Should examinations be replaced with othe

mad_cap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
At present many schools, colleges, and universities assess their students by means of end-of-year written examinations. These can be very stressful and many students fare worse in exams than in other forms of assessment. On the other hand, perhaps it is good training for later life when success depends on being able to deal with stress and perform well on big occasions.
I would like all of you out here to post your views in favor or against it?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
😡😊 Edited by Believe - 18 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
"Why Examination" kyum parishaan 😉
kaleidoscope thumbnail
The exam system is good way to check a students capability over a subject. As you already pointed out, You never know what life has there for u. So there is possibilities that in future u may have to work in pressure and too much stress. Exam gives a good practice to that. But ya this examination procedure/the way exams are taken, can be upgraded so that a student can get best preparation one day before exam. Or it may make a student depress only because s/he couldn't get proper revision for exam in lack of time. like is still in many college/ uni, two subject exams are taken in the same day
hazelgirl thumbnail
examination shud b there..in that way one can judge ones own knowledge....without exams how do u know,where do u stand.... 😛
😛
Aparna_BD thumbnail
I think there should be a better way of assesing a student than a mere end of the year exam . Most of kids in India just mug up answers and vomit them out in the paper to forget about them soon after .

The best way is through , throughout the year projects , tests , and asking students to spend more time researching then writing a paper in the end and submiting it . Having many such papers year round .This way a student can truly apply himself/ herself than just mugging and throwing up on the sheet once a year.
Willows thumbnail

Originally posted by: mad_cap

At present many schools, colleges, and universities assess their students by means of end-of-year written examinations. These can be very stressful and many students fare worse in exams than in other forms of assessment. On the other hand, perhaps it is good training for later life when success depends on being able to deal with stress and perform well on big occasions.
I would like all of you out here to post your views in favor or against it?

Well then it becomes difficult to rate a good student, average and not so good student, I believe in the initial years say like till 6th grade the exams can be done away with and subsequently in high school the exams should be held in competitive spirit

I think exams are as necessary in high school as many other things in life infact these exams are learning ground, an experience, which moulds students, but also prepares them to face tough situations in life.

I believe the toughest men/women would always survive be it exams in school or real life situation, as the saying goes, when going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Originally posted by: Willows

Well then it becomes difficult to rate a good student, average and not so good student, I believe in the initial years say like till 6th grade the exams can be done away with and subsequently in high school the exams should be held in competitive spirit

I think exams are as necessary in high school as many other things in life infact these exams are learning ground, an experience, which moulds students, but also prepares them to face tough situations in life.

I believe the toughest men/women would always survive be it exams in school or real life situation, as the saying goes, when going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Woudln't it be fair to judge them year long through projects students are made to do , and essays they are made to write and tests they are made to give year long . Not once a year .....but through out the year . Rather than putting pressure on a student to work before exam and chill through out the year .
samie thumbnail
i h8 examzzzzz jus had 1
ne ways baq 2 the question i think they should reasses them as the time set is always 2 short or 2 long as i found out 2day n also they should make revision books 4 each exam n i agree wid wh@ choco says
Originally posted by: CHOCOLATE

The exam system is good way to check a students capability over a subject. As you already pointed out, You never know what life has there for u. So there is possibilities that in future u may have to work in pressure and too much stress. Exam gives a good practice to that. But ya this examination procedure/the way exams are taken, can be upgraded so that a student can get best preparation one day before exam. Or it may make a student depress only because s/he couldn't get proper revision for exam in lack of time. like is still in many college/ uni, two subject exams are taken in the same day

Willows thumbnail
Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Woudln't it be fair to judge them year long through projects students are made to do , and essays they are made to write and tests they are made to give year long . Not once a year .....but through out the year . Rather than putting pressure on a student to work before exam and chill through out the year .

what i said was make exams optional till 6th grade and hold exams once a year in the high school only, further i said the exams should be more practical oriented, i am aganist any projects for year long,then it would more examination than any actual studies or teaching.