Dwarkadheesh - Bhagwaan Shree Krishna

DBSK depictions & presentations

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Dwarkadhish Bhagwan Shri Krishna

A good lesson in mythology

Monday to Thursday 8.00 pm, Imagine TV

Nitish Bhardwaj played Krishna so beautifully in BR Chopra's Mahabharat that it's unimaginable to see any other actor in that 'immortal' role. But Vishal Karwal, Imagine's new Dwarkadhish, just about manages to fit into the part. With a cheeky, naughty smile and dimples to boot, Vishal does remind you of Bhardwaj and captures the naughty spirit of the Lord but sadly enough, he doesn't get the 'emotional' sur right. Maybe it's early days yet, maybe those royal mojris are mighty to fill in, maybe it's too big a role to do justice to but something is amiss for sure. More about that later!

Dwarkadhish Bhagwan Shri Krishna, as the title suggests, is about Krishna, who lives inDwarka, his exploits on the battlefield, his calculative bent of mind, his victory over his enemies (from Kans to Kalyavan, Shishupal, Jarasandh and Rukmi, to name a few) through sheer ingenuity, his bond with Balaram and his warm relationship with the people of his kingdom. Fortunately, there are no cute tales about his makhanchori and his flirting withRadha and the gopiyan, something we have seen ad nauseam in other shows on the Lord.

Now for what works and what doesn't for the show. Dwarkadhish is lavishly mounted, you have actors in elaborate costumes and palaces done up ostentatiously, perfect and picturesque but most of it seems to be computer generated, and sticks out like a sore thumb, taking away the soul from the proceedings. For instance, there was a battle sequence between the mighty Jarasandh and Krishna and Balarama, which had the two brothers climbing a mountain while Jarasandh's soldiers set it on fire in a bid to kill them…what could have been exciting to watch was let down by some tacky computer graphics. The images looked disjointed and the action seemed to be happening at one place while the protagonists were in another, it didn't look like a whole and that took the joy away completely from the scene.

Also, the actors cast in key roles is another sore point. Except for Puneet Issar as Jarasandh (Issar's broad frame takes away 95 per cent of my TV screen), other actors like the podgy, expressionless Balaram and the mouse-like Rukmini or the apology of an actor cast as the warrior Shishupal have neither the personality nor the magnetism to pull off those big roles.

Last but not the least, Vishal as Dwarkadhish, is extremely easy on the eye, but he needs to get his dialogue-delivery right, and modulate his voice instead of just parroting the lines. However, Dwarkadhish is still a notch above the tame fare that passes of as primetime entertainment. It's a good lesson in mythology for children. At least, my son thinks so.

Verdict:

Watch it, nothing to lose.

@screenindia.com

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chemestry thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
is this article or ur words ?
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

Thanks for sharing, the actors playing some of the imp. roles, fails to get attention, they should improve their casting. In BG score, too singers with melodious voice should be chosen. Most of the time while watching the show, I feel it can be still better.😊
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I think the casting in Dwaraka is more or less fine.  On Jarasandha's side, they could have selected better villain playing roles for Sishupala, Shalva and Dantavatra.  Particularly given that Krishna's individual battles w/ each of them would deserve to be shown.  While they could have selected someone better for Rukmini, describing Priya as mouse like or Balaram expressionless is quite off the mark.

The real problem is the costumes, which have been authentic only for Krishna so far (I need to re-watch Vasudev to see if they got him right).  Otherwise, on Jarasandha's end, it looks like a Trojan army, and what Rukmi wears is totally anachronistic.  And lose those turbans, and get the crowns: Krishna's was the only one w/ peacock feathers, but everyone else wore crowns.  But I'm glad that none of them except Vasudev has been shown bearded - that seems true to script.

Oh, and the philosophy - particularly of Krishna - for heavens' sake, get it right: it's about time.  Krishna didn't do things for the same reason soap actors and actresses do: he did them for a combination of political, philosophical and other reasons.  He did not always make it a point to irritate his Dau.  Wonder if they'll make Rukmini make Krishna respect Balaram more.
rainurubal thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
don't know what to say,,but atleast  i think i m satisfied with the show,,,,,mujhe toh pehel yeh bhi nahi pata ke krishan ki wife Rukmini thi ,,i always thought radha was his wife
sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
i am terribely misisng the soul of the show
the soul which was there in JAI SHRI KRISHNA on COLORS ...
I am only impressed by VISHAL as KRISHNA
rest of the star cast has not impressed me
esp RUKMINI ...
Edited by sita11 - 12 years ago
chemestry thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
this is my only opinious not to against anyone

i think that JSK on colours was looking too faked.
first they made a mistake by making girl as small krishna, as she is girls from any angle she was giving the feeling of cute kanha as baby

and most of the jwellery and their makeup too looked like daily soap.
and again teenage krishna they had not work on his hair so it was looking more like play where people play role in skit

i have not much seen that show but saw some glimps of that.

DBSK looked too mature show n with royal palace of dwarka.
and specially shree krishna look too good with it mature and cute behaviour only he had to work out on his dialogue delivey

i think vishal's voice is not mytho material like svardhan in shree krishna used to talk smoothly and easily .

Roark thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I kinda of agree with the article. I have not seen any other serial on krishna other than the mahabharatha of BR Chopra as I could not imagine anyone else other than Nitish Bharadwaj. Its a herculean task to follow.

Vishal is fine but all that I have seen him doing is grin and display his dimnples more prominently.

Ba;larama the guy looks okay but his role is not well etched. Jarasandha is fine but the rest of team members are a joke.

Too much of computer graphics is actually spoiling the whole scene.

But in all fairness I think the show has just started and we definitely need to give some more time for the steam to gather.
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I think I agree w/ Chemestry.  I can fully understand all the fans who loved Dhriti Bhatia, and indeed, who isn't happy @ her success or wishes her well?  But personally, I'm not a fan of actors playing cross-gender roles, so I'd have preferred a guy to have played that role - nothing otherwise against Dhriti.

JSK also made up some really unbelievable tracks, like sending Vasudev out to wrestle someone.  AFAIK, Vasudev was never a warrior, despite being a kshatriya.  Totally different from Balaram, Krishna, Pradhyumna, et al.

When Vishal plays Vishnu, I'm glad that they don't modulate his voice the way they did for Gurmeet in the Ramayan when he played his Narayan roles.

Like I noted earlier, except for Krishna, they have everybody's attire wrong.  C'mon guys, if Krishna wore an ancient vastra and dhoti, is it likely that everyone else around him would be wearing 16th century clothes & turbans?  They get some of the clothing of the common people right, but the attire of all the royalty are royally screwed.

Unlike fictional serials, I don't think the team needs time to get it right, when the original scripts are ready - it's straight from the scriptures, not something Ekta makes up.  Yeah, I agree that maybe the actors need time to get their acts right, but the costumes that were used then are well known, and if they can get it right for Krishna, why not the others?  Similarly, the mischaracterization of Krishna is something that shouldn't be happening @ all - I don't see how that can be fixed.  I do hope that they don't foul up the elopement of Rukmini, but show the battles properly as they happened.

Yeah, granted, Shri Krishna is best known for his non-fighting roles, be it eating butter, seranading Radha or imparting his wisdom to Arjun.  But he was an unmatched warrior as well who didn't hesitate to fight and kill even his relatives if they were evil - like Kamsa, Sishupala, Dantavatra, etc.  And he wasn't a one-dimensional warrior either - he was a better archer than Arjun, and as good a fighter as Balaram.  If the scriptwriters of Sagar Pictures can't digest that fact, they need to make way for those who can!
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
^^ The problem with how they wrote Vasudev wasn't just that he was made to wrestle (though he wasn't famous for them, he did have and use combat skills), it was that they made him mentally unstable. One day wrestling, one day bawling, one day laughing in Kans's face and telling him he could do nothing to harm Krishna and one day panicking enough about his safety to run away from prison (!!!) to protect him from a made-up demon. Hence I'm a bit wary of these writers' characterization skills. But anyways, sorry if that bothered anyone, I shouldn't have discussed a different show to such an extent here and won't do it any further.

I think that the show's biggest strength is the casting. I really like their choices for both Krishna and Balram. I wouldn't say Vishal's better or worse than any other actor who's taken on the role of Krishna, since I try to avoid comparisons and appreciate each one for their own efforts. Vishal
has great comic timing, and his ability to pull of a serious and compassionate moment is just as keen. He is clearly working hard and ensuring that his character is different in voice inflections, expressions, and movements than your average male lead in a daily soap...

If only the writers were making the same attempt 🤔 I got a good laugh out of the digs at daau at first, only because Vishal delivered them so smoothly and Hemant's reaction was so well-timed - but then, on second thought, their interaction isn't supposed to remind me of Everybody Loves Raymond. This is a mytho, not a sitcom and not a Yash Chopra romance where leaves are blown and what not 😆 A comic scene here and a romantic moment there are fine once in a while, but you can't have enough of them in two short weeks to constitute an episode of their own.

Diction, as Puneet Issar pointed out, is another weakness. I think Vishal's is just fine, but Priya's needs plenty of work. Her expressions are natural, and contrary to the Screenindia critic, I think she's quite pretty. But... she often condenses 4-5 syllables into 2 or 3. For example, it's "sa-ha-ya-ta", not "saay-ta". That needs work because we'll be hearing a lot of her. And as I pointed our w.r.t. some individual episode updates, her character is being written kind of thoughtlessly. She's not made to show any regard for other people she shares a scene with, quietly allowing her bro (who has unnecessarily been vilified, and should in fact switch roles with the guy playing Shishupal) to hit her dad one time and happily letting a sage worship her (without having implied that she's aware of her divinity) another.

I also second the concerns about costumes. Vrish got the men in their headbands and turbans and kurtas covered (Vasudev was wearing a chiffon one just like he did in JSK), and I just wanna mention that the majority of the women's attire is only slightly better. I can't ask that they wear what they actually wore back in the day, because we don't know exactly and from what we do know, it was too little to show on telly 😳 But that doesn't mean they should dress them in the exact same styles I can find in stores today. Rukmini's wedding lehenga - my cuz wore it (and put the dupatta the same way) in '07! New mythos have almost all ditched sarees in favor of lehengas, probably for comfort reasons which I can understand (but then, that's why I don't get paid to act in a historicals or mythos). But they're definitely spending money on those costumes, so how about a lehenga that looks like a saree (pleats, fans, etc.)? Or... anything at all, except these fish-cut pieces with no antiquity about them whatsoever?

And then there's the pace. We got all the Jarasandh battles, Kalyavan's history, and his death in a single episode, but from the time that Rukmini wrote her letter to the time it was received they wasted over a week. Hmmm.

So... that's all for my review. I hope they give their mostly well-selected and probably hardworking cast the kind of show they deserve by rectifying all these issues in a timely manner, as in while I'm still interested in watching.