Rani Mukerji's Brief For Black

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

mehvishrainbow2

Goldie

mehvishrainbow2

Posted: 24 February 2005 at 10:02pm | IP Logged

RANI MUKERJI'S BRIEF FOR BLACK

My challenge with Black was: Forget Rani Mukerji. Because if I looked like Rani Mukerji in even one frame, all would be lost. I had to make sure the audience forgot they were watching Rani. And it was Sanjay Leela Bhansali who helped me do that. If I get any credit for this film, it should be all Sanjay's. In fact, when he offered me the role of Michelle McNally, I was thrilled by the faith he placed in me but simply wasn't sure if I could pull off a character who was deaf, mute and blind. I had never, in all my life, come across any person who was physically challenged to this degree. And I knew precious little about how such individuals overcome the challenges Fate has thrown their way. There was nobody I could model myself on; this was an unknown world for me. But Sanjay persisted and insisted he could visualise only me in the role. It was he who held my hand and guided me through my transformation to Michelle. Without his provocation and instigation I would not have been able to give of my best. He told me simply, "Rani, you have to give your life for this film." And I have. I was intrigued to find that Michelle had always existed inside me-a woman who's strong, independent and has the spirit and courage required to fight to reach her goals. The going was tough. At times Rani would get disillusioned but Michelle could never be, because she knew she could attain whatever she wished to. I've lived with Michelle for two years. She required more homework than any other character I've ever portrayed. Quite literally. The moment I agreed to do the film, Sanjay became my teacher and I became a schoolgirl all over again, complete with homework and tests. For example, he'd give me an entire poem to learn in sign language in a week. When I'd learnt it, I had to perform for him and he'd make me go over it till I got it absolutely right. I went through a sign language workshop for the film. I also inter-acted with deaf and mute people at the Helen Keller Institute at Vashi in New Mumbai. It was a learning experience in more ways than one. Ever since then, I've become so much more alert and constantly have my eyes, ears and nose open. But meeting these physically challenged people also changed my entire perspective on life. They truly humbled me because the word impossible doesn't exist for them. They believe that if you want to, you can make it happen. Sanjay's assistant, Sangeeta, who has been with him since Khamoshi, has been a particular inspiration. She is hearing- impaired and her perseverence and courage rubbed off on me. Every time I gave a sign language shot, I'd look first at Sanjay to check if it was okay, and then at Sangeeta for her approval. Everyone was infinitely patient with me, including Amit Uncle (Amitabh Bachchan) who plays my teacher in the film. Sanjay is never quick to okay a shot and every time he rejected one, I'd look at Amit Uncle. He would offer a suggestion, we'd work it out and the shot would get okayed. Black is going to be my most cherished film. It takes courage to make a film like this and Sanjay has made it with such conviction that I'm confident nothing can stop it from reaching out to people.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Rani Mukerji's Brief For Black" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

jatt di pasand

Groupbie

jatt di pasand

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 7:01pm | IP Logged
Thanks 4 shairingSmile

*~Sapna~*

IF-Veteran Member

*~Sapna~*

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 7:07pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing

Post Reply New Post

Go to top