Debate Mansion

Segregation in classroom-ablity based (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged

Interesting, I have never come across any segregation that the system or the teachers do, they tend to have favorites.

Now when the segregation happened at DPS is this made public that -you are in 8D and not 8C because you are more smart-if that is true then I think that is hurtful thing to do. It's always good to have a mix of students in every section. My school interestingly always mixed the student every year from section to section until they were in highschool. The idea was you know everyone and are friendly with everyone but when you already know who your friends are by high school they let you stay in the same class as them.

But I have noticed how people make friends when they are younger and older too, typically with similar interests and likes. So segregation does happen outside the classroom among children. The cooler ones hang out together and such. Generally, there are exceptions as always. This definitely causes especially teens a lot of heartache at times when they are troubled or harassed for the way they dress or how dumb they are and such.

Edited by Rindam - 12 January 2006 at 2:07pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Segregation in classroom-ablity based (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rindam

Interesting, I have never come across any segregation that the system or the teachers do, they tend to have favorites.

Now when the segregation happened at DPS is this made public that -you are in 8D and not 8C because you are more smart-if that is true then I think that is hurtful thing to do.Yes . The brillant ones are sent into the "ability" section It's always good to have a mix of students in every section. My school interestingly always mixed the student every year from section to section until they were in highschool. The idea was you know everyone and are friendly with everyone but when you already know who your friends are by high school they let you stay in the same class as them.

But I have noticed how people make friends when they are younger and older too, typically with similar interests and likes. So segregation does happen outside the classroom among children. The cooler ones hang out together and such. Yes that does happen all the time amongst children in the playground . But in my opinion the school authority should not justify it by making it inside the classroom too .What happens within school is the schoold responsibility . One can not do that much once they are outside school and form gangs on the basis of being cool or smart !! Generally, there are exceptions as always. This definitely causes especially teens a lot of heartache at times when they are troubled or harassed for the way they dress or how dumb they are and such.

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 3:20pm | IP Logged
Ability section-
That is quite interesting. Do you know of any other schools that do this? I wouldnt vote for it. That is rather silly to imagine a child would be motivated more if he was in such an environment.

anjali.nair

IF-Veteran Member

anjali.nair

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:03pm | IP Logged
good topic aparna!

in my school there were 4 divisions. all the studious ones (above 85% types) were in division A then between 75%-85% in B, 65-75% in C and below 65% in D.

i was in A and most of us looked down the B, C, D students. we always thought we were the best. the competition was real tough in our class. all the parents wanted their kid to be in A. so as soon as someone from other class excels in studies they automatically came to A. some years later this was stopped and B, C and D divisions started getting good students too. still division A was the toughest.

our school argued that they were doing this to give a fair chance to all students. but us students esp. the ones in division A were mighty proud of being the best.

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged
Anju, that is so interesting sections based on percentage. But I dont agree with this concept. I would have had to have a special section at the very bottom for myself, all alone LOL LOL LOL.

That really sucks according to me.

I mean it's a school after all and for kids. Competition is great but should not endorse superiority quotients amongst children.

anjali.nair

IF-Veteran Member

anjali.nair

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 6:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rindam

Anju, that is so interesting sections based on percentage. But I dont agree with this concept. I would have had to have a special section at the very bottom for myself, all alone LOL LOL LOL.

That really sucks according to me.

I mean it's a school after all and for kids. Competition is great but should not endorse superiority quotients amongst children.

exactly rindam! it made us students very proud and we always thought students from other divisions were idiots esp. the ones in division D.

it was stopped and they started assigning good students to other divisions later on.

-SooSweet-

Goldie

-SooSweet-

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 1:53am | IP Logged
This partitioning of students is their in one of our schools.The kids will have their feelings that they are weak.Apart from that they will issue question paper prior to exam to these weak students.There is one good thing here too atleast the kids will be able to pass.Even special coaching will be there for weak students.

Even if u are not partitioned but call for the special coaching classes again they will feel that they are weak.

So the better way is not to discriminate them arrange for special coaching classes and have to encourage them if they pass the next time they need not come for coaching classes...and mostly it is in the parents hand not to put them down at any occasions or in front of other relatives which will make them develop their complexes....

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

IF-Sizzlerz

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

--

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged
yea it is a good idea if it is not made obvious...like if da clases r labeles "advanced" "average" and "remedial" thn it can be hurtful...in elementry school (kindergarden to grade 5 for those who are unaware of our schooling system) i was in an advanced program but i didnt know it LOL every school has different sections and 1 of the sections was for advanced students 1 was for remedial students and the rest for average students. but no1 told us...we thot the distribution of the section was purely random (average clases had randomly assigned sections b/c there was more than 1 average class). this allowed the students who needed more help 2 get the extrea student and it also allowed brighter students to advance higher than they could. there were competitions bu only within the sections not the entire school. the parents knew about it but the teachers and school people told them not to tell their children...i found out a few years ago when my sister was moved from an average class to an advanced class because of her improvement and that was a while after i had already graduated from the school...if it is done tht way it is good bcuz the children dont feel inferior or superior 2 ne1.

however, my high school is just the oposite. its an elite school and it only accepts students with above 90 grades and all our clases are a lot harder than what other people r learning in their schools and colleges recognize us and stuff. When ppl ask me what school i go 2 they automatically go "oh wow u must be smart" and many people in my school think all pther schools r a joke and the students there r all dumb.

segragation based on ability is necessary in schools to allow each student 2 get the most out of school but it should not be labeled or clearly pointed out

Post Reply New Post

Go to top