•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago
naEdited by -Wish- - 12 years ago
when you threaten to starve yourselves to death, it's a method of shocking people and opening their eyes to the problem that you wish to protest against. It invigorates the society and makes them protest against it as well. The death element in fasting is the clincher.
Fasting gets the media attention whether voluntary or due to economic conditions, like in Somalia where many are without food and dying. But most people ignore it and expect the UN or USA to handle it.
Making a point by fasting should not be done by all and one day laws may be introduced to charge one for trying to commit suicide if the fasting is for a prolonged period.

Fasting is a kind of emotional blackmail that has been there from time immorial😆...I have used it several times against my parents if I did not get my way...it worked most of the times...depends how much the other party is concerned about u starving to death...in politics not a good idea...in families it works😆

Yep initially a child learns that if she cries she gets what she wants. Later it gets worse unless it is stopped.

Interesting news. Corruption

1 August 2011 Last updated at 04:40 GMT

Karnataka 'mining scam' leader Yeddyurappa quits

Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa Mr Yeddyurappa says he has been accused unfairly

The chief minister of the southern Indian state of Karnataka has resigned days after an anti-graft panel indicted him in an illegal mining scandal.

BS Yeddyurappa quit on Sunday following a decision by the leaders of his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

The anti-corruption report alleges the scam cost the exchequer more than $3bn (1.8bn) from 2006-2010. Mr Yeddyurappa denies any wrongdoing.

Correspondents say illegal mining has been rife for years in Karnataka.

The state produces about 45 million tonnes of iron ore a year and exports more than half of it to China.

'Unfair'

"I have resigned from the chief minister's post as directed by the party's high command [central leadership] after serving the state for over 38 months to the best of my ability," news agency AFP quoted Mr Yeddyurappa as saying.

He said he had been accused "unfairly".

For days, Mr Yeddyurappa resisted attempts to dislodge him from the chief minister's post. Reports say he is still negotiating for a role in the party.

Mr Yeddyurappa belongs to the influential Lingayat community and correspondents say his departure could threaten the survival of the BJP's only government in southern India.

The corruption panel report - officially submitted last Wednesday but widely leaked before that - names several other members of the BJP government, as well as Congress and Janata Dal (Secular) politicians in connection with the alleged scam.

The report details what it says is the illegal transport and export of iron ore from the state.

The embattled chief minister is also facing charges of corruption and nepotism in land deals and is being investigated separately by the courts.

The affair is highly embarrassing for the party after months on the offensive against India's governing Congress party, which itself is embroiled in a series of damaging corruption scandals