Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

But what was the point of Krishna giving him that, when on day 18, when the the last of the Kaurava warriors - Sudarshan, Shakuni, Ulooka were getting killed, Sanjaya went there to join the battle, but was quickly defeated & captured by Satyaki, and released only due to the intervention of Vyasa?  Krishna himself said that only a few are allowed that privilege, and I don't see how Sanjaya deserved it above anyone else.

I am not sure if we can discuss whether or not Sanjaya deserved the Vishwaroop darshan, but the fact it he got it. Maybe he just was at the right place at the right time. If Dritarashtra had chosen to accept Vyasa's offer of divine sight, he would have been the one to see the Vishwaroop and who could be less deserving than Dritarashtra? As Sanjaya himself ackowledges, it was Vyasa's grace that he got  to see the Divine form of Krishna.

BTW< i didn't know Sanjaya also took part in the battle. Who was commentating to Dritarashtra in his absence? 
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
The source that has Akrura getting divine revelation before Kans Vadh does not have Akrura conspiring against Satrajit. Both these stories are from two different sources, and that makes sense too because the divine revelation Akrur dedicated his entire life to Krishna and did not participate in many of the political intrigues later on, whereas the source that has Akrur doing evil things does not have him achieving divine revelation before Kans Vadh.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

CGM is currently a totally fictional show, so I wouldn't count it as a feather in their cap.  And VS - it's true that after the death of Shambhuji, there was a civil war among the Marathas due to Tarabai, the DIL of Shivaji's 2nd wife (and of course Shivaji himself).  But his own early days being transformed into a saas-bahu-2nd bahu triangle is just too much to digest.  The other fear I have about such historical shows is the tendency to whitewash the villains due to political correctness, which is why I avoid such shows like the plague.  Am not watching the Shobha Somnath ki for that reason too.

MDSK is good, but it's like the Panchatantra - pure fiction.  Like for instance, the artificial insertion of Shani Dev into stories where he wasn't present.  Plus the last few episodes have been disappointing.

Incidentally, how accurate is it to call it post RS, when RS appeared in the final episode w/ his bhashan and delivered it?  I don't really believe that he disapproved of any of the things that were shown.

In general I prefer mythological shows over historical shows, so I don't watch the latter too much, but all I was talking about was TRPs. I actually don't know whether they're showing right stuff or not.

I think RS may have had a role in some of the dialogue writing of the latter SK, and his lectures may have been an attempt to bring the story together and explain some parts which viewers did not know, but if it was true that he was down with TB when the show was being taken, there'd have been no way he could have taken a part in the research and directing with everyone else. You can see a clear difference between the latter part of SK and the beginning...they look like they were directed by two different people. I think the latter part was taken over mainly by Moti and Prem Sagar, maybe Anand sagar too, I'm not sure.
varaali thumbnail
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

The source that has Akrura getting divine revelation before Kans Vadh does not have Akrura conspiring against Satrajit. Both these stories are from two different sources, and that makes sense too because the divine revelation Akrur dedicated his entire life to Krishna and did not participate in many of the political intrigues later on, whereas the source that has Akrur doing evil things does not have him achieving divine revelation before Kans Vadh.

The source for both is Srimad Bhagavatham. Akrura seeing the divine form of Krishna and Balarama is described in Chapter 39 of the 10 Skanda. His prayer is narrated in the 40 chapter.

Akrura's role in the Syamantaka Gem episode is described in the 59 chapter of the same skanda
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: varaali

I am not sure if we can discuss whether or not Sanjaya deserved the Vishwaroop darshan, but the fact it he got it. Maybe he just was at the right place at the right time. If Dritarashtra had chosen to accept Vyasa's offer of divine sight, he would have been the one to see the Vishwaroop and who could be less deserving than Dritarashtra? As Sanjaya himself ackowledges, it was Vyasa's grace that he got  to see the Divine form of Krishna.

BTW< i didn't know Sanjaya also took part in the battle. Who was commentating to Dritarashtra in his absence? 

I think it's an open question as to whether Krishna would have shown everything to Dhritarashtra had the latter chosen the vision for himself, as opposed to Sanjaya.  

Sanjaya's role in the battle - his being captured and released - is described here  It all followed the deaths of Susharma, Sudarshan, Ulooka & Shakuni, as well as the defeat of Duryodhan by Dhrishtadyumna.
rega24 thumbnail
Vishal is quite cutee in roll of krishanji.The way he used to talk, he is a reallly good actor⭐️
varaali thumbnail
ODE TO THE SAGARS...

Jai ho Sagar Pictures, Jai ho aapki,
What a serial this is turning out to be...

Sudama Sudama Sudama everywhere,
Has Rukmini vanished into thin air?
Only Jambvanti remains, serene and calm,
Has Krishna also become ek patni vrat Ram?

You constantly get your facts wrong,
And stretch each story way too long,
Paundtrak's saga- Oh how you twisted it,
And got us into a laughing fit

We are eagerly waiting for the Gitopadesh,
But you seem to show no haste...
Please quickly  find your Draupadi
Or relieve us of this misery...

We wanted to see Krishna's life and ways,
But you made us switch over to Mahadev
Is it too much to expect,
A story, honest and circumspect?

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Fantastic ode, Varaali!

Not to spoil the update, but seeing today's episode where Narada next attempts to lure Sudama back to Krishna, here is an idea!  How about having everybody who was friendly to Krishna take on the task of trying to get Sudama back?  Maybe bring back Shanu and have her persuade Susheela, while Kunal tries to persuade Sudama.  Have them @ it for a couple of episodes, then bring back the Pandavas and have Yudhisthir try and reason w/ Sudama, letting them bombard each other w/ deadly bhashans, while Arjun takes over the job of comforting Krishna from Udhav.  Maybe send Udhav back to the Gopis to get their help in bringing Sudama back, in exchange for a promise to settle them all in Dwarka.  Get them all together, and hopefully, by then, let's say Draupadi is found, and so Krishna gets the Pandavas to disguise as Brahmins and go to her swayamvara w/ him.

Yeah, it's fictitious, but would it be any worse than what we've been seeing?
Vr15h thumbnail
In today's episode, there were several things unique to SP that were brought out here:
  • Rukmini's return - given her long unexplained absence from Dwarka, her return was clearly for the Pradhyumna track, but what would be surprising is that if she's been away from her husband this long, how does she suddenly come back pregnant?  Ideally, this track should have been shown much earlier, during the Syamantaka gem track.
  • The naming of the child was not up to the parents in those times: there'd be a namkaran sanskar, in which the kulguru would suggest an appropriate name for the child, based on various symbology, which would be binding on the parents.  In other words, only the kulguru really got to name the children, it wouldn't have been up to Satyabhama.  Somewhat less fanciful was Jambavati's wish to be the first to hold the baby, given that typically, it'd be the birth mother (although they were a different yuga, I doubt that Kaikeyi got to hold Rama b4 Kaushalya).
  • Where did Rukmini get a dahima from?  Somehow, the Manthara-like dahima's presence made Rukmini look like some sort of a Kaikeyi, while Satyabhama & Jambavati were left looking like a Kaushalya & Sumitra.  (As I noted in the Rukmini BACK thread, I won't comment on her looks any more - happy that she's back)
  • As usual, such a major event for Dwarka, and no Balarama or Revathy?  I know I shouldn't expect any better, but their absence continues to annoy
  • The dahima singularly seemed to lack in royal etiquette.  Similarly, the tantrik who forced himself in was totally devoid of manners.
  • As I asked in the thread about Krishna's clan, did Rukmini or anyone get any premonition that Pradhyumna would be kidnapped?
I liked the start of a new track and something other than Sudama, but while the dramatization of Rukmini's return is understandable, what isn't acceptable is them putting modern practices, like taking some eyeliner and putting it on one's head - did such a practice even date back to those times?
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail

In today's episode, there were several things unique to SP that were brought out here:

Rukmini's return -but what would be surprising is that if she's been away from her husband this long, how does she suddenly come back pregnant? 

If Krishna himself is not concerned , it should be none of your business too, Vrish😉 😆

Where did Rukmini get a dahima from?  Somehow, the Manthara-like dahima's presence made Rukmini look like some sort of a Kaikeyi, while Satyabhama & Jambavati were left looking like a Kaushalya & Sumitra.  (As I noted in the Rukmini BACK thread, I won't comment on her looks any more - happy that she's back)

Actually who is a Dahi- Ma? Curd Mother? 

I liked the start of a new track and something other than Sudama, 

Oh Yes, I too am glad to see the back of Sudama. i do hope that eventually Mohan grows up to be a Master Chef in Aniruddha;s household, dishing out rabris and jalebis but for the time being- Bye Bye Sudama &family

but while the dramatization of Rukmini's return is understandable, what isn't acceptable is them putting modern practices, like taking some eyeliner and putting it on one's head - did such a practice even date back to those times?

Actually shouldn't it be Revathi Or Devaki (someone elder) doing these ceremonies?

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago