Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

TintinleMechant

IF-Dazzler

TintinleMechant

Posted: 28 July 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged
I was reading the"Open Magazine" website and saw this in their confessions corner. I think it gives a pretty good image of what celebrity PR's and movie marketing is all about is Bollywood and thought i'd post it here.

Confessions of a Movie Marketer

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/confessions/confessions-of-a-movie-marketer

"If he is a good actor, but his movies did not do well, we think twice before taking him on. For us, acting talent is not a criterion"

There are no ethics in movie marketing. We make a list of stories that have to be floated before the movie releases. Of the stories you read of actors falling sick or having accidents, some may be true but a lot of them are part of the big plan. The media is fed on these stories throughout the time the movie is being made. This is done to make sure that the movie does not go into oblivion and to raise audience anticipation. Sometimes, it's easier if we have friends in the media.

While selecting actors, we check their past records, specifically how much money the actor's movies made. If he is a good actor, but his movies did not do well, we think twice before taking him on. For us, acting talent is not a criterion, we think about the money. There is always an argument of creativity versus saleability. People may say good things about a movie, but that does not always translate into numbers. That is why we prefer not to clash movie releases. If there are no movies releasing with ours, then even a bad one sells.

Production houses can go to any length to get publicity for their movies. Take, for instance, the sudden footage leak phenomenon. All the movies that have released recently have had leaks either on the internet or television. In reality, we ourselves leak film clips to create hype around the movie. We then cry foul to get media attention.

Dealing with actors, especially smaller ones, is a big task. Neither are they in the big league nor are they common people. Thus, they are insecure. In such a case, a marketer, to get his way, sometimes has to reaffirm the false notions of stardom the person has.

Most newcomers are ethical and want to sell the movie on merit. But that's not how it works today.

+++

(This person has been a marketing professional with a production house for a year)

+++

As told to Jahnavi Sanghvi

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

AppleBlossoma little faithkoolchickyou2bamboocopterfriends_rockfire_gunmysticgoryfilmsRockChicGirl

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Confessions of a Movie Marketer" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

koolchick

IF-Rockerz

Requested Self ban

Posted: 28 July 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

preity*zinta

TintinleMechant

IF-Dazzler

TintinleMechant

Posted: 28 July 2011 at 10:58am | IP Logged
Yeah lol, some of their 'examples' are awfully familiar. hehe

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

koolchickbamboocopter

friends_rock

IF-Sizzlerz

friends_rock

Posted: 28 July 2011 at 11:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by masakaliii

I was reading the"Open Magazine" website and saw this in their confessions corner. I think it gives a pretty good image of what celebrity PR's and movie marketing is all about is Bollywood and thought i'd post it here.

Confessions of a Movie Marketer

Production houses can go to any length to get publicity for their movies. Take, for instance, the sudden footage leak phenomenon. All the movies that have released recently have had leaks either on the internet or television. In reality, we ourselves leak film clips to create hype around the movie. We then cry foul to get media attention.

Knew it long time back! 

thanks for sharing!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LifeOLiciousfire_gun

fly2me

IF-Sizzlerz

fly2me

Posted: 28 July 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged
We make a list of stories that have to be floated before the movie releases. Of the stories you read of actors falling sick or having accidents, some may be true but a lot of them are part of the big plan.

Production houses can go to any length to get publicity for their movies. Take, for instance, the sudden footage leak phenomenon.

These have been done before for sureee. After all, its all business.

Interesting article.

you2

IF-Rockerz

you2

Posted: 28 July 2011 at 11:14am | IP Logged
Like I wrote else where..Amir khan looking for an item girl for Delhi Belly was outright lying..Imran too joined in..much worse than the dog episode.. nasty cracks against rivals or pretend to be in  a relationship  has been happening for a long time..but this was insane..

I think What Salman & SRK are doing is also unethical..getting rival heroines to do hit item numbers in the last minute..Actors fight over screen presence,number of of songs, even the position in credit titles..This is humiliating.

Every heroine from now will sign a claus now that no addtional item numbers will be added once the script is ready.

Edited by you2 - 28 July 2011 at 11:15am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

.Alluring..khoobsurat.bamboocopter

mysticgoryfilms

IF-Sizzlerz

mysticgoryfilms

Posted: 28 July 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by you2

Like I wrote else where..Amir khan looking for an item girl for Delhi Belly was outright lying..Imran too joined in..much worse than the dog episode.. nasty cracks against rivals or pretend to be in  a relationship  has been happening for a long time..but this was insane..

I think What Salman & SRK are doing is also unethical..getting rival heroines to do hit item numbers in the last minute..Actors fight over screen presence,number of of songs, even the position in credit titles..This is humiliating.

Every heroine from now will sign a claus now that no addtional item numbers will be added once the script is ready.

I don't think it was worse than the dog episode. The dog comment was in low taste, hmmm, it can't beat that. But the Delhi Belly item girl hunt - well the media was responsible actually. They were the ones who started to make assumptions of an item girl in DB and then Aamir joined in. I actually think its smart. Even after the item song was released, the media thought he shot it recently and Aamir joined in that too (but he did clarify in some interviews that he shot it two years back).

This article made me wonder about the Chammak Challo song being leaked. Many thought it was leaked intentionally while others thought it was a genuine leak. Right after the leak, SRK or someone else from the team said that they are upset about the leak but are happy that people liked the song. It did seem intentional to me.  

As long as anyone doesn't stoop so low to promote a movie or take a dig at others *cough*Deepika*cough* I don't mind.

.khoobsurat.

you2

IF-Rockerz

you2

Posted: 28 July 2011 at 11:33am | IP Logged
^^Amir asked on facebook who should take as item girl..I too foolishly put in my request..

Is Deepika the first actress doing what the Khans have been doing for some time..maybe

Edited by you2 - 28 July 2011 at 11:35am

bamboocopter

Post Reply New Post

Go to top