Celebrity Fan Clubs
Celebrity Fan Clubs

India-Forums

The Pirate Of Hearts Johnny Depp FC (Page 51)

kikyo IF-Dazzler
kikyo
kikyo

Posted: 07 November 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged

Edward Scissorhands(1990)

GENERAL INFORMATION

Once upon a time in a castle high on a hill lived an inventor whose greatest creation was named Edward. Although Edward had an irresistible charm, he wasn' t quite perfect. The inventor's sudden death left him unfinished, with sharp shears of metal for hands. Edward lived alone in the darkness until one day a kind Avon lady took him home to live with her and her family. And so began Edward's fantastical adventures in a pastel paradise known as Suburbia.

Director: Tim Burton

Cast: Johnny Depp ( character Edward ), Winona Ryder, Dianne Wiest, Anthony Michael Hall, Kathy Baker, Robert Oliveri, Conchata Ferrell, Caroline Aaron, Dick Anthony Williams, and Vincent Price

Awards & Nominations:

1991 GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS:
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical: Johnny Depp (Nominated)

ABOUT THIS MOVIE

• Johnny Depp had to lose a reported 25 pounds for the role of Edward Scissorhands. 
  • Johnny Depp said only 169 words in this film. 
  • Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey and Robert Downey Jr. were all considered for the role of Edward Scissorhands. Fox was insistent on having Burton meet with Tom Cruise. "He certainly wasn't my ideal, but I talked to him," Burton remembered. "He was interesting, but I think it worked out for the best. A lot of questions came up." Cruise wanted the ending to be "happier".
  • Although not publicly known, Burton's first choice for the role of Edward was Michael Jackson, but there were circumstances that made this impossible. Tom Hanks turned it down in favor of The Bonfire of the Vanities, William Hurt and Robert Downey, Jr. both expressed interest, and were considered
  • Although Burton was unfamiliar with Johnny Depp's then popular performance in 21 Jump Street, the actor had always been Burton's first choice At the time of his casting, Depp was wanting to break out of the teen idol status which his performance in 21 Jump Street had afforded him. When he was sent the script, Depp "wept like a newborn" and immediately found personal and emotional connections with the story
  • In preparation for the role, Depp watched many Charlie Chaplin films to study the idea of creating sympathy without dialogue.
  • Fox studio executives were so worried about Edward's image, that they tried to keep pictures of Depp in full costume under wraps until release of the film.
  • Edward Scissorhands eventually grossed $56,362,352 in North America, and $29,661,653 internationally, coming to a worldwide total of $86.02 million. With a budget of $20 million, the film was declared to be a box office success. The New York Times wrote "the chemistry between Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder, who are both engaged in real life, gave the film teen idol potential, drawing younger audience

Quotes from Johnny Depp:

"It was the first time I'd ever had to ask for help to go to the bathroom. And the last I hope - until I'm 100!"
--Johnny Depp
CBS Early Show

"I thought this one of the greatest things I've ever read, and, at the same time, I thought... this will never come to me. Never. Never."
--Johnny Depp
ABCNews.com

"I realized that (Edward Scissorhands) was something that was only going to come around once. I knew that I would never see this opportunity again. I felt so attached to the character and the story; then the reality set in. I was a TV boy. No director in his right mind would hire me to play this character. I had done no work otherwise [to show] that I could handle this kind of role."
--Johnny Depp
Depp by Christopher Heard

"I think that for the very uncomfortable first second I met Tim in a coffee shop in, I think it was 1989, there was something instant. There was an instant connection. It was a kind of understanding, a non-understanding, an appreciation for life and human behavior, for what is considered normal and what is not considered normal. There was a connection even in a deeper sense of having felt pretty outside growing up, and freakish, and a little bit weird. Also, Tim at a very young age was sort of obsessed with horror movies, monster movies and found -- as I had -- great sanctuary in those dark places."
--Johnny Depp
SplicedOnline.com

"When I met Tim it was for Edward Scissorhands, and at the time I was doing a television series (21 Jump Street) and I was just convinced he would never, ever see me in the role. Even though I knew that I knew that guy. I knew Edward Scissorhands. I knew that emotion so well. I had read the script and obviously thought it was very, very special and beautiful and funny, and I just thought there was no way he was going to see me as that, and I just thought, this is embarrassing, and I was very uncomfortable at first."
--Johnny Depp
SplicedOnline.com

"Tim and I, during that meeting, probably drank three or four pots of coffee each. And I was literally gnawing on my coffee spoon. I left the meeting still with my coffee spoon. I was wired beyond belief. Then at the end of the meeting, it felt great, it felt great, it felt great. (And I had to tell myself), 'get the thought out of your head, you are not going to be Edward Scissorhands.' But I got the part."
--Johnny Depp
SplicedOnline.com

"The thing is even if you're playing sort of a heightened character and playing inside sort of a heightened reality, you can still apply your own truths to those characters. It's funny because what happens to me when I read a script, when something grabs hold of me, I start getting these flashes of people or places or things or images. Like with Scissorhands, I kept thinking about dogs I had when I was a child, and newborn babies."
--Johnny Depp
CombustibleCelluloid.com

"It's like, if a dog is trying to please the master. It breaks something, you scold it, and it goes to the corner. But as soon as you call it, it comes right back. It forgets everything. Theres this unconditional love. I thought Edward would be like that."
--Johnny Depp
The Face

"I realised that Edward was all alone, and inside of all of us is this lonely little kid. Edward is a total outsider. I really know how that feels. And so, the eventually I found him. And Edward - he just clicked."
--Johnny Depp
NY Times

"Because Edward is not human, and not a robot, I didn't think that he would talk a lot. He would cut through everything and have the most honest, pure answer with all the clarity in the world."
--Johnny Depp
Rolling Stone

"It started out as about three, three and a half hours for makeup and hair. But we got it down to a very fast hour, hour and a half. We knew towards the end it would be exactly one can of AquaNet that would go on the hair and by the end I was helping the makeup artist apply the scars and stuff. We had it down."
--Johnny Depp
SplicedOnline.com

"Did I ever cut myself? Unfortunately, I cut other people. I lanced Anthony Michael Hall a couple of times. He was the recipient of the blades more than once. Once, there was a fight scene. The cops were chasing me down the neighborhood streets. I got him in the eye -- it was horrible -- with the pinky blade, which was really a sharp little bugger. He got that. It was not nice. Not nice."
--Johnny Depp
Reel.com

"I still have the leather suit and the hands at least I have something to fall back on. If things don't work out, in a couple of years I may be doing birthday parties at McDonalds - as Edward. You know 200 bucks a party."
--Johnny Depp
NY Times

"I can remember when I finished Edward Scissorhands, looking in a mirror as the girl was doing my makeup for the last time, putting on the appliances and the prosthetics, and thinking, wow. This is it. I'm saying goodbye to this guy. I'm saying goodbye to Edward Scissorhands. It was funny, I was kind of sad. But in fact, I think they're all still in there."
--Johnny Depp
CombustibleCelluloid.com

Quotes from others:

"The day we met (on the sound stage for Edward Scissorhands), he extended his hand to shake mine, except his hand was not a hand so much as it was weaponry. In place of fingers, there were blades. This was the sort of unpredictability I would later come to expect from Depp..."
-- Bill Zehme
Rolling Stone

"One night (Johnny) had to do a running sequence, running away from the house, I think at Christmas. And he passed out. He fell down and we thought, 'well is he acting? What's he doing?' and he'd passed out. Never complained, but he'd passed out from the heat of the suit. It was really remarkable, but somehow very revealing about him and that quality comes through his acting."
--Diane Wiest
Biography Channel

"Johnny is very much known as a teen idol and he's perceived as difficult and aloof. As a person he's a very funny, warm, great guy. He's a normal guy - at least my interpretation of normal - but he's perceived as dark and difficult and weird and is judged by his looks, but he's almost completely the opposite of this perception. So the themes of Edward, the image and perception, of somebody being perceived to be the opposite of what he is, was the theme he could relate to."
--Tim Burton
What's Eating Johnny Depp by Nigel Goodall

"I'm glad Johnny did it. I can't really think of anyone else who would have done it for me that way."
--Tim Burton
Depp by Christopher Heard

Edited by kikyo - 07 November 2011 at 9:19am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

mahi12saba113Beautiful-Soul

Beautiful-Soul IF-Sizzlerz
Beautiful-Soul
Beautiful-Soul

Posted: 07 November 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged
Edward Scissorhands is one of my most favorite movies Starit is such a beautiful film and Johnny Depp is awesome in this movie ..Starever since i came to know the Johnny was not nominated for oscars for this movie i have stopped considering oscars some sort of honorable awardsThumbs Down

mahi12saba113kikyo

kikyo IF-Dazzler
kikyo
kikyo

Posted: 07 November 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged
Edward Scissorhands is really a very good film ClapThis movie simply touched my heartApprove..it makes you feel happy, it makes you feel sad , it makes you laugh, it makes your eyes fill with tears ...it's really a brilliant movieThumbs UpJohnny Depp's perfomance in this movie is mind blowing , excellent StarEdward speaks less mostly conveys his feelings through expressions and Johnny has done a wonderful job with expressions ..i am glad after so many considertaions for Edward's role it went to the best person Johnny Depp who handeled it so beautifully ...Clapi simply cannot imagine anyone else in the role of Edward instead of Johnny Depp..he is too good in this movie ..infact all the cast has done good job they have all done their respective roles beautifully Clapfantastic movie Star

mahi12saba113Beautiful-Soul

Beautiful-Soul IF-Sizzlerz
Beautiful-Soul
Beautiful-Soul

Posted: 07 November 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged
In this movie Johnny Depp shows his great talent as an actor..without showing off his good looks without speaking much still he can deliver such a brilliant performance ...Clap

mahi12saba113kikyo

saba113 IF-Dazzler
saba113
saba113

Posted: 07 November 2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged
Edward Scissorhands is much more than just a cute and sad fairy tale,this movie is a true piece of art.ClapThis is one of those rarest cases when a bunch of talented , but truly dedicated people set out to create something beautifulClap, I  can barely hold my tears from the very beginning whenever I watch it. Cryit is such a heart warming film ...Clap, Johnny Depp's first real leading role in a movie, he's so young here  and so incredibly talentedStar. He plays Edward with perfect sympathy not over or under acting it,Clap to be honest I'm very much surprised he wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this movie,Confused but it's such a bizarre role, I think it was very over looked.OuchJohnny makes Edward into a charming beautiful character that you fall in love withEmbarrassedi so wish i meet Edward in real life i will keep him with me forever  and take good care of him..Big smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

mahi12kikyo

mahi12 Coolbie
mahi12
mahi12

Posted: 07 November 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged
Tim Burton should have won an academy award for Edward Scissorhands. It is truely a masterpiece. Never have I felt more sympathetic for a character before in my life.Johnny Depp should have also won an Academy Award for his performance in this film. Although he had very few lines in this film, , his facial expressions and actions spoke loudly. Every detail he gave his character was so perfect and precise. When Edward examines the water bed, and takes his first sip of what I'm guessing is scotch, or in the beginning when he takes his first ride ever in a car into town. Just the look on his face when he finally gets to see what the outside world looks like was pure genius.

I hold this movie very close to my heart. In my opinion it encompasses every human emotion and nature. When Edward first arrives the locals accepted him and he became a famed hair/bush stylist. In the end they turn on him and see him for what he looks like, a monster. i will give this 10/10Star

kikyosaba113

jdfan IF-Dazzler
jdfan
jdfan

Posted: 07 November 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged
Edward Scissorhands is really an amazing movieClap. The plethora of lush cinematography, beautiful musical score, and great characters are extremely entertaining. The storyline is simple yet very moving. I still get misty-eyed at the end, even though I watched it many times already. The musical scores awesomeClapJohnny Depp is outstanding as Edward Scissorhands, showing a kind of curious and bemused innocence within in the character, but at the same time a restrained passion. Every expression on his face is full of raw emotion: every cautious smile, and every time of hurt and confusion. Johhny Depp is Edward Scissorhands.Clap This is a wonderful fable from the brilliant imagination of Tim Burton.This movie is amazing, and I was entranced by it the very first time I watched it.

This movie impressed me to such an extent, that I had trouble sleeping for the first few nights after I saw it, not because he scared me. I just kept thinking about this guy who had scissors for hands, and was so unfamiliar with the world,He had a wonderful talent for making things with his unique hands, but he was still confused about the way the world worked.He finally wound up back where he began, which in a macabre sort of way was where he belonged, because his background just wouldn't let him fit into a so called normal world.The ending Is very sadCryEdward Scissorhands is heart-warming, poetic, tragic, and comedic. An all-in-one movieStar
I love this movie very much.Star

mahi12saba113kikyo

mahi12 Coolbie
mahi12
mahi12

Posted: 07 November 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged
When I first watched Edward Scissorhands, my favorite movie of all time, the only reason I saw it was because I was an avid Johnny Depp fan, loving his looks and acting abilities. When I saw Edward Scissorhands, I was deeply moved. I saw Edward as a sweet, caring man, a special individual, a type of person I have only seen once. At the end of the movie, I had come to love Edward, and valued him as an unforgettable movie character. At the end, I cried so hard. I was sobbing. It was horrible, yet sad, happy and beautiful all at the same time. Now every time I watch, I swear, I always cry

kikyosaba113

Go to top