Tumhari Disha
Tumhari Disha

Thanksgiving story

lilly Senior Member
lilly
lilly

Posted: 24 February 2005 at 8:22am | IP Logged
The Thanksgiving Story

The Pilgrims who sailed to this country aboard the Mayflower were originally members of the English Separatist Church (a Puritan sect). They had earlier fled their home in England and sailed to Holland (The Netherlands) to escape religious persecution. There, they enjoyed more religious tolerance, but they eventually became disenchanted with the Dutch way of life, thinking it ungodly. Seeking a better life, the Separatists negotiated with a London stock company to finance a pilgrimage to America. Most of those making the trip aboard the Mayflower were non-Separatists, but were hired to protect the company's interests. Only about one-third of the original colonists were Separatists. The Pilgrims set ground at Plymouth Rock on December 11, 1620. Their first winter was devastating. At the beginning of the following fall, they had lost 46 of the original 102 who sailed on the Mayflower. But the harvest of 1621 was a bountiful one. And the remaining colonists decided to celebrate with a feast -- including 91 Indians who had helped the Pilgrims survive their first year. It is believed that the Pilgrims would not have made it through the year without the help of the natives. The feast was more of a traditional English harvest festival than a true "thanksgiving" observance. It lasted three days. Governor William Bradford sent "four men fowling" after wild ducks and geese. It is not certain that wild turkey was part of their feast. However, it is certain that they had venison. The term "turkey" was used by the Pilgrims to mean any sort of wild fowl. Another modern staple at almost every Thanksgiving table is pumpkin pie. But it is unlikely that the first feast included that treat. The supply of flour had been long diminished, so there was no bread or pastries of any kind. However, they did eat boiled pumpkin, and they produced a type of fried bread from their corn crop. There was also no milk, cider, potatoes, or butter. There was no domestic cattle for dairy products, and the newly-discovered potato was still considered by many Europeans to be poisonous. But the feast did include fish, berries, watercress, lobster, dried fruit, clams, venison, and plums. This "thanksgiving" feast was not repeated the following year. But in 1623, during a severe drought, the pilgrims gathered in a prayer service, praying for rain. When a long, steady rain followed the very next day, Governor Bradford proclaimed another day of Thanksgiving, again inviting their Indian friends. It wasn't until June of 1676 that another Day of Thanksgiving was proclaimed. On June 20, 1676, the governing council of Charlestown, Massachusetts, held a meeting to determine how best to express thanks for the good fortune that had seen their community securely established. By unanimous vote they instructed Edward Rawson, the clerk, to proclaim June 29 as a day of thanksgiving. It is notable that this thanksgiving celebration probably did not include the Indians, as the celebration was meant partly to be in recognition of the colonists' recent victory over the "heathen natives," (see the October of 1777 marked the first time that all 13 colonies joined in a thanksgiving celebration. It also commemorated the patriotic victory over the British at Saratoga. But it was a one-time affair. George Washington proclaimed a National Day of Thanksgiving in 1789, although some were opposed to it. There was discord among the colonies, many feeling the hardships of a few Pilgrims did not warrant a national holiday. And later, President Thomas Jefferson scoffed at the idea of having a day of thanksgiving. It was Sarah Josepha Hale, a magazine editor, whose efforts eventually led to what we recognize as Thanksgiving. Hale wrote many editorials championing her cause in her Boston Ladies' Magazine, and later, in Godey's Lady's Book. Finally, after a 40-year campaign of writing editorials and letters to governors and presidents, Hale's obsession became a reality when, in 1863, President Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday in November as a national day of Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving was proclaimed by every president after Lincoln. The date was changed a couple of times, most recently by Franklin Roosevelt, who set it up one week to the next-to-last Thursday in order to create a longer Christmas shopping season. Public uproar against this decision caused the president to move Thanksgiving back to its original date two years later. And in 1941, Thanksgiving was finally sanctioned by Congress as a legal holiday, as the fourth Thursday in November.

The reason I posted this story is though I am a hindu by heart  and love to celebrate all celebrations, holi, dusshera, diwali all other religious  festivals have attracted me and one American Tradition is thanksgiving which has come to be my favourite ( I am a vegetarian). Though it's days away in November, the reason I chose to post it is that through this forum in TD , Though I do not know anyone personally I feel so much to thank you all about. To Disha and Lata for there excellant  updates, and all of you folks Smisha, DK addict, Alisha, Nishani and every participant in the forum who take the time to read the posts and post such witty and diverse Ideas which keep this forum as my favourite internet site. I feel I have a large family with whom we are exchanging our views. Hope this forum never comes to an end. Thank you all for making everyday of my life full of joy, everytime I open my computer and access internet TD is my first stop and before shutting TD is my last site.

Thanks and Love to all

Lilly

dkaddict Senior Member
dkaddict
dkaddict

Posted: 24 February 2005 at 9:45am | IP Logged

Aaaaaaaawwwwww! Cry Tears of joy! I'm so touched you mentioned me personally! I feel so special now! Big smile 

I myself observe Hindu and western holidays- I'm not even Indian! I just love Janmashtami!!!! Actually, my favorite is probably Govardhan-puja, which celebrates the occasion of Sri Krishna lifting Govardhan hill to protect the residents of Vraj from the wrath of Indradev. It also takes place in the fall...

We love u 2 Lilly!

-DKaddict

disha77 Groupbie
disha77
disha77

Posted: 24 February 2005 at 8:57pm | IP Logged

That was so touching Lilly.....you are awesome!

I am a Hindu Brahmin by birth, but rarely go to a temple. I am married into a very traditional but unorthodox Hindu family. I am quite irreligious but at the same time spritiually inclined......I visit a nearby Church regularly and my hubby & I go to Salim Chishti's dargah once a year (we had prayed for a baby there..........and God answered our prayers!)

I strongly & deeply believe there is a God, but the paths to reach him could be manifold & I do not like to bind myself or anyone else by societal norms or customs to reach him / her!

Since I stay with my mom-in-law, we celebrate all Hindu Festivals, some of which you may never even have heard of! I observe Navrathra's (both times of the year) but do not fast on Karva Chauth (hubby does not approve of it, says there are other means of proving love than starving the whole day!). I have friends from all religions and hence my life is one big celebration the whole year round!

Religon has become so irrelevant these days, especially for people of our generation but at the same time the need to get to closer to God has increased!

Lilly, thanks for writing the wonderful note.....and yes, we love you a lot!

Disha

lilly Senior Member
lilly
lilly

Posted: 25 February 2005 at 4:28am | IP Logged

Dk addict and Disha thank you for your response, I really felt very senti and emotional and more loved ,after reading your comments. Dk addict , It's a pleasure to read that you enjoy hindu festivals as much as we do, well I agree that all the festivals have to be enjoyed as there is so much joy in life to celebrate, I still have my christmas decoration outdoors which havent  removed yet , every weekend when I plan to do, it starts snowing or I am away  and I change my mind as it looks more like X mas

Di it sounded so touching that you went to Salim Chisti Ki dargah at Fatephur for manat for your little one ( Badshah Akbar actually did the same and built the dargah if I am not mistaken) I also had tied threads in the dargah long back and my manat was granted, next time I am in India , I need to go back and  convey my gratitude .

I agree with you so much more happiness and joy in life when you join with all the festivities and respect everybodies religion and thoughts

Tahnk you ladies you have made my day

.....Lata..... IF-Dazzler
.....Lata.....
.....Lata.....

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 6:27am | IP Logged

Hi Lilly, that was so touching. I am sorry for the delay in replying , but I happened to read it just now and could not stop myself from replying. I am a very very religous person. I am an Hindu, but we have always believed in all the religions and its importance and there is One GOD up there who is taking care of all of us. I am a firm believer in Lord Ganesh and my day begins and ends with prayers to the almighty. Everything is in GOD's hands and we are merely puppets in GOD's hands. Whatever we do we have to pay for it in this life here itself. Our Parents and elders have always taught us to live and let live and respect any person irrespective of their caste, creed, sex, religion, race etc etc. Thanks Lilly for these kinds words and I too love you all and need you all. Please keep me in your prayers too, I need Lord's blessings. Love you all friends and hope we are in touch always and always.

Love Lata

memsaab IF-Rockerz
memsaab
memsaab

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 8:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by dkaddict

Aaaaaaaawwwwww! Cry Tears of joy! I'm so touched you mentioned me personally! I feel so special now! Big smile 

I myself observe Hindu and western holidays- I'm not even Indian! I just love Janmashtami!!!! Actually, my favorite is probably Govardhan-puja, which celebrates the occasion of Sri Krishna lifting Govardhan hill to protect the residents of Vraj from the wrath of Indradev. It also takes place in the fall...

We love u 2 Lilly!

-DKaddict

Govardhan Pujaa falls between Laxmi Pujaa and Bhaiya Duuj. The three days are specially celebrated for Diwali out of five days, Fist day is Kaag (crow), second day is Kukur (Dog) Third day is Laxmi Pujaa, fourth day is Govardhan Pujaa and the Fifth day is Bhaiya Duuj.. In my country Govardhan Pujaa is also celebrated as Mhaa Puja. I don't know however why the Crow and Dog are worshipped on the first two days.. I'm not very religious and do not do the pujaa all the time but when I am feeling low, I go to the religious places and it makes me feel better. My sisters says to me.. so you do "Selfish pujaa.." I also visit temples when it is somebody's birthday in my family.. I do believe in all the religions and respect all the religions.. as I think that all the religions always teaches things to take in positive ways..

dkaddict Senior Member
dkaddict
dkaddict

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged

Actually, I am a convert to Gaudiya Vaisnavism, and so am really only familiar with what festivals they observe. Even my husband, who grew up in GV in India, doesn't know much about other Hindu festivals... with the exception of Durga-puja, since he is Bengali, and they go nuts over that! LOL I am always interested in learning about other religious groups and what they do, as I like to find the similarities, the common ground, that we all have. Also, I have not been able to leave behind the holidays I grew up with, though now I observe them in a somewhat different way.

"Selfish-puja" is better than no puja! Truly unmotivated puja is actually quite rare, there is usually some tinge of personal desire involved, but the process of worship is what purifies one of that. A wise man once said- don't criticize a man taking bath for being dirty! And if we don't take shelter of the Lord when down, then when will we? It is natural, as He is the Supreme Shelter! Sri Krishna advises His devotees in the Gita to come to Him for everything material and spiritual, as God is the ultimate source of all.

Ok, getting down off my pulpit/asana....Wink

-DKaddict

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top