Book Talk

   

A book that gave you a permanant brain damage. :P (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 21

anne_shirley

Senior Member

anne_shirley

Joined: 30 September 2011

Posts: 256

Posted: 15 November 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SmokingDreams

Anything to do with vampires makes me puke..Except Twilight..Love it..But its mostly because of the movies..the books were for understanding the movie better..I would prefer watching the movies over and over than reading it..But then its a love story, although too flawless, and i might read sometime far away when i might need to refreshen my memory..But this is my opinion..Twilight has got equal support as equal hatred..So let be it..
Then there is this book 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova..Good Lord..I dragged myself to read the 5th chapter just so my insides wont ask me 'what if the story's main began after that'??..But i couldnt take it anymore..and left it..Its elongated description of every damn thing..Its usually description neatly done that attracts me..But this, never..
Not a fan of Paul Coelho either..I think ideas like his will be more useful in spiritual and personality development books than making them novels..



I had such high expectations from 'The Historian',but was hugely disappointed...Kostova just rambles on and on without reaching the main point of the story...and when the antagonist finally makes an appearance at the fag end of the book, it is almost an anti climax when we learn his dearest ambition...

Another book is the "Immortals of Meluha "by Amish...I picked it up because of all the hype surrounding it...and sadly that's what it turned out to be, all hype...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A book that gave you a permanant brain damage. :P (Page 8)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Joined: 26 June 2010

Posts: 2591

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 6:29am | IP Logged
In the books I have read, the one that definitely stands out is the Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.. 

I know there exists a huge fan base for her ideologies but somehow I just couldn't connect with the book. It didn't hold my interest enough for me to finish it and I fell asleep more often than not (not a good sign) and when I took a break came back to the book thinking I wasn't in the right frame of mind.. i did it again and again and again..  I dunno how I managed to finish the book or did I ?? >sigh<

I prefer her book The Fountainhead to Atlas Shrugged...

I have to admit like many here I don't think I have understood Coelho either and same goes with the Stephenie Meyers... 

Coelho,for me, in a effort to transcend all boundaries of being philosophical, makes a muck of the storyline, if he has one !!

Meyers, on the other hand, has a stupid almost childish premise for the entire plot - A plot where one leaves all logic behind. I like fantasy but has to be believable.. thinkable...transportable...like the HP series...



Edited by angelirebelli - 16 November 2011 at 7:26am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

DamyanthiatominisRafeal.

Rafeal.

IF-Sizzlerz

Rafeal.

Joined: 20 February 2010

Posts: 10103

Posted: 19 November 2011 at 4:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angelirebelli

In the books I have read, the one that definitely stands out is the Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.. 

I know there exists a huge fan base for her ideologies but somehow I just couldn't connect with the book. It didn't hold my interest enough for me to finish it and I fell asleep more often than not (not a good sign) and when I took a break came back to the book thinking I wasn't in the right frame of mind.. i did it again and again and again..  I dunno how I managed to finish the book or did I ?? >sigh<

I prefer her book The Fountainhead to Atlas Shrugged...

I have to admit like many here I don't think I have understood Coelho either and same goes with the Stephenie Meyers... 

Coelho,for me, in a effort to transcend all boundaries of being philosophical, makes a muck of the storyline, if he has one !!

Meyers, on the other hand, has a stupid almost childish premise for the entire plot - A plot where one leaves all logic behind. I like fantasy but has to be believable.. thinkable...transportable...like the HP series...


Interesting... i dont like Coelho or Meyers

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

angelirebelli

Damyanthi

Goldie

Damyanthi

Joined: 30 June 2010

Posts: 2381

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged
LOL Great topic Star I agree with you on both points; I can never put a book down without finishing it and I agree with you about the twilight series too, can't comment much on it 'coz I have never been much of a fantasy readerEmbarrassed I have tried to read HP too, the first book, don't remember its name now, for atleast a dozen times, but I have never been able to finish itEmbarrassedEmbarrassed Now that's not to say I HATE it, it's just that I found it boring. But there was a book where I seriously wanted to break the author's nose for writing such tripe AngryDead It's called Star struck The MOST stupid book that I have EVER read! This is how the cover looks! Don't read it even if you are jobless! It isn't fantasy and even my friends who like HP and the twilight series couldn't get past the third chapter LOL

Edited by Petrouska - 21 November 2011 at 3:27am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

angelirebelli

Damyanthi

Goldie

Damyanthi

Joined: 30 June 2010

Posts: 2381

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:45pm | IP Logged

After reading some of the posts, I have renewed my list of books that gave me a permant brain damageLOL

I had read those books so long ago that I din't even remember themLOL
 
Most of the books by Barabara Cartland. They are apparantly love stories where an 18 year old bholi baali girl, virgin, most important, innocent and inexperienced will end up falling for a guy thrice her ageConfused And this guy will always be tall dark and handsome and oh a womanizerSleepy Why they fall in love, nobody knows. It's always the same with some of these romance books; tall, dark handsome man helping damsel in distressWacko And the worst part's that Barbara Cartland continued writing such mindless love stories till the age of 90ShockedShockedShockedShocked
 
And ofcourse, the Alchemist, how could I have forgotten that oneShockedLOL Reading that book is a sure shot cure for insomniaLOLLOL
 


Edited by Petrouska - 21 November 2011 at 3:38am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

angelirebelliRafeal.

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Joined: 26 June 2010

Posts: 2591

Posted: 22 November 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Petrouska

After reading some of the posts, I have renewed my list of books that gave me a permant brain damageLOL

I had read those books so long ago that I din't even remember themLOL
 
Most of the books by Barabara Cartland. They are apparantly love stories where an 18 year old bholi baali girl, virgin, most important, innocent and inexperienced will end up falling for a guy thrice her ageConfused And this guy will always be tall dark and handsome and oh a womanizerSleepy Why they fall in love, nobody knows. It's always the same with some of these romance books; tall, dark handsome man helping damsel in distressWacko And the worst part's that Barbara Cartland continued writing such mindless love stories till the age of 90Shocked
 
And ofcourse, the Alchemist, how could I have forgotten that oneShockedLOL Reading that book is a sure shot cure for insomniaLOLLOL
 

I agree to the Barbara Cartland and her plots... the damsels in distress.. the rakes.. or reformed rakes... n all that jazz.. >sigh<

@ Alchemist - I would incessantly fall asleep...Dead

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

DamyanthiRafeal.

Arwen.

IF-Sizzlerz

Arwen.

Joined: 30 September 2008

Posts: 13472

Posted: 24 November 2011 at 10:32pm | IP Logged
I hated Gone With the Wind ... so much so that I stopped reading it midway and haven't picked it up again (this was the first time that i left a novel unfinished)

Reason for my hatred? SCARLETT O'HARA DeadDeadDead I agree with what BTV said ... I seriously think that Scralett has to be the worse heroine in literary history... I mean.. she goes through heart break, child birth and four years of war and deprivation and she still remained that selfish.. self centered..and BLIND?? (stopped reading the novel when i read that line about her marrying Kennedy so don't know how much more stupid she got) Such a great premise, setting and hero (Rhett Day Dreaming)all ruined by brains down her ass heroine Dead 

And Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Whatever potential this novel had was ruined for me at the very first page.. Man and woman are walking down the road .. then we have the descriptions of everything from the winds and grass.. and two, three pages later.. man and woman are still walking down the road Dead His poetry was good but for me Hardy is still verryy over-rated 

Twilight Saga ... erm.. i m glad i didn't waste my time on those novels LOL Alex and the movies were enough for me to avoid this one (thank godLOL)

And oh ...as much as i m fan of Harlequin and Silhouette and M&Bs etc ..i absolutely hated Penny Jordan Dead Jeez what was that Dead?




Edited by Arwen. - 24 November 2011 at 10:32pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

silver.angelirebelli

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Joined: 26 June 2010

Posts: 2591

Posted: 25 November 2011 at 4:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Arwen.

I hated Gone With the Wind ... so much so that I stopped reading it midway and haven't picked it up again (this was the first time that i left a novel unfinished)

Reason for my hatred? SCARLETT O'HARA DeadDeadDead I agree with what BTV said ... I seriously think that Scralett has to be the worse heroine in literary history... I mean.. she goes through heart break, child birth and four years of war and deprivation and she still remained that selfish.. self centered..and BLIND?? (stopped reading the novel when i read that line about her marrying Kennedy so don't know how much more stupid she got) Such a great premise, setting and hero (Rhett Day Dreaming)all ruined by brains down her ass heroine Dead 

And Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Whatever potential this novel had was ruined for me at the very first page.. Man and woman are walking down the road .. then we have the descriptions of everything from the winds and grass.. and two, three pages later.. man and woman are still walking down the road Dead His poetry was good but for me Hardy is still verryy over-rated 

Twilight Saga ... erm.. i m glad i didn't waste my time on those novels LOL Alex and the movies were enough for me to avoid this one (thank godLOL)

And oh ...as much as i m fan of Harlequin and Silhouette and M&Bs etc ..i absolutely hated Penny Jordan Dead Jeez what was that Dead?



I read Gone with the Wind like ages ago.. and Rhett Butler was definitely something...Wink

I am in absolute agreement with Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles.. I just couldn't go past a few pages, no matter how hard I tried.. This is one "classic" that holds such a distinction...



The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Arwen.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Recommend - A - BOOK!

2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47

datspreets 374 61007 29 December 2012 at 4:24pm
By B428
What's Your Favorite Agatha Christie Book?

2 3 4

MrMonster 29 4007 04 April 2012 at 10:22pm
By ElusiveDevotion
Which is your favourite Harry Potter book

2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11

RAJAYE_HIND 84 8904 13 August 2011 at 3:23pm
By -GredForge-
Your Latest Favourite book?

2 3 4 5 6 7

_Ashy_ 50 4715 11 May 2011 at 7:22am
By s.kundan
Over-rated book which turned out trashy?

2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18

datspreets 141 16503 23 January 2011 at 2:14pm
By koolchick

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Book Talk Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

 

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.