Debate Mansion

Prostitution is LEGAL or ILLEGAL?? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 10

Page 1
Page   of 10
Page 3 Page 10

-SooSweet-

Goldie

-SooSweet-

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:24am | IP Logged
Legal prostitution is always healthy....
Atleast we can reduce the rape rate a little...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Prostitution is LEGAL or ILLEGAL?? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-SooSweet-

Goldie

-SooSweet-

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:26am | IP Logged
Prostitution is legal in India. However, brothel keeping, living off the earning of a prostitute, soliciting or seducing for the purpose of prostitution are all punishable offences under PITA. PITA also contains severe penalties for trafficking of women and child prostitution.

Ref:http://www.womenexcel.com/law/childabuse.htm

Under PITA, prostitution is not an illegal activity, while brothel keeping and soliciting in public places is criminalised. In reality, it makes the practice of prostitution difficult, though not impossible.

Edited by kavith_2305 - 12 January 2006 at 4:38am

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:29am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Vishesh

If Majority of Women , discuss this thing.. and come forward and request to make it Legal, i think then Govt. should think abt it's pros and cons.

But if only Men come forward and say to make it Legal.. then Angry (hey willows this is not for u, i am talking abt society)

and making something 'Legal" is a different thing, it shows that We Accept it.

i don't like this prostitute idea.. , but if it will be made legal, tomorrow my daughter can come to me, and can say that "i am going in this profession, and it is legal, i am not doing anything wrong. and u can't stop me." Ouch

yaar ithnaa math soochoo....its bit over thinking naa..Angry.if anything legalize it not mean that all will follow. Give good direction to ur daughterSmile.no one will become a Prostitute by her own wish,but due to some personal reason they will be pressurized bye the emotions aspects to step in this hellEmbarrassed

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:32am | IP Logged

Originally posted by kavith_2305

Legal prostitution is always healthy....
Atleast we can reduce the rape rate a little...

True mis kavitha.........some point aap acha bolthey hey..Smile.Wink

Willows

Willows

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:36am | IP Logged

But if only Men come forward and say to make it Legal.. then Angry (hey willows this is not for u, i am talking abt society)

Dear Vishesh;

thanks for the clarification, i appreciate, i believe even i owe a clarification, i wrote only the benefit of legalizing the trade, i never said to make it legal, just a clarification.
Best Regards;
Kamlesh.

mad_cap

IF-Rockerz

mad_cap

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:43am | IP Logged

Thanks Mad_cap n Kavitha..
yes that links says so..

still i am confused abt these issues.. in movies i saw that police is raiding on hotels and arresting ppl..

i need to know more abt these issues..
thanks for the info Smile

Vishesh, here is some information that might clear your doubts.
The two principal Indian laws that address trafficking and prostitution in particular are the Suppression of Immoral Traffic in Women and Girls Act of 1956 (SITA) and the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act of 1986 (ITPA), colloquially called PITA, an amendment to SITA. Neither law prohibits prostitution per se, but both forbid commercialized vice and soliciting. Aside from lack of enforcement, SITA is problematic in several ways. One of its chief drawbacks is that the prescribed penalties discriminate on the basis of sex: a prostitute, defined under SITA as always a woman, who is arrested for soliciting under SITA could be imprisoned for up to a year, but a p*** faces only three months.85 SITA allowed prosecution of persons other than the prostitutes only if the persons involved "knowingly" or "willingly" made women engage in prostitution. Accordingly, p***s, brothel owners, madams,and procurers could feign ignorance of prostitution and escape punishment. The client, moreover, was not viewed as an offender and could not be sanctioned under SITA.86 Finally, SITA only addressed street prostitution;
prostitution behind closed doors was left alone, "a loophole that actually promoted the establishment of brothels.

The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act of 1986 (ITPA) amended the 1956 SITA in important ways. However, its basic goals and premises remain much the same as those of SITA. Although prostitution as such is not prohibited under ITPA, this statute contains nine   punishable offenses, including operating a brothel, abetting in brothel keeping, living off brothel earnings, procuring, detaining, activity in vicinity of public places, seducing or soliciting. Ironically, ITPA does not authorize the police actually to close brothels. Unlike SITA, ITPA recognizes that men and children can also be sexually exploited for commercial purposes, and introduces stiff penalties against those who profit from the prostitution of minors and children.

ITPA also expands police power to prevent trafficking, but at the same time attempts to curb the potential abuse of power by the police during raids€"such as verbal, physical and sexual harassment. Whereas SITA empowered a special police officer to conduct a search of any premises without a warrant, ITPA extends these powers to the accompanying trafficking police officers who enter the premises. However, ITPA prohibits male police officers from conducting a search unless accompanied by two female police officers. Interrogation of women and girls also has to be undertaken by female police officers. If this is not possible, the women and girls can be questioned only in the presence of a female member of a recognized welfare organization. Additionally, the act mandates rehabilitation of prostitutes in "protective homes," shelters or reformatories where education and living facilities are to be provided.

Kool Ahmed

IF-Rockerz

Kool Ahmed

-

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 4:48am | IP Logged

Originally posted by mad_cap

Thanks Mad_cap n Kavitha..
yes that links says so..

still i am confused abt these issues.. in movies i saw that police is raiding on hotels and arresting ppl..

i need to know more abt these issues..
thanks for the info Smile

Vishesh, here is some information that might clear your doubts.
The two principal Indian laws that address trafficking and prostitution in particular are the Suppression of Immoral Traffic in Women and Girls Act of 1956 (SITA) and the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act of 1986 (ITPA), colloquially called PITA, an amendment to SITA. Neither law prohibits prostitution per se, but both forbid commercialized vice and soliciting. Aside from lack of enforcement, SITA is problematic in several ways. One of its chief drawbacks is that the prescribed penalties discriminate on the basis of sex: a prostitute, defined under SITA as always a woman, who is arrested for soliciting under SITA could be imprisoned for up to a year, but a p*** faces only three months.85 SITA allowed prosecution of persons other than the prostitutes only if the persons involved "knowingly" or "willingly" made women engage in prostitution. Accordingly, p***s, brothel owners, madams,and procurers could feign ignorance of prostitution and escape punishment. The client, moreover, was not viewed as an offender and could not be sanctioned under SITA.86 Finally, SITA only addressed street prostitution;
prostitution behind closed doors was left alone, a loophole that actually promoted the establishment of brothels.

The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act of 1986 (ITPA) amended the 1956 SITA in important ways. However, its basic goals and premises remain much the same as those of SITA. Although prostitution as such is not prohibited under ITPA, this statute contains nine   punishable offenses, including operating a brothel, abetting in brothel keeping, living off brothel earnings, procuring, detaining, activity in vicinity of public places, seducing or soliciting. Ironically, ITPA does not authorize the police actually to close brothels. Unlike SITA, ITPA recognizes that men and children can also be sexually exploited for commercial purposes, and introduces stiff penalties against those who profit from the prostitution of minors and children.

ITPA also expands police power to prevent trafficking, but at the same time attempts to curb the potential abuse of power by the police during raids—such as verbal, physical and sexual harassment. Whereas SITA empowered a special police officer to conduct a search of any premises without a warrant, ITPA extends these powers to the accompanying trafficking police officers who enter the premises. However, ITPA prohibits male police officers from conducting a search unless accompanied by two female police officers. Interrogation of women and girls also has to be undertaken by female police officers. If this is not possible, the women and girls can be questioned only in the presence of a female member of a recognized welfare organization. Additionally, the act mandates rehabilitation of prostitutes in "protective homes," shelters or reformatories where education and living facilities are to be provided.

thanks for the info.....

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 6:54am | IP Logged

Hey Friends,.

this topic was already discussed previously..

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=116815

Thx Vishesh for pointing it out . But since valuable information has been discussed in this post , we could look at it as Part II if the above post.Tongue

Post Reply New Post

Go to top