Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Mercy Killing-Suicide or Dignifed End!! (Page 2)

ME_T Senior Member
ME_T
ME_T

Posted: 25 February 2005 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
i agree with  u crazyboutpurab. even though i no it's best 4 them i could neva see them go. but u would rather c sum1 u love die peacefully than die a horrible death

samir_soni Goldie
samir_soni
samir_soni

Posted: 25 February 2005 at 11:58pm | IP Logged

I have two different versions.

According to my brain : It's much better than bearing all the pain.

What my heart says : We don't know what's waiting for us after death. It could be worse than life. So, we better wait and hope for the best. Nothing is impossible.

ritu Goldie
ritu
ritu

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 3:08am | IP Logged
I think Mercy killing should be legalised in all the countries of the world.If a person is not able to carry the burden of life i thing he/she should be given legal right to get rid of it.
Jem4Himesh IF-Sizzlerz
Jem4Himesh
Jem4Himesh

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 9:40am | IP Logged

this is the 1st time i have participated in discussion of the week...

I agree with all of you...one shouldn't have to suffer to the extent that it is not worth them being alive anymore.

a topic which is also linked 2 this (i think) is that of euthanasia (this actually happened in the soap Piya ka Ghar where Kaveri's husband Pratik made her kill him coz he could not walk or move anymore due to poison that had been put in his drink, and therefore he did not want 2 suffer for the rest of his life like that.)

Embarrassed

shrutibali IF-Rockerz
shrutibali
shrutibali

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
mercy killing is beneficial and not to mention a question of choice. if a person doesnt want to live a life full of pain and grief, i think we must support him/her
Minnie IF-Rockerz
Minnie
Minnie

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged

Yes,I agree with u all..........if there is no hope of recovery,then it's better to let go than live on like a vegatable for the rest of your life.........

Though I have no idea if I too would have the guts to do it if it was someone I couldn't even bear to live without......

fish Groupbie
fish
fish

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 4:33pm | IP Logged

Mercy killing is euthanasia. I believe that life is a precious gift, but we also have choice. Choosing to live, struggling with the pain or the right to die with dignity.

Euthanasia is a possible choice for those terminally ill and the negative argument is usually on the idea of "playing God" and destroying God's gift, equally the pro argument would be: would God punish you like this? Make you suffer? But what about karma? Is illness, disability bad karma from this life or a previous life? [These are not my views, but a point in the argument.]

We have tough rules on suicide and murder (in most countries). And euthanasia is no different - it is voluntary suicide, when the person is too ill to administer their own death and someone assists. Example, people suffereing from motor nuerone disease, where patients do not have full bodily control. For these people, to consent to euthanasia is problematic, since their loved one or doctor (who wil perform the act) will invariably be held responsible and punished for their manslaughter, or perhaps even murder. Even though the patient asked for it.  

Another thing is that an ill patient, who though in pain and unable to care for themselves, wants to continue living out the remainder of their life and die a natural death. Though is unable to speak and therefore give consent to or against euthanasia, maybe made by their loved one and sole carer (who is perhaps frustrated in their role - even though they love the ill patient) to euthanasia. Wouldn't this qualify as downright murder? Where a tired relative made a choice for an ill family member who had the will to live but was unable to announce it?

Similarily if there is an ill patient, unable to speak but wants euthanasia but is unable to say it, may continue their suffering.

Many cases of where mercy killings are the main topic, are so because either the person is unable to commit suicide and needs helps, an action which the State cannot accept, or where someone makes a choice that may or may not be in the best interests or wishes of the patient.

So the debate is so important and massive becuase if you give way to one situation, then invariably by default you must give all other situations the go ahead.    

Personally I believe in choice. And if it would ever come to it, I would write it in my will, as to how I should be treated. But I'm very much pro-life. Even if I had to endure suffering.

There are many hospices, where terminally ill patients go. They can be cared for there and medical staff can try to dilute their pain. Hospices also offer mental support for the patient and their families, who seeing their loved ones ill and in pain feel helpless and therefore traumatised. They help all and though they die a painful death, they can die naturally with thier dignity. Without the consequences of family being taken to court, etc. and also the family over time can understand death and be supported in their grief.

I speak from the heart, because I know so. My beloved aunt died of breast cancer a few years ago. Though it broke my heart I came to understand life, and death. She was in pain, yet she went on.    

ON A SAD NOT: There are a few hospices that are specially there to care for ill children. These brave little folk are resigned to their fate and yet so happily take it; these who have barely begun to live out their lives...

lilly Senior Member
lilly
lilly

Posted: 27 February 2005 at 4:13pm | IP Logged

Who decides when enough of suffering and it's time to put this pain and suffering to an end. In  US euthanasia is  not an option, there are certain options for the patient which is addressed as code status. Certainly comfort care is one of them  which is in a way similar to the term mercy killing where all care is withdrawn and patient is given narcotics  for comfort care, and certain other options including are hospice care for terminally ill patient which are very supportive programme.

The biggest dilemma is when we have no advance directive in a terminally ill patient who is unable to make his own decision and it is left to the family which at times may have very unrealistic hope, in which the medical care may  becomes futile. However the other flip side of this is that a relative may push towards withdrawing all  life support when the illness may be  totally reversible for there own selfish gains.

The best legacy we can do for ourself and our loved one is to have a advance directive in terms of clear instruction on how to proceed when time comes to make this tough decision, so that it's not left to our loved once to make decision because for a loved one to decide  becomes a difficult choice ( filled with guilt).

My brother-in law had colon cancer which was resectable, he underwent  chemotherapy and surgery, however few years later he developed metastatic disease and in spite of chemotherapy there was no hope, he had very clear advance directive , he was very hopefull for a cure and loved life to the fullest, was working full time till 2 weeks back , but at the end he wanted to pass away peacefully

The gift of live is the most precious gift in this world, however every human has the right to live and die in a dignified manner ( the definition of which may vary with everyone), and again the best legacy  we can give to our loved one is to have an advance directive.

Go to top