Meera thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

We are giving out FREE Gmail Invites as a friendly gesture, exclusively for India Forums Members!

If you would like an invite please contact one of the following, by PM or Email:

Invitees  

Meera     
Vijay      
HUMM
rouble
Manjot
mumbai_masti

Only ONE invite per member. We will be making a list of members which have been invited below:

Invited

24th Feb: sidhant95, selinao
25th Feb: friend4u, Sunny Pahouja, simplyvivacious, dkaddict, anmol_5011
2nd March: gauri92, ExoticDivinity2
3rd March: funster, tulip, princessriya

Invitees, please check the invited section before you send invites! Thanks

Edited by Meera - 19 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vijay thumbnail

Hey Meera,

"Tumne meri aankhen khol di" 😆

You know I had 50 Gmail invites for quite sometime now and I didnt even thought about it (Silly Me). Ok I am with you. For all those who need GMail Accounts do send a PM with your email address to Meera and she'll send you Gmail invites.

Once she exhausts all her invites she will post it here. And then you all can send a PM to me.

Others also who want to help can form a chain that way.

Cheers,
Vijay

HUMM thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Hey friends,

U can also pm me incase you need gmail invitations. I have about 100 invitations with me.
Plz let me know incase you need them, I am sorry to those whom i could not provide the invitations before.Since I was out-of-station.

So please tell us incase you need them.

Gmail is a Cool email-service provider. Its fast, large in storage capacity[1000MB], cool spam reporter, and updates itself automatically to check new received mail.

Down I have pasted a detail feature of it.
Edited by HUMM - 19 years ago
HUMM thumbnail
What is Gmail?
As part of Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, we're testing an email service called Gmail.

Gmail is a free, search-based webmail service that includes 1,000 megabytes (1 gigabyte) of storage. The backbone of Gmail is a powerful Google search engine that quickly finds any message an account owner has ever sent or received. That means there's no need to file messages in order to find them again.

When Gmail displays an email, it automatically shows all the replies to that email as well, so users can view a message in the context of a conversation. There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail, which places relevant text ads and links to related web pages adjacent to email messages.

Quick Facts
  • Cost: Free
  • Storage: 1,000 megabytes
  • Languages: Only available in English during this testing period, but can be used to send and read emails in most languages
  • Access: Free automatic forwarding and POP3 access
  • Supported Browsers:
    - Microsoft IE 5.5+ (download: Windows)
    - Netscape 7.1+ (download: Windows Mac Linux)
    - Mozilla 1.4+ (download: Windows Mac Linux)
    - Mozilla Firefox 0.8+ (download: Windows Mac Linux)
    - Safari 1.2.1+ (download: Mac)
  • JavaScript and cookies must be enabled on all browsers

Screenshots
Gmail and privacyGmail and privacy
Inbox Features

Conversation View

Advanced Search

Frequently Asked Questions
  1. What makes Gmail different?
  2. How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?
  3. What about spam?
  4. What does Gmail do to prevent viruses?
  5. What about privacy?
  6. Why is Google offering email? I thought you were a search company.

1. What makes Gmail different?

Gmail uses Google search technology to automatically organize and find messages. And because Gmail includes 1,000 megabytes of storage, a typical user won't ever have to worry about deleting mail. Everything just gets archived so it can be found again if needed.

There are other differences in the way Gmail provides access to your email. For example, Gmail automatically groups an email and the replies to it as a conversation. That means you always see a message in its proper context. And there are no pop-ups or banner ads in Gmail, just relevant text ads and links to related pages. Gmail's other distinctive features include a labeling system, a spam reporter and a system for filtering your mail as it comes into your inbox. Learn more.

2. How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?

We're currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test.

3. What about spam?

We are committed to keeping unwanted messages out of your inbox. Gmail includes a sophisticated spam filter that we're continuing to improve. The Report Spam button in Gmail is a way for users to help with this effort. It removes spam from the inbox and sends valuable data to the Gmail team working on spam blocking.

4. What does Gmail do to prevent viruses?

We take the security of our users very seriously. Most computer viruses are contained in executable files, but while standard virus detectors scan messages for executable files that appear to be viruses, Gmail takes this one step further by not allowing executable files to be sent or received.

5. Are there ads in Gmail?

Yes, but they are small and unobtrusive. They don't fill half your screen and we don't make you read them just to get to your inbox. Ads are never inserted into the body text of either incoming or outgoing Gmail messages and you won't see any pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail.

Gmail users only see relevant text ads, similar to those on Google search results pages . The matching of ads to content is a completely automated process performed by computers. No humans read your email to target the ads, and no email content or other personally identifiable information is ever provided to advertisers.

Ads are matched using the same technology that powers the Google AdSense program, which already places targeted ads on thousands of sites across the web by quickly analyzing the content of pages and determining which ads are most relevant to them. Here's a sneak peek of how ads look in Gmail.

6. What about privacy?

Google respects our users' privacy. For details, please see the Gmail Privacy Policy. Google also take several steps to guard the confidentiality of users' information by offering a number of industry-leading protections. To learn more, please visit our section on Gmail and privacy.

7. Why is Google offering email? I thought you were a search company.

Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally useful and accessible. For many people, email contains valuable information that can be difficult to retrieve. We believe we can help with that.

Gmail uses Google search technology to find messages so users don't have to create folders and file their individual emails. Many of Gmail's other features also incorporate search technology to improve their effectiveness. Used this way, search enhances the efficiency of email, so we believe it's a natural area for Google to offer a service.
Meera thumbnail
Nice one HUMM!! Can always count on you to give us the technical information and thanks Vijay! 😉
HUMM thumbnail
What's new on Gmail?

Just Launched!

Thumbnails for image attachments
It's like seeing the trailer before you see the movie. Now you can get a sneak preview of your attachments.

Free access to your own stuff
It's your mail. You should be able to choose how and where you read it. Access your mail the way you want to, with free POP access and automatic forwarding. You can even switch to other email services without having to worry about losing access to your messages. Think of it as email portability.

• Free POP access
    Download your messages. Read them offline. Use your Blackberry or Outlook or just the good ol' web.

• Free automatic forwarding
    Forward new incoming messages to any email account you specify.

What's been keeping us busy

Ever since we began Gmail's limited test, we've been working hard to make it better. Here are a few of the features we've added:

• Import Contacts
    You've made a list. You've checked it twice. Now you never have to check it again. Move all your contacts from Yahoo! Mail, Outlook, and others to Gmail in just a few clicks. Then simply rely on our auto-complete feature to fill in your addresses as you're typing. Keep all your contacts in one place and keep in touch with all of them using Gmail.

• Gmail Notifier
    Want to know if you've got new mail? Let us do the checking so you don't have to. Find out when new messages arrive, and even see their subjects, senders and snippets, all without having to open a web browser.
  • Search your contacts
    With the new and improved Contacts list, search for a contact as easily as you would a message in Gmail. Add notes and phone numbers. View messages directly from the Contacts list.

• Signature options
    From the settings page, create a signature that's automatically added to the end of all your outgoing messages. Change it as often as you like, but always get the last word.
  • Safari browser support (versions 1.2.1 and newer).

• And last but not least...Save Drafts!

No more folders, filing or fumbling to find your mail

Email is supposed to be a productivity tool. So why spend time filing messages, then later trying to remember where you put them? And why delete important mail just to stay within some arbitrary storage limit?

Gmail makes email easy. With 1000 megabytes of free storage, you never need to throw messages away. And with a powerful built-in Google search engine, you no longer need to set up folders, file your mail, or remember where you stored your messages. Just search for what you want. You'll not only find the message you have in mind, but all the other messages that are part of the same conversation – arranged in chronological order so you can easily put everything in context.

(1) The secret is search
Google search is at the heart of Gmail. Fast, efficient, effective. Just type a few keywords into the search box and your message appears. You don't have to remember where you put your mail. That's our job.

(2) It's all in how you look at it
With Gmail, you'll see your messages in context. If there was a reply to a message you sent or received, Gmail will automatically display it in chronological order with the original. This conversation view continues to grow as you respond and new replies arrive, making it possible for you to follow the whole back and forth discussion in one place.

(3) Never lose a message again
You never know when you might need to see a message again. So why delete it? With Gmail, you can store your messages instead. A single click of your mouse moves messages out of your Inbox into a secure archive where you can quickly find them with a simple search. With 1000 megabytes of storage, you can even keep all your back issues of the Lemur Lover's newsletter.

(4) Filing email is not the best use of your time
Storing mail in folders with subfolders and nested sub-sub folders is not a productive way to spend your day. What's the point? With Gmail, you can find an entire email exchange organized as a conversation, just by searching for keywords that appear in any one of the emails that's part of it. If you want, you can further organize your messages by creating labels for them.

(5) Frying your spam
Google continues to work on spam filters to keep unwanted messages out of your inbox. However, spammers are deviously clever and adaptive. Defeating them will require your help. If you see a spam message, use the Report Spam feature to squash it. The spam will automatically be removed from your inbox and information about it will be reported to our quality team.

(6) It has ads. But only good ads.
Gmail isn't a traditional webmail account. There are no pop-ups, untargeted banner ads or warnings urging you to buy more storage. Gmail, however, will often place a few highly relevant, text ads adjacent to the body of your email. You'll also see links to related web pages you might find of interest.

These ads and links are displayed automatically using the same technology that powers our AdSense system, which delivers targeted ads to thousands of sites across the web. Computers scan the text on a given page, perform a mathematical analysis on it and match it to ads in our extensive database. No humans are involved in this process and no one reads your mail. You may find that hard to believe when you see how closely the ads match the topic of your message.

HUMM thumbnail
Originally posted by: Meera

Nice one HUMM!! Can always count on you to give us the technical information and thanks Vijay! 😉

Actually thanks to you meera for starting a excellent topic and helping out others!..👏👏
rouble thumbnail

I HAVE SOME INVITES TOO......SO IF ANYONE WANTS A GMAIL ACCOUNT PM ME AND I'LL SEND U AN INVITE.

Meera thumbnail

Can we keep the invites strictly to email and PM bases.. That way we only give out 1 invite per user.

Edited by Meera - 19 years ago
rouble thumbnail

how would we know that one person has send a PM to only one person and not all of us with diff email id's.

i would suggest that if anyone PM's anyone of us, we should post the name in this thread, that these people have got an invite. this way we will have a track and no one will more than one invite. everytime we get a PM we can come back here and see if the person with that username has already got an invite or not. i hope that helps.