India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

''I don't want to die a song machine"Sonu

Ibad Senior Member
Ibad
Ibad

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 2:48pm | IP Logged

SONU NIGAM WANTS TO BE SELECTIVE IN HIS MUSIC AND IN HIS MOVIES, SAYS THE SINGER WHO WAS IN THE CITY FOR A CONCERT

''I don't want to die a song machine"

Pune, February 20: His chocolate boy face framed by his new look hair is beamed into thousands of Indian households through television, his playback singing career has taken off and his shows are running to packed houses. Singer Sonu Nigam can rest a little easy because he says, ''I have learnt to say no.''

AT HIS PACE: ''Earlier I would do inconsequential numbers - songs in all kinds of languages, jingles, anchoring. Six years ago, I even recorded 35 songs in one day! I realised that I was burning out. I didn't want to die a song machine. Today I do one song a day,'' says the prolific singer.

IDOL CHAT: If Sonu NIgam is one of the more polite judges at Sony's Indian Idol singer contest it is because, ''I see myself in these struggling singers. The Indian Idol platform is miraculous because it takes shy singers and makes them instantly famous. I wish I had a platform like this when I came to Mumbai and was begging to do songs.''

JUDGE DREAD?: Why are the judges so rude on Indian Idol? ''In this country, we're used to a lot of fake humility. People say ''Hanji aap achcha gaate ho'' Enough of all that - so we just do some plain speaking on the show. Besides what you get to see on television is the edited version or else you would know how contestants argue back.'' His personal favourite on the show Rahul Vaidya may not have made it, but that, Nigam feels is part of the objectivity on the show.

ON A SONG: Nigam is looking forward to the release of his new album in April this year. ''The songs are romantic because producers feel only such songs will do well,'' says Nigam.

TOUGH ACT: Nigam's acting career hasn't quite taken off because he says, ''The industry is a dicey place. You have to get the package right to be a hit. Flops are not a reflection on your acting ability.'' Nigam has his eyes set on his dream project - ''Director Akashdeep approached me with a musical about a visually impaired man - its an unusual story.''

MANE MATTERS: long hair he says is part of the idea of experimenting with himself. ''I've always kept changing my look - I like working on myself.''

SONU MAGIC
Taking the stage to an absolutely packed house at the BJ Medical College grounds, Sonu Nigam rocked the crowd with a range of hit songs. Starting off with the mellow Suraj hua madham, Sonu then went on to belt the peppy crowd favourite Bijuria, which had even the people perched on the surrounding trees shaking a leg and calling for an encore. Accompanied by a troupe of dancers, the singer then crooned Saathiya, Main hoon na and Kal ho na ho among many other hits, leaving the crowd asking for more.

kripawgr Goldie
kripawgr
kripawgr

Posted: 23 February 2005 at 2:53pm | IP Logged
thanx
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top