Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago

I don't know the details of the Jan Lokpal bill as proposed by Anna Hazare and the alternative considered by the government. I don't know what the differences are, or what the merits, demerits of each is. So I cannot say much about it. In my defense I'm no longer an Indian resident or citizen. But I could tell you what the provisions of the WI budget repair bill was and exactly why I protested against it.

I support Anna Hazare and the Indian anti-corruption movement. I admire the current generation of Indian citizens as they no longer are apathetic and are raising their voices for their rights. However, what bothers me is that amidst all the enthusiasm, grass roots democracy and honest will to make changes, there is a sense of ignorance. Very few people are able to cite the details, differences and explain why they support one version of Lokpal over another.

There is absolutely no doubt that Anna Hazare is an upright, honest citizen striving to do what is best for India. There is no shred of doubt that our politicians are used to corrupt means and will try their best to make anti-corruption measures as blunt as possible. At the same time democracy is a complex system. There is no instant gratification. Every bill, law, amendment must be carefully discussed, thought through and implemented. Democratic procedures don't cater to narrow interests, but to a diverse population so every viewpoint needs to be consider. Anna and his associates have worked on this for years, even before the movement gained moment. He has definitely drafted what he rationalized to be the best. However, he is but one ordinary citizen. He is not perfect or infallible. It is impossible for one man to have considered every alternative, addressed every loophole and concern. It would be prudent for people to take some pause, consider alternatives, revisions, think about implementation, challenges and other issues relevant to the Lokpal bill and be willing to update Anna's draft. I don't think hastily pushing a bill through is the best option.

That being said neither Anna Hazare or his followers are blackmailers or doing wrong in any means. They merely reflect the gravity of the situation. Corruption is crippling India and finally the people have had enough. The government has taken the people for granted and abused their power. For the longest time people in power thought that they were in control and people could do nothing. Anna Hazare and the support he garners is absolutely necessary to ensure that the government is held accountable to the people. As V said "People should not fear the government, government should fear the people".  While I think the bill should not be rushed and moved forward carefully step by step, the anti-corruption movement should carry on as is full steam ahead putting pressure on every corrupt individual that they better watch out, the people will hold them accountable and punish them severely.

As for communities denouncing the movement. That has been the problem with India all along. Every special interest, every sub group, every minority, every community feels entitled and wants things catered to them. They wont participate unless there is something in it for their interest. Thankfully, this is changing and the support for Anna Hazare is the most diverse in a long time. People know that everyone is a victim of corruption, Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Brahmin, Dalit does not matter.

This religious stuff is total BS. We had a topic on Vande Mataram in the past. The words are symbolic not literal. I myself find it ludicrous to pay obeisance to land or another entity. But that's not the point, the words represent patriotism – love and dedication to ones homeland – and not literal obeisance. Most importantly you support movements because of what they stand for and that they do good, not based on where the idea stemmed for.

When I protested against the budget repair bill the majority of protestors were White Christians – but that did not stop the Indians, Hispanics or Asians from being there. Many had Christian perspectives and protested on the basis of what would Jesus do or that workers rights are Christian values. That did not change my mind because I'm not a Christian and don't subscribe to a lot of Christian values. Its all about the bigger picture. If something is good for the nation, I don't give a damn if the majority thought of it or if it was inspired by one religion, its good and I support it. If something is wrong for the nation, I don't give a damn if it was thought of by people of my religion or community, its wrong and I stand against it. Most sane people do that, its only fanatics and lunatics who think narrowly and selfishly.

Pratamesh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
If anybody thinks its a blackmail than her is an example from history what will u call it?? Babasaheb ambedkar(has written our constitution and a dalit) was fighting for d rights of dalit people at the time when independence fight was going on he wanted dalits to be treated equally so he started a fight against the so called higher class people at that time when gandhiji came to knw about this he went on a fast forcing babasaheb to stop his fight saying that it was the time for unity and that all people needed to be together against british rule and said not to divide people on communal lines when gandhi died after that reservation came becoz babasaheb said when all the higher class people tortured and divided d community that time no one said anythng bt when time came for equal rights u r talking that all people should be equal wasnt that a blackmail too?
dkmystery thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: monar

now that every other new channel covering IAC protest stating that Anna's demands are more of a blackmail than protest, what do you guys think? Specially knowing the fact, many participating in the protest dont even know what actually Jan Lok Bill is and how different it is form Govt prototype

bec everyone is suffering from corruption, and it is against that, that those who don't know 'bout the bill also, have come out...
only a person living under a rock won't know about Jan Lokpal Bill, but still this video will help a lot. If even this doesn't, then god help 😆

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CHcKlIsvAQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
dkmystery thumbnail
After the Dalit card played by the govt, we got the, Congress supporting Bukhari 🥱 who when stumped by Shabana Azmi, called her a nachnewali...
what wonderful language 👏

but luckily there are a lot of Muslims who have brains and understand right from wrong 👏

http://arabnews.com/world/article492801.ece

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/Muslim-women-board-lends-support-to-Anna/articleshow/9714702.cms
dkmystery thumbnail
The Britishers must have felt the same when Indians were fighting for independence.. that hey, these protestors are blackmailing us.. most of them don't even know the importance of independence!!!

It is highly comical that Congress spokesman Manish Tiwari, at the backing of the party, stupidly claimed that Anna Hazare is a corrupt person, who had deserted Army.
Even though it is illegal, they came to know about the correspondence of the RTI petition regarding Hazare, n started jumping up n down 😆

Now that the Army has declared that Hazare was "honourably" discharged from the armed forces on completion of the 12 years of his service, Tiwari is no where to be seen 🤣
monar thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: zorrro

some see it as blackmail as the govt is being forced to accept the jan lok pal as it is without any discussion or compromise by the supporters of anna hazare. Some people also that it does not represent all the citizens as some have kept away from it and have some objections eg The Muslim, sikh, and dalit community appear to be maintaining a distance. They have expressed concerns regarding the majority arm twisting the govt to pass policies in favour of the majority. Thats looks a new twist to the movt. The Muslims have objection to the vande mataram and Jai hind slogans by the crowd 😕 the sikhs are probably quiet bcoz of a sikh PM.  😕

there are severe misconceptions, I have many Sikh and Muslim friends of mine who are supporting the movement with the same zeal. With this logic every person from south should support PC and every Delhite Sheila Dixit and Sibbal? nope that doesnt work

dkmystery thumbnail

Originally posted by: zorrro

some see it as blackmail as the govt is being forced to accept the jan lok pal as it is without any discussion or compromise by the supporters of anna hazare. Some people also that it does not represent all the citizens as some have kept away from it and have some objections eg The Muslim, sikh, and dalit community appear to be maintaining a distance. They have expressed concerns regarding the majority arm twisting the govt to pass policies in favour of the majority. Thats looks a new twist to the movt. The Muslims have objection to the vande mataram and Jai hind slogans by the crowd 😕 the sikhs are probably quiet bcoz of a sikh PM.  😕

u say, without discussion, Team sent letters and requested for appointments, none were acknowledged. After the 1st fast, the govt accepted and then brought their lame Bill. If this isn't true, why is the Govt not raising this issue? 😆

Only that Dalit Chandrabhan is shouting as to why the Dalits were not included in the protest, why do people wait for an invitation card? This is always a govt tactic to divide Indians into religions n casts, first the Britishers did and now the Indian politicians. This campaign is against corruption, those who love it can stay at home and cry.

It is only that Bukhari who supports Congress, who said that Muslims shouldn't support and in return got a good bashing from other sane Muslim organizations.
As for Sikhs, u should watch the news and get in touch with your Sikh friends. Coz my Sikh friends are supporting it whole heartedly!

If some day India faces a war situation, I think such people who look into Dalit, Muslim cards everywhere, will sit at home saying no one invited them to defend the nation!! 👎🏼

This is our Govt, whom the Indians have elected. We have the right to ask questions and tell them what we want. But in these 64 yrs, they have gone into the habit that the public is their servant and no one can raise questions. Real democracy isn't where these public servants act as rulers and do what they want. This attitude has to go.

Do you mean to say that the Dalits Muslims and Sikhs want corruption, since according to you the majority are: "
arm twisting the govt to pass policies in their favour"
monar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Darklord_Rehan

One of the reason I don't support Jan Lokpal Bill is that it is too much inclined towards Direct Democracy and undermines Representative Democracy. While the former might be appealing to a layman, its also the most dangerous form of democracy. If all the power is vested in the hands of people, they will always bully the government and the legislature to work on their terms even if that is against the interest of the nation in long terms. The system of Justice and Constitutional Law shall be completely destroyed and that will do more harm than good.

Secondly the IAC leaders need to distance themselves from the 'Spiritual' gurus and stop rubbing shoulders with the likes of Sadhvi Rithambra and quasi-fascist organizations they are associated with if IAC wishes to maintain the secular and democratic character of this movement in the eyes of the nation.

Lastly, What the fish!! This 'Vande mataram and Jai Hind is un-Islamic' crap is not yet over?? I am sure most secular and liberal Muslims never had and shall never have any objection to singing these songs or 'worshiping' their Motherland. Its the fundamentalist who are the pain in the ass and its due to these few freaks entire Muslim community are frowned at. I was really sad to see Javed Akhtar, who's a self-proclaimed atheist and one of the most secular people I have heard, was being accused of being traitor and was asked to leave India in the Twitter. Though its not really related to the topic, kindly go through this article - http://idrw.org/?p=3596

,l

- I agree, the most dangerous lever of JLP is anarchy, but stil we need to have some format of it. JLP might not be the best, after these many scams I want PM under LP

- Now here I dont understand why will anyone have problems with spiritual gurus? Sadhvi Ritambhara I understand, but Sri Sri? he  always give statements after any big events in India, so why distancing him in this cause? IAC already made itself clear on RSS linkage.

-Javed Akhtar  was never targeted for his comments, but for him defending his wife's biases. I hope you remember the statement Mrs Shabana Azmi made after 26/11, that was indeed most unrealistic, and irresponsible comment by a tabloid personality & Javed Akhtar tried to rectify her. thnk god I have my muslim friends who identifies these dual faced personalitie
s .
monar thumbnail
@_dkmystery_ govt hv severe foot in mouth decease & tiwari is no exception
dkmystery thumbnail

Originally posted by: monar

@_dkmystery_ govt hv severe foot in mouth decease & tiwari is no exception

😆 true! and I bet within a month he'll be there speaking for the party or will be given some other position. Just like Diggi, who had boasted that if he lost in Madhya Pradesh, he won't take any position but we see him blabbering on every news channel 🤢 🥱