•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago

"Bodyguard is one of the best roles of my career" - Kareena Kapoor: Part 1 

By Devansh Patel, September 1, 2011 - 10:38 IST

Talking to actress Kareena Kapoor is a crash course on how to live life on your own terms. As if you weren't well aware that she's dating Saif Ali Khan, still has her natural hair colour and is a proud 'Kapoor' who values rituals and customs. Kareena Kapoor is in a mood for a little round of show and tell. She walks into this small room where I've been waiting patiently for her for three hours... but I'm not complaining. Dressed from top to toe in colourful traditionals, Bebo looked every bit an Indian princess who doesn't have that desperate theatre-brat need to charm or wow, who doesn't try to be breezy or sexy but instead is able to just be - onscreen and off. She's clearly arguing about the fact that her last two films with Salman were a let down because of the scripts and yet she asserts that this one (Bodyguard) will bring that lost glory back. Welcome to the beautiful world of Kareena Kapoor - an adrenalin artist and a self professed world class lover. There is a conscientious quality to Kareena, who seems to have a healthy handle on her priorities - which may also help explain how she has managed to pull off an almost half a decade relationship with Saif Ali Khan. She has cracked the code to having fame and a relatively normal life, till a few men walk in our room and hand her over a big fat rectangular book with exclusive stills from her recent film Bodyguard. It's called the 'Bodyguard Book' sent by her producer Atul Agnihotri to have a sneak peek at. Knowing Bebo, she takes her time flipping and adoring the stills. I sit quietly observing her every little movement and think - at 30, she still hasn't lost anything: she is an ever-smiling, booty-shaking, leg-alicious movie goddess but she has also gained a palpable sense of calm of consistency - consistency in her smile. Kareena's smile is the smile of a woman who unselfconsciously enjoys her life. She lives it regardless of the paparazzi, the cell-phone snappers, the autograph seekers or me who is sitting in front of her asking the cliches. But thanks to her smile my wait was worth it! The clichs start to fade out and a fresh round of talk continues all on a grey rainy day at Mehboob Studio in Bandra. UK's Harrow Observer columnist and Bollywood Hungama's London correspondent brings you Part One of the two part special on Kareena Kapoor's latest obsession after Jab We Met - Bodyguard, that she reckons will even break records of 3 Idiots at the box office. 

"After Jab We Met, this is one of my best roles in my career" 
It's not very important to choose between a creativity and commerciality. What's important is to choose between a good movie and a bad movie. There is a fine line between a good and a bad movie. You don't have to do an art film to perform. In that regards, Bodyguard is a very performance driven film and that's why I did it. After Jab We Met, this is one of my best roles in my career. 

"We've seen that the Indians living abroad are suckers for a good love story andBodyguard is that story" 
I was there in London doing some interviews this month and I think this is more of an overseas film. I say this because this isn't a comedy or a thriller. This is a beautiful love story. We've seen that the Indians living abroad are suckers for a good love story and we are giving them exactly that. 

"My transformation from a naughty girl in first half to being an anchor in the second was challenging" 
Bodyguard is a remake of a Malayalam film and the director has also made the same in Tamil too. Obviously, we've tweaked it around a bit because the South palette is very different from that of the Bollywood. My director Siddique was very much aware of that. I've seen the Malayalam version and I am proud that my role wasn't changed. It bears a lot of similarity with the roles in other versions but I definitely played it my style. I've done it the way I'd like to do it and how my fans would like to see me - like more naughty and mischievous in the first half and in the second half it transforms into how she is the emotional anchor of the movie. 

"When I'm waxed at Tussauds, my Bodyguard's already there who's waxed" 
When I'm waxed at Tussauds, my Bodyguard's already there who's waxed. But yes, the whole feeling still hasn't sunk in. There is a new Madame Tussauds that's going to open in Blackpool and they are going to tour an exhibition of all their statues to six different cities from Australia to Berlin to Hong Kong to Singapore and finally come to London. I'm honoured. 

"The twists and turns in the second half will leave you shocked" 
The story of Bodyguard is about this girl who falls in love with the bodyguard. The twists and turns in the second half will leave you shocked. Salman Khan hasn't done a love story since quite some time now. All we've seen him doing is comedy and action. So this is a good departure for him. There is action and comedy in this because we do have to compensate his fans too (laughs). 

"In my earlier films, the scripts have let both me and Salman down" 
In our earlier movies we did together like Kyunki and Main Aur Mrs Khanna, the scripts let us down big time. That's why the chemistry wasn't working. An actor cannot save a bad film. People are really awaiting our togetherness in Bodyguard

"It's strange but the truth that my fans like to see me in a traditional avatar" 
My fans react very strongly when it's the traditional desi avatar, overseas or India. They like to see me in a particular way and I think that's why we stuck to such costumes. Jab We Met was more whites and simple in colours but Bodyguard has a bit of fashion statement. There is this passionate and a glamorous song that I've done in a black saree that I've done after a long time. The last time I wore a saree in a song was from 3 Idiots

"Salman Khan has this amazing quality about him that makes him really heroic" 
Salman Khan comes across as a laid back, naughty, bratty, brash, etc. But what people don't know about Salman is that he is a very intelligent guy. Some of the things he tells me are very hard hitting. There are things that he tells me about life that are just amazing. He spreads positivity wherever he goes and he brings that vibe too that he spreads across. He has this amazing quality that makes him really 'heroic'. He is a religion in himself. The kind of fan following he has is hysterical. He is blessed to have this kind of loyalty and it rarely happens. 

"I'm competing with my own self and I hope Bodyguard breaks all records of 3 Idiots" 
As far as box office collections are concerned, people should know that I am competing with my own movie 3 Idiots. It's my highest grossing film till date and I hope Bodyguard breaks that collection. Bodyguard should break all records and it's good for our industry too. We are in need for some good grossing films. 2011 so far is the best year we've had at the box office. 

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/features/2011/09/01/7878/index.html

Edited by Saddiakhan - 12 years ago

"The USP of Siddique is that he is a writer too" - Kareena Kapoor: Part 2 

By Devansh Patel, September 3, 2011 - 15:15 IST

Kareena Kapoor is in a very good mood at the Mehboob studios. Her film Bodyguardshe reckons will break all box office records and she can't wait for her next biggieRa.One to go release as well. In between all this, she travels to London for the launch of her wax statuette in Madame Tussauds on October 18. Then her most awaited film with her boyfriend Saif Ali Khan - Agent Vinod. She also makes it clear that her chemistry with Imran in Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu is going to be quite a hot one. With so much to talk about, including Madur Bhandarkar's Heroine, sitting right next to her I could sense something, and after a while it became quite clear that she is a woman whose emotions run close to the surface, and considering the tools she has been given to express those emotions - clear brown eyes, luminous skin and a face that curls easily into a smile, it's not hard to be seduced into feeling like you know what she's thinking at any given moment. For now, it's all of the above. UK's Harrow Observer columnist and Bollywood Hungama's London correspondent brings you Part 2 of the Kareena Kapoor exclusive. 

"Saif's never really followed a typical road to anything. He's got success by being versatile and Agent Vinod will prove that yet again" 
I'm a part of the highest grossing film 3 Idiots, I'm a part of the most expensive film Ra.One and I'm a part of the most expensive thriller Agent Vinod. Let me begin by telling you that Shah Rukh Khan has taken Ra.One to another level with his deep involvement with the film. As far as Agent Vinod is concerned it's a Sriram Raghavan film and it's going to be quite a shocker for everyone. Saif's never really followed a typical road to anything. He's got success by being versatile and Agent Vinod will prove that yet again. 

"The USP of Siddique is that he is a writer too. He has really written the emotional scenes very well" 
Siddique is one of the most talented directors I've worked with. I've also worked with Priyadarshan in many films. But I think Siddique is very instinctive. He doesn't want to waste time of the actors by taking multiple takes. If he is happy with one take then he doesn't spend time taking the shot again. The USP of Siddique is that he is a writer too. He has really written the emotional scenes very well. 

"My managers told Madame Tussauds to lock the date that balanced both my big releases" 
There was a lot of confusion whether my wax statue should coincide with Saif's birthday or not. But finally we decided that it should be launched between Bodyguard and Ra.One. My managers told Madame Tussauds to lock the date that balanced both my big releases and so we decided to lock the October 18 as the Madame Tussauds launch date 

"I'm really excited about Heroine and I'm sure I'll pull it off and give it my best" 
I don't want to get into how much other actresses get paid but I can't claim that I will be the highest paid actress for Madhur's Heroine because we are still in talking terms. I've never talked about money publically. I'm trying to accommodate my dates to Madhur and UTV because I've been so busy since the last few months. I'm really excited about the script and I'm sure I'll pull of Heroine and give it my best. 

"Everyone's going to see me in this very Bohemian kind of look in Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu" 
Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu first look feedback has been pretty good so far. People loved the poster because we've used the still from our film. It's when we go to this 'Fun Fair' in Las Vegas. Everyone's reacting to the chemistry and I'm sure I and Imran are going to make one deadly pair (laughs). Imran is so shy and I am so all out there (laughs). Everyone's going to see me in this very Bohemian kind of look in Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu

"I'm open to work with Dibakar Banerjee as long as he has a good script" 
I'd love to work with new and upcoming directors too. I'm open to anybody who has a great script. You get me a good script and I'm on. You name it - Dibakar Banerjee, Rajkumar Hirani, Imtiaz Ali and any new director who can impress me with his or her script. 

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/features/2011/09/03/7882/index.html

Edited by Saddiakhan - 12 years ago
'best role od my career?' it was such a normal role! but maybe she is right it is not like she is ever done anything special, she does not have high goals when it comes to portraying challenging characters I guess
DIBAKER BANERJEE.

I don't even care what the movie's about, I'm watching this movie twice xD
t4s...im hpin BG breaks 3 idiots records 2
Kareena needs to find better words to promote her films. She is so bad at promoting. I think the main reason she says Bodyguard is the best role of my career is because she heard many times her fans want to see her in a challenging role. So she thinks by saying its the best role...her fans would rush to the theater to see it. I have seen bodyguard, she is good..made me cry..but there is no way it was her best role in her career. ðŸ˜†