tight that he fainted, after which Ghatotkacha took his own form & fled, and Vatsala later got her father to accept her marriage to Abhimanyu.

My question - this is neither in Mahabharat nor in SB, so where is it from?  B'cos if Abhimanyu had a wife already, and that too the daughter of Balaram, how come the Mahabharat has no mention of her, and after his death, how come only Uttara continued the dynasty?  Which are the original works that first mention Balarama having any daughters, and even if he did, her marriage to Abhimanyu?

I personally don't believe that Balarama had any daughters, or even if he did, she married someone else, not Abhimanyu, nor Lakshman.  Probably someone within the Yadava clan.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

--jas--Radhikerani

namrata1111

Posted: 25 January 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

namrata1111

Posted: 25 January 2012 at 1:57am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.