Debate Mansion

Prostitution is LEGAL or ILLEGAL?? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 10

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Legalize prostitution.

I think the ethics and morality of prostitution are another subject. The plain matter of fact is that prostitution is very much a part of society. A part that cannot be ignored. Right now with its illegal status millions of people are at risk.

Legalization of prostitution will put organizational institution in the profession. It will provide adequate health care, education and provision for protection.

In my opinion Amsterdam has done a great job managing its prostitution. It is a regulated legalized business. There is a prostitute information center that educates, informs, counsels both people and prostitutes. There are strict registration procedures to be a prostitute that minimizes child prostitution and illegal human trafficking. There is consistent health care, usage of condoms is enforced. There is also close circuit camera security protection to prevent abuse.

On the other hand look at Eastern Europe, and Thailand. Thousands of people flock there for sex tourism. There is absolutely no regulation. Human trafficking and child prostitution is high. AIDS is spreading like a wildfire. There is no healthcare or protection. And anyone is at risk for being raped, abuse, beaten or even killed.

For the overall safety and regulation, it is best if prostitution be legalized.

Yes, legalize them, have management institutes conduct management courses and... and promote it as a valid profession....and have graduate courses in universities......Masters, bacehlor and certificate courses...whatever that means.... I think if this path is pursued it will leave every other profession behind........way behind...

Edited by qwertyesque - 04 November 2007 at 8:22am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Prostitution is LEGAL or ILLEGAL?? (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Legalize prostitution.

I think the ethics and morality of prostitution are another subject. The plain matter of fact is that prostitution is very much a part of society. A part that cannot be ignored. Right now with its illegal status millions of people are at risk.

Legalization of prostitution will put organizational institution in the profession. It will provide adequate health care, education and provision for protection.

In my opinion Amsterdam has done a great job managing its prostitution. It is a regulated legalized business. There is a prostitute information center that educates, informs, counsels both people and prostitutes. There are strict registration procedures to be a prostitute that minimizes child prostitution and illegal human trafficking. There is consistent health care, usage of condoms is enforced. There is also close circuit camera security protection to prevent abuse.

On the other hand look at Eastern Europe, and Thailand. Thousands of people flock there for sex tourism. There is absolutely no regulation. Human trafficking and child prostitution is high. AIDS is spreading like a wildfire. There is no healthcare or protection. And anyone is at risk for being raped, abuse, beaten or even killed.

Yes, legalize them, have management institutes conduct management courses and... and promote it as a valid profession....and have graduate courses in universities......Masters, bacehlor and certificate courses...whatever that means.... I think if this path is pursued it will leave every other profession behind........way behind...

@ RTH!!!
Nice points....is'nt prostitution a mean thing.....why should govt legalize it? Yes agree that AIDS is increasing because of these improper prostitution...but should govt about the people who are not bothered about other things or bothered about only somethings....
May be I fail to understand the beauty of the services they offer..but GOVT got several other tons of things...should the GOVT bother about the legal process of their process? yes..govt should think..the basic reasons behind those people getting into those mean professions..
@QWERTY !!! Imagine the Professors in the universties and colleges mentioned by youConfusedLOLTongue..hahaha...no one will miss a single classLOL

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nitasuni

If a girl child is below 18 (now it is 16) it is said to be that the person force her to do adultry will be sentenced. Here so many such cases are made public and in the process of  under and after investigations. but in almost all cases the accused walk out freely. In one of the cases it is observed that a girl of 13 from a hillside village has not escaped from the pablic transports while she was forced to travell under custody of the villains.And declared she has done all this  willingly. A lot of NGOs interfered. But the Villains escaped.

Legalized prostitution does not mean supporting forced prostitution and rape. The fact is many young girls are now forced and sold into prostitution. In places where prostitution is regulated and legalized the forced prostitution is reduced. Now unfortunate cases cannot be eliminated, and in place of corruption and indecency, some things will happen.

Also with legalization at least the girls will receive some sort of health care and security benefits. After all the wrongs society commits against them the least we can do is offer them this benefit. Many women in Indian prostitution are uneducated and have no other resource. Once forced in, it is an endless trap. Society looks down upon them and it is almost impossible to reconnect with regular society and the law considers the prostitute equally criminal even if they were forced or born into the profession.

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

@ RTH!!!
Nice points....is'nt prostitution a mean thing.....why should govt legalize it? Yes agree that AIDS is increasing because of these improper prostitution...but should govt about the people who are not bothered about other things or bothered about only somethings....
May be I fail to understand the beauty of the services they offer..but GOVT got several other tons of things...should the GOVT bother about the legal process of their process? yes..govt should think..the basic reasons behind those people getting into those mean professions..

Well it most definitely is a mean thing. As I said the ethics of prostitution will be a different subject. It is not the kind of profession we would want to allow. We would want to eliminate it ideally. Unfortunately, society is evil. For centuries prostitution has been a mainstay. Even if we had society close to utopia, people would be forced into the profession. The only solution being eliminating the dark side of human nature. When prostitution is illegal, there is exploitation and abuse. Legalizing, will not eliminate exploitation. However, it will reduce risks and provide some form of safety.

pinkstarrs_9

IF-Rockerz

pinkstarrs_9

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged
return_to_hades wrote:
Legalize prostitution.

well written Rth like always Smile

i had read few articles on this

although i am not that knowlegable

thanx for givin me info on it

as for my opnion 

its is very true we cannot ignore

prostitution,it is quite a major issue

one of the major cause for increase in aids the deadly disease

people in india still not aware of this disease

n for monetary purpose most of prostitute's

practise such activity.By legalising it

this major issue which main cause of spread

of deadly disease such as aids can come to

limelight n i tottaly agree with return to hades

than people will know more

but in country like India where people

r poor and people who practise prostitution

just to earn money, but by legalising it govt

can help these people openly. 

by punishing them cause they practise

such activity is no help for them cause

most of them who practise cause they

need money.So i feel such people should be

helped as there r cases where educated girls practise

prostitution cause they want earn money

such people cannot be stop cause this

is free world everyone has full right to do

whatever they want .but people who practise

cause of they r poor n they have no other

way out should be helped by legalising it

Morning_Dew

Goldie

Morning_Dew

Deactivated on request

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged
some time back while surfing through channels I watched a brief portion of a program related to cops ... one of the patrol cars was on night patrol hunting prostitutes well, officer who was very effecient in recognizing them described details about their ways of catching customers etc .. they noted one girl who was dealing with a guy in a car and when she open the car door to sit in there they stoped them .. video cameras blured the face of customer but ofcoure provided the full coverage of girl ( to me it was if they made sure whoever didn't know about her .. know it now Confused ) and later they let the guy go and said it was his first time , he was married so they let him go .. Confused
my question is why they try to stop prostitutes? why they hunt them ..exposing them on national television ..why not they hunt customers and expose them or arrest them rather than prostitutes.
concept of regulation in this profession is not a new concept .. but still it is creating a problem so I dont' think making it legalize is going to solve this problem

Edited by Morning_Dew - 04 November 2007 at 3:26pm

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged

Legalized prostitution does not mean supporting forced prostitution and rape. The fact is many young girls are now forced and sold into prostitution. In places where prostitution is regulated and legalized the forced prostitution is reduced. Now unfortunate cases cannot be eliminated, and in place of corruption and indecency, some things will happen.

Also with legalization at least the girls will receive some sort of health care and security benefits. After all the wrongs society commits against them the least we can do is offer them this benefit. Many women in Indian prostitution are uneducated and have no other resource. Once forced in, it is an endless trap. Society looks down upon them and it is almost impossible to reconnect with regular society and the law considers the prostitute equally criminal even if they were forced or born into the profession.

@ RTH!!!
May be I fail to understand the beauty of the services they offer..but GOVT got several other tons of things...should the GOVT bother about the legal process of their professions? yes..govt should think..the basic reasons behind those people getting into those mean professions..

Well it most definitely is a mean thing. As I said the ethics of prostitution will be a different subject. It is not the kind of profession we would want to allow. We would want to eliminate it ideally. Unfortunately, society is evil. For centuries prostitution has been a mainstay. Even if we had society close to utopia, people would be forced into the profession. The only solution being eliminating the dark side of human nature. When prostitution is illegal, there is exploitation and abuse. Legalizing, will not eliminate exploitation. However, it will reduce risks and provide some form of safety.

I think earlier ...earlier in the senseLOL Long Long ago.....in the Kingdoms of Bharat....Prostitutes were given high respect..infact..they used to be known as vesyas.Their caste is also vesya caste.So the families profession is doing prostitution,prostitution was their caste /family profession.So even if the girls in those families like or not they were forced to continue that profession.Its not a big deal then as socially it was acceptable,but when we stop for a second about those ladies..some might have done voluntarily and somany might have been forced.
It took several years for the vesya's to shun their profession and join in the main stream of the ordinary people.Now there is no official castes whose profession is Prostitution.If the GOVT LEGALIZES the PROSTITUTION....history repeats..it does no good to any person.Smile

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 8:21pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Legalize prostitution.

@QWERTY !!! Imagine the Professors in the universties and colleges mentioned by youConfusedLOLTongue..hahaha...no one will miss a single classLOL

Dont know wht kind of assignments and projects would there be..... LOLLOLLOL...

joie de vivre

Goldie

joie de vivre

Posted: 05 November 2007 at 1:17am | IP Logged

Originally posted by nitasuni

If a girl child is below 18 (now it is 16) it is said to be that the person force her to do adultry will be sentenced. Here so many such cases are made public and in the process of  under and after investigations. but in almost all cases the accused walk out freely. In one of the cases it is observed that a girl of 13 from a hillside village has not escaped from the pablic transports while she was forced to travell under custody of the villains.And declared she has done all this  willingly. A lot of NGOs interfered. But the Villains escaped.

@ RTH!!!

I agree with return_to_hades....The oldest profession in the world,it has always existed,and will continue to.....It is important to see the point of health care...In India,most of the sex workers hail from poverty-striken backgrounds(albeit some of high class hookers actually come from good middle class families who seel their souls to the devil for some extra moneyDead or worse, sometimes the parents themselves traffic their daughters for some meagre money),are uneducated and hence ignorant about the occupational hazards of the profession....These girls are underpaid,exploited and deprived of all the fundamental human rights...

The ideal scenario would of course be the complete iradication of prostitution good and proper,which is unfortunately not practical,and we don't want to kid ourselves that it would cease to exist in the near future....It'd do the sex workers a power of good if the profession is legalised with the law protecting their rights.....It'd greatly improve their Stygian living,and their futures look a damn sight more better without their contracting AIDS....I'm most certainly NOT advocating prostitution,I'm just being prudent...There is no good whislting in the dark pretending that prostitution doesn't exist....Being disgustingly prudish and opining that all sex workers are doomed to hell and should lead a miserable life for getting into the profession(by choice or otherwise) is cruel and unreasonable....If legalisation improves their woeful and dolorous existence,why are we against it??....

The views that legalisation would "authorise" prostitution thereby encouraging people to take it up as a profession....Good point,but I reiterate,some take up this profession by choice(The example I previously cited  where girls from decent families get into prostitution for extra money),these people would be in the profession in any event....But the legalisation would mightily benefit those who are coerced into prostitution and child abuse can be prevented ....

As RTH said,the ethics of prostitution is a completely different matter altogether,and the bone of contention in this debate is NOT whether  prostitution is right or wrong...

Post Reply New Post

Go to top