Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 7:16am | IP Logged
Hi friends , we have already discussed the issue that the fair colour fascinates us Indians and Pakistani's .  Now in my experience in my stay in the U.S i have noticed that We , Indians aren't particularly friendly with the African - American race .

Once in school , we had a exchange student from a African Country ( don't remember where ) . I remember in school people used to whisper nasty things about the boy - calling names " k***", B****** ,N**** . While these are Racist insults , we didn't even realise it was wrong to do so . People didn't even bother making friends with this poor chap . I suppose this boy would've left our Country with a poor impression.Ouch

In the U.S i noticed that my Indian friends have these biases against African - Americans . Although i live in a safe neighbourhood , but i have a mixed community around me . I have seen some of my friends comment about my African - American neighbours in a crude manner . Once we were playing ball in my yard , when our ball went over to the neighbours . My friends reaction was that hope these guys don't shoot us if we ask for our ball back .Ouch Also another friend commented she did not feel safe driving around my neighbourhood at night !!!Confused

I'd like your comments on this subject !!Smile

Edited by Aparna_BD - 12 January 2006 at 2:03pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Are we Asians Racists ?????" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

jasunap

IF-Sizzlerz

jasunap

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged
i think we are as much racists as the person next door. i live in SA where the black population is higher. and so is the crime rate all over africa. i have seen their despondency towards just about everything.like in every other community and race there are good people and bad people. but i find that they are themselves more colour conscious than most of the other races. when i lived in the UK some 10 years back, they would not deign to sit next to you in the bus. they would sit next to the whites but not the coloured (as the asians were called) the irony of it was, the white would get up and leave the seat empty when a black person sits next to them but more often than not, and remain seated if an asian takes a seat by their side. i have never been able to figure this out, but the black friend i had would patiently explain to me that folks are rather scared of their height and weight and sometimes expressionless face. they believe that their colour does not permit the expression on their face unless you looked at their eyes when talking.

back here in SA 'tis a different story altogether. they despise the asians for making it big during apartheid, for sticking within their community by starting schools etc. for qualities which they feel they do not possess.

i'm not justifying apartheid or their attitude, but just telling you what most of them have told me. i shall discuss this with some more of my friends and come back again on this topic!

Edited by jasunap - 12 January 2006 at 11:32pm

sweet freedom

IF-Dazzler

sweet freedom

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged
well, we might be...i dont think i am, but i may be, wee have a new girl in our form, and i think she is an african, or jamaica, im not sure...but im fine, and i usedf to have a friend who was a half-cast(jamaican and british) and i was friends with her, so i dont think i am Embarrassed

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by goth princess

well, we might be...i dont think i am, but i may be, wee have a new girl in our form, and i think she is an african, or jamaica, im not sure...but im fine, and i usedf to have a friend who was a half-cast(jamaican and british) and i was friends with her, so i dont think i am Embarrassed

For your admitting it !!!ClapClap Excellent it takes courage to admit such a thing . You may have felt that" i don't  want to  be too friendly with the African - American girl ......maybe because i wonder what the other kids will think ".

I suppose thats  the first step , to acknowledge you have such feelings and they aren't right .
Maybe you could try making an extra effort to be friendly with her !Tongue

zhasan2

IF-Rockerz

zhasan2

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged
African-American people are like the rest of us. Some of us are good and some bad. It doesn't have anything to do with the skin color. I don't have much experiance,though, because I have never had an African-American in any of my classes at school.

SuperDuper01

SuperDuper01

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged
Hmmmmmmmmmm...........Yeh! u r Rite Apurna!
I agree wid ya.........
But Americans and Africans ETC r also not so good wid us............
I hav experienced dizzzzzz thing myself many timess......They really hate Asianssssss.......
So Itssssss a Two way thing........forget abt it.........
And Remember we r suppose to be gooooood.......If some1 iz doing all that bad stuff with others than its really to be noted.....we shud all b friendly................
and Plusssss the other nations shud also maintain dizzzzz thing.........
Itz gonna be fantastic dan...........

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sania_Hitler

Hmmmmmmmmmm...........Yeh! u r Rite Apurna!
I agree wid ya.........
But Americans and Africans ETC r also not so good wid us............
I hav experienced dizzzzzz thing myself many timess......They really hate Asianssssss.......
So Itssssss a Two way thing........forget abt it.........
And Remember we r suppose to be gooooood.......If some1 iz doing all that bad stuff with others than its really to be noted.....we shud all b friendly................
and Plusssss the other nations shud also maintain dizzzzz thing.........
Itz gonna be fantastic dan...........

Sania you may have faced some racism of your own . Maybe you could share your experience.
My personal experince is that what you said about Americans and African American hating Asians is not at all true. And all i've had is good experience till date. I have seen Americans respecting Asian intelligence .

Yes some African Americans have a grudge due to all the outsourcing thats happening from India . But thats not felt in a day to day interaction with them.

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged
Aparna..you are right. Asians do have some kind of look down attitude towards african americans. It could be uncomfy with african americans knowing them for first time but once we get to know individual I do like them and find them as nice person. However, this first impression is due to many reasons. African Americans in US are generalize that they don't get higher education, they smoke and indulge in crimes and such activities from high school as they don't have secure family relashion. Indians and Pakistani give lot of importance to family values and family bond and spending time with children and they don't want their kids roaming and doing nothing and getting in bad company. Gun, smoking, sneaking out from homes, having step-mom, step sister, step brother etc etc are not seen much in our homes. I know that there are many African Americans who are not like this and have good values, but sadly many of them are like this..depends upon where you live. Where I live we only have 4-5% of non white population including hispanic, asian, african american and I have never faced racism or such attitude here. I work for a 200 more employee company and I am the only who is non-white and I have never ever faced discrimination (touchwood).

I think it is not right for us to generalize them and judge them. like example of your friends who dont want to go to their yard and commenting hope they don't shoot us. Let me tell you this incident. I have never been exposed much to African american pelople 'coz where i live we don't have many AA. So first time when I went to Philadelphia airport i was surrounded by tons of AA. You won't believe I really started freaking out and was almost about to cry. They were very good and didn't even look at me or talked to me but just from what i had heard and stuff i made some midset that all AA are scary and can shoot you. It's not like all caucasian are good... they also have "white tr***" but i have seen some with really good family values. so probably when most of the people in that cast are not good the whole creed is looked down upon and which i think is not fair.

Edited by sowmyaa - 13 January 2006 at 1:02pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top