Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mahi12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
The movie Arizona Dream gives a great account of how dangerous it can be to be caught up in your dreams and the little worlds those dreams can create and if you don't move beyond, you're dead alive. The only character that seems to be able to step out of his own little world and capable of reflecting is Axel...There are certain scenes in Arizona Dream that show things about Johnny Depp as a performer that I never would have suspected. In this film he stepped into a realm shared by characters in the films of Fellini and Brunuel. It pleases me that he can do art house as fantastically as this and do mainstream as well, although I do not entirely approve of the stuff that is too mainstream.His character is beautifully complex, he is a kook, but a sexy kook, and he is everything else besides. The other performances are also wonderful...but Depp 's performance isoutstanding in the movie..outshining all must say
Edited by mahi12 - 12 years ago
ButterflyOnRose thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Arizona Dream could ba a very good movie but i don't the that love triagle in the film..mother and daughter in love with the same man 😳 Faye Dunaway is a lot older to depp they look like mother son pairing ..which i don't like at all..moreover glad the version i saw that rubbishn scene was deleted just read about it and all i could sat yuck ..🤢one paring wrong then such scenes ..🤢 Johnny Depp is awesome in the movie ..Depp was a young talent in 1993.The role of young Axel is just the right part for the man who picks unconventional roles...and not to forget he is just so cute and hot and dreamy in the movie 😍 Thanks for the posting the pics ..but seriously, cannot.leave .aptop.now ..need to keep gushing ...died 😆haye😍 Edited by sidra08 - 12 years ago
BeautyBabe thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Arizona Dream...The word "dream" comes up at least a dozen times in this movie, characters recounting dreams, or the film seamlessly showing them on screen, and appropriately it begins with a ten minute dream sequence(You only know it's a dream sequence because you're told it is afterwards), of an Eskimo in the snowy wilderness, catching a strange fish with both eyes on the same side, the Eskimo later becomes sick and is nursed back to health by his wife. From there we meet the dreamer Depp, who tags fish in New York, a job he loves because, "Most people think I count fish, but I don't. I look at them. I look at their souls and read their dreams and then I let them into my dreams." Then aspiring actor cousin Vinccent Gallo shows up, and asks Depp to come back to Arizona with him for his Uncle Jerry Lewis's wedding. Depp goes back and accepts a job selling Cadillacs, his uncles dream for them, until he meets an eccentric mother/daughter pair, the suicidal turtle obsessed accordion playing Lili Taylor and her vivacious, flighty, sexually aggressive mother, the latter Depp becomes immediately enamored with. Depp and Dunaway begin a very matter of fact and all consuming relationship (he leaves his job and uncles house and refuses to leave). After hearing of Dunaway's dreams to fly as a young girl, Depp decides and spends most of the movie, attempting to build her a flying machine. Meanwhile, Lili Taylor is sabotaging the machine, and Vincent Gallo is busy practicing his acting chops ..

good performances by Depp and  Gallo outshining the others ..Depps relationships in the movie  are passionate, sincere, but essentially child like, he doesn't know what to name how he fells about Dunaway so it must be "love". While Dunaway and her daughter are more two halves of the same person, stuck in an isolated country house, both with half the maturity and vitality the other needs..For the most part the movie is all comic smiles, and surreal shots of fish flying in the sky at random, but towards the end, the film takes somber tones, as the dream/relationships end...
There were a few moments of emotional disconnect where the characters actions make little if any literal sense (the Russian roulette scene), but do give a greater sense of the contradictory emotions which almost all of the characters deal with, except Gallo, whose clearly just there for fun.Arizona Dream , the political allegory of Underground is replaced here with a very internal story of dreamy sensations, fleeting passions, conflicting dreams, conflicting loves, growing up, and magical fish

BeautyBabe thumbnail
Originally posted by: sidra08

Arizona Dream could ba a very good movie but i don't the that love triagle in the film..mother and daughter in love with the same man 😳 Faye Dunaway is a lot older to depp they look like mother son pairing ..which i don't like at all..moreover glad the version i saw that rubbishn scene was deleted just read about it and all i could sat yuck ..🤢one paring wrong then such scenes ..🤢 Johnny Depp is awesome in the movie ..Depp was a young talent in 1993.The role of young Axel is just the right part for the man who picks unconventional roles...and not to forget he is just so cute and hot and dreamy in the movie 😍 Thanks for the posting the pics ..but seriously, cannot.leave .aptop.now ..need to keep gushing ...died 😆haye😍

i agree even i didn't like the love triangle and also Depp Dunaway pairing😳 ...and Depp what i can say about him in this movie he is  so young and handsome .. his first major role after Edward Scissorhands Edited by kikyo - 12 years ago
saba113 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Life can be hard work, especially when you try to make a living counting fish, like Johnny Depp's characterin Arizona Dream .. Axel, or selling cars, like Leo Sweetie (Jerry Lewis) and Paul Leger (Vincent Gallo), or trying to fly, like Elaine Stalker (Faye Dunaway). . In "Arizona Dream", Elaine tries to take off anyway, simply because it's her dream. Emir Kusturica more or less did the same thing, trying to make an impossible movie about Eskimos, a Cadillac dealership and the Man in the Moon. "Arizona Dream" isn't exactly a polished work of art. It's more a ragbag of ideas. But then, these ideas are among the finest you will find. So it may be a ragbag, but it's a ragbag bursting with energy and passion and fine lines and acting, as good as it gets. . Needless to say, Johnny Depp makes a great confused youngster, Vincent Gallo, you've never seen him so healthy-looking and clean-cut, and chances are you won't ever again. Lili Taylor has her Parker Posey moment as pretty, amazing, self-destructive Grace, and if you don't know that's a compliment, you don't know anything. Towards the end, there is a scene that's literally to die for. Riding with his dying uncle Leo, Axel looks out the back window as the ambulance speeds away from Paul and Millie, Leo's gorgeous twenty-something bride (Paulina Porizkova). Billy Idol is singing "In the Deathcar". Caught in the nowhere land between life and death, Leo mumbles: "I gotta start climbing. It's a long way, Axel. It's a long way to the moon."
jdfan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
 Arizona  dream ...some movies only work if we let ourselves carry away by them. They present a surrealistic imagination world that comes from the mind of their creators. They are hard to watch, especially when they mix real characters that live their lives sometimes awaken, or inside one big dream or their own dreams.

Axel Blackmar (Johnny Depp) is a dreamer, and an unusual example of personal choices. His parents died and he went to New York, to work with fish. He could have sold cars with his uncle Leo (Jerry Lewis), but he's there, talking with that monotonous voice about what he does. Maybe it was a simple dream, where an Eskimo catches a fish with two eyes on the same side, and tells his kids to go out with their dog so he and his wife can…And the kid with the dog allow to see an orange balloon that seems to go from Alaska to New York, where Alex sleeps in a truck. "Wake up, Columbus", the words of his mother and Axel's hope to find something in the land already discovered by that man.

Alongside fish flying through the air, we join Axel to be the best man of his uncle's wedding. With his friend Paul Leger (Vincent Gallo), the untiring chats go from movies to philosophies about cakes, pies and bananas. Paul is an actor: "I'm having a great performance on Friday", he says. "It's an audition", Axel says to humiliate him. The truth is that it's not even an audition. This stuff lived by Axel is a story for us, but is a personal rediscovering and rethought of decisions in life for the character. When he sees Elaine (Faye Dunaway) he feels something strong, but doesn't know how to call it. Days later he becomes the lover of a woman decades older than him. Elaine's daughter, Grace (Lili Taylor) is also there, and it doesn't goes long until Axel finds himself in a crossroad between the heart of two women, that as he describes them, are "too similar and big to be in the same world".

David Atkin's story and screenplay comes plagued of phrases that could come out of a lunatic's mouth, but they fit in the film's context and twist your head at maximum. "I've got to climb…It's a long way to the moon"; "I'm gonna live forever until I become a turtle…They have infinite lives", besides scenes of well known movies in crucial moments. And what music (Goran Bregovic)! And what editing (Andrija Zafranovic)! And what cinematography (Vilko Filac)! And what director! Known for his originality, recognized director Emir Kusturica puts his own signature to his movie, collaborating in the story he must have dreamed a little to; giving life to the dream with his flying camera, full of unexpected turns and in love of its surroundings. What he achieves is greater words, although not everybody could understand it, and, for that matter, appreciate it.

And his actors…Jerry Lewis in a total comprehension of his character, and so involved in his work that you wouldn't believe it. .  Lili Taylor is an  interesting character here. The silent daughter that could be crazy but no one can really tell. With imagination and freedom, Taylor makes her character believable and not as overacted as it might be. Vincent Gallo, a wonderful performance his fans shouldn't miss.

But Depp…How can I explain? I've said it a lot, surely, but I will repeat it. He's like a magician, but not with the cards and the hat and the tricks. He is with his face, his looks, his way of talking, his perfection of movement…But it's not really something technical: "in the acting world, Johnny Depp is a magician". I'm sure he still has plenty of that for us, but here is where he let us know first.

In one scene, Vincent Gallo's character Paul, an actor, requests that no one touches his face, because it's important. "Do you think they touch Brando's face? Do you think they touch Pacino's, De Niro's? Do you think they touch Johnny Depp's face? I don't know then, but not know; and if they did before, they shouldn't have.
AdorableAnusha thumbnail
i haven's seen Arizona  dream ..will see it ..but after reading you all's comments but one thing i hate love triangles ..😳and what's this mother and daughter in love with the same guy 😕
jdfan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: lilly2

i haven's seen Arizona  dream ..will see it ..but after reading you all's comments but one thing i hate love triangles ..😳and what's this mother and daughter in love with the same guy 😕

we all do...me , sidra , jia 😆but we are commenting on the rest aspects of movie excluding that weird traingle ..😳 mother and daughter in love with the same man..mother shame ..he can be your son🤓
BeautyBabe thumbnail

Johnny Depp - Arizona Dream Interview

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK4lzJNGNR4[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by kikyo - 12 years ago
BeautyBabe thumbnail

Arizona Dream Behind Scenes

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJhjbI4C8s[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrTpfKm35A&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]