Book Talk

A book that gave you a permanant brain damage. :P (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 21

x.sunayna.x

IF-Dazzler

x.sunayna.x

Posted: 09 September 2011 at 3:20am | IP Logged
A lot of people disagree with me on this one, but I cannot read Jodi Picoult. Her style of writing puts me off, and I find each of her books exactly the same. Death, law suits, health problems .. I could handle the first few but I feel as though each time I walk into a book shop she has another one out, a replica of the last :(
And then there's the trashy vampire books, including Twilight, I don't know what I was thinking when I picked up the books !

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Nimmi.DamyanthiElusiveDevotionisomerscooldude10iTangled_25

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A book that gave you a permanant brain damage. :P (Page 7)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aubade.

IF-Sizzlerz

Aubade.

Posted: 09 September 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged
Anything to do with vampires makes me puke..Except Twilight..Love it..But its mostly because of the movies..the books were for understanding the movie better..I would prefer watching the movies over and over than reading it..But then its a love story, although too flawless, and i might read sometime far away when i might need to refreshen my memory..But this is my opinion..Twilight has got equal support as equal hatred..So let be it..
Then there is this book 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova..Good Lord..I dragged myself to read the 5th chapter just so my insides wont ask me 'what if the story's main began after that'??..But i couldnt take it anymore..and left it..Its elongated description of every damn thing..Its usually description neatly done that attracts me..But this, never..
Not a fan of Paul Coelho either..I think ideas like his will be more useful in spiritual and personality development books than making them novels..

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

cooldude10

Keanufan

Keanufan

Posted: 11 September 2011 at 8:53am | IP Logged
@ NerdBuster: :it had some really shocking and bordering on pedophilia type scenes.

What is that supposed to mean? Plz explain>>>>> I mean twilight and pedophilia?? Sorry?

Edited by Keanufan - 11 September 2011 at 9:03am

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 15 September 2011 at 8:57am | IP Logged
Hello, there. Approve

The reason why Twilight was published is positively that Stephanie Meyer first wrote it and then thought it good enough to be shared with the mass. Now, why she thought so, both you and I don't understand (obviously) but there are people who do. So, our notions are totally personal. I am no hypocrite, though. I love Jacob Black, he's the realest of them all, and flawed for sense, I believe. Why I love him is that he is totally unfit for a story such as Twilight. He could be a werewolf and act to his nature, unlike Edward Cullen who married his prey, Jake was just kid who'd had to change out of nowhere because 'he was not good' and that his best friend wanted to be back to her vampire boyfriend without any prior warnings. He was real and it broke my heart (nearly) to read him the way he was written in Breaking Dawn. However, his point of view in the book is the best I have read from this particular author. So, well, my point is, I dislike Twilight but I can't say it is my least favorite, all the same. Stern Smile

My least favorite has to be Two States by Chetan Bhagat, and in spite of suffering it, I tried Five Point Someone and well, I suffered again. But no, this time, I did not read the whole. What I don't like about Mister Bhagat's books is that they are real and everything, but the words somehow don't live up to his plot. And that's the reason why I like 3 Idiots the movie, but can't get through the book it has been etched from which is very unlike me because well, there are no books better in any world than Harry Potter and Pride and Prejudice. I love the HP movies and I l love all Pride and Prejudice adaptations, but well, certainly not Five Point Someone. 

-Savage

isomers

isomers

IF-Sizzlerz

isomers

Posted: 21 September 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged
It seems like everyone( mostly everyone at least) shares the same opinion about Twilight. I'll have to agree with you guys. I hate leaving a series mid-way, but I had to make an exception for the Twilight series. The characters made me gag (Bella was such a shallow character, no depth whatsoever), the sexist content was disgusting..and I could go on and on, but I'll stop it here. Oh, also..the books were just plain boring. The first one, I could handle..the rest, bah. 

There's another series I left mid-way, The Inheritance Cycle. I loved Eragon and I was so excited to read Eldest..but it totally crushed my opinion. I couldn't even finish the book, it seriously dragged on way too much. 

Jodi Picoult, meh. Her stories get really repetitive. I read two of her books and I  liked them, but got bored after those two.
Nicholas Sparks is another author that bores me. I don't even understand why his books are so popular, then again..I'm more into the fantasy genre, so that's probably my problem.

The last two books in the TVD series. UGH. I hated Elena, in the book, from the beginning, but she just became worse as the books went on. Unpopular opinion, I know. I couldn't take how her character was handled (and some of the others as well), so I started disliking that series. I still finished all the books, with great difficulty. 

I have more books, but I can't remember them at the moment :D 

Edited by stillunwritten - 21 September 2011 at 11:27pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

cooldude10epiphany.

cooldude10

IF-Sizzlerz

cooldude10

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 7:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Keanufan

@ NerdBuster: :it had some really shocking and bordering on pedophilia type scenes.

What is that supposed to mean? Plz explain>>>>> I mean twilight and pedophilia?? Sorry?
I remember a scene from the book where it was VERY heart-warming to read at first. It had to do with Quill. One of the werewolves.. and it happened in breaking dawn. Anyhow, i was reading it, and Quill seemed to be playing around with a baby girl. And that was jacob's point of view, from which i read. Quill was playing around with this girl, really happy and BAM! Meyer drops a bomb that Quill apparently has 'imprinted' on this child. Now, that was just disgusting. 

Chapter Eight: (Jacob's point of view)
Waiting for the Damn fight to start already - I wonder who approved these titles, btw. 

The weird part was, Quil was having just as much fun as she was. He didn't have that face on that so many tourist dads and moms were wearing--the when-is-naptime? face. You never saw a real parent so jazzed to play whatever stupid kiddie sport their rugrat could think up. I'd seen Quil play peekaboo for an hour straight without getting bored.

And also the fact that Jacob imprints on Reneesme is indeed disgusting. It ruined Jacob for me. Actually, Imprinting was something that was completely unneccessary. It's not properly explained and it's disgusting.

- and i know this comment wasn't directed at me, but I needed to reply to this.

And i realise I have over-used the word disgusting LOL 

Oh and one more thing, the fact that the woman does not have a choice in this whole 'Imprinting' thing is sexist to me.

Edited by cooldude10 - 22 September 2011 at 7:29am

silver.

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 12:50am | IP Logged
I honestly don't believe that a harmless BOOK out of all the horrendous things in the universe can give me brain damage...but Twilight comes close. LOL Also, there are a few like 'Heart of darkness', pretty much anything by Charles Dickens OR my chemistry textbooks that I can't comprehend...so that wouldn't be brain damage. More like I can't understand cuz I'm so dumb. Wacko

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Damyanthix.sunayna.xcooldude10

hopehot

IF-Sizzlerz

hopehot

Posted: 30 September 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged
didn't read twillight  or watch movies
and will not either

*** sorry if i offended any one ...didn't mean too***

silver.

Post Reply New Post