Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Ipkknd a modern day Pride and Prejudice

lnp11 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Hi!  I am new at this.  Started watching this show a week ago and had to do some serious catching up.  Absolutely love the show.  Great acting, witty, clever dialogue,  nice music and well directed. 

However, I do not know if anyone has mentioned this earlier but doesn't this show remind you of 21st century Pride and prejudice.  The characters Arnav is Mr Darcy, the rich, arrogant, conceited land owner who has very little patience or respect for other people's feelings.  Khushi is Ms Elizabeth Bennett, who is chatty,  pretty, extremely vivacious, well read, and very attached to her father and close to her sister Jane/Payal  The mother's goal is to get all 5 daughters married off to wealthy guys.  However, since the girls do not much of an inheritance/dowry,  it is slim pickings and has the mother obsessing over it. 

Mr Darcy and Ms Bennett's romance is also an accident prone courtship, her pride is injured when he rejects her and then she in return rejects him when he proposes to her because of his prejudices. 

Mr. Darcy is a doting brother  to his only sister both parents died at a young age.  His sister is a sweet kind girl just like Anjali.  Shyamji/ Mr. Wickham the womanizer who tried to elope with Ms. Darcy and makes a bee line for Lizzy Bennett and finally ends up running away with Lydia Bennett, Lizzy's younger sister. 

Well, I hate to bore you.  It is one of my favourite stories.  Loved it when I read it 30years ago.  Loved Colin Firth when he did the BBC version.  Everyone wants to redo P & P.  I do think  Is Pyar Ko Kya Naam Doon is a fantastic new version of an old tale.  Great spin.  I just do not know why
we all love to watch brooding ruthless men.  Perhaps because they pick hunks to play them.