Book Talk

A book that gave you a permanant brain damage. :P (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 21

Page 1
Page   of 21
Page 3 Page 21

aishwaryagayen

IF-Rockerz

aishwaryagayen

Posted: 31 July 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged
lol i hv my own saga ll no i cnt tk them heheheee

another bok tht gave me brain damage was
the hund f baskervilles .. so much hyped abt but i felt asleep all the 8 timesss wheni tried reading ittt

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

silver.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A book that gave you a permanant brain damage. :P (Page 2)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 31 July 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by aishwaryagayen

huh m a twilight fanatic btw hahahah everyone doesnt have same choices ... and nothing is perfectt

i hated the last release of the vampire diaries series i mean lj smith had a class and by giving it to a ghost writer i thnk the whole series got ruined for me anywayy ...

The last book of the Vampire Diaries was in fact written by LJ Smith... plus she didn't turn her books over to a ghostwriter, she was fired by her publishers and they were the ones who hired a ghostwriter... if you read her blog you'll know that she was extremely torn up about it.

aishwaryagayen

IF-Rockerz

aishwaryagayen

Posted: 01 August 2011 at 10:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chhilt

Originally posted by aishwaryagayen

huh m a twilight fanatic btw hahahah everyone doesnt have same choices ... and nothing is perfectt

i hated the last release of the vampire diaries series i mean lj smith had a class and by giving it to a ghost writer i thnk the whole series got ruined for me anywayy ...

The last book of the Vampire Diaries was in fact written by LJ Smith... plus she didn't turn her books over to a ghostwriter, she was fired by her publishers and they were the ones who hired a ghostwriter... if you read her blog you'll know that she was extremely torn up about it.

i dont think you quite know the thing the first 3 chapters of the last book was done by ljsmith and the rest are by ghost writer see its written credited to lj smith not written by and amazon has clearly mentioned it anywayyy
and i didnt mean lj smith gave her books to someonle ll i mean the publication house toook the right ffrom her
and yes m too a big fan of her i read every book writtenbyher starting from dark visions to firbidden game to secret circle
and i love her and i understand her distress

silver.

silver.

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

[start ranting] Lord of the Rings trilogy. Was I reading an encyclopedia?! Has anyone read such banal, tedious and long-winded prose ever?

Gone with the Wind! What utter rubbish dressed as literature. Has anyone ever read about a character more obnoxious and self-centric than that Scarlett O'Hara?!

Any Mills and Boon crap, actually. Nine year olds can write better PWP fanfictions. [end ranting]
I quite agree with the fact that LOTR was, most of the time, a complete drag. It took me quite a while to finish the first book because Tolkien provided excessive details and dragged on the story for like... ever. But i quite liked it. I love fantasy and even though LOTR had far too much information for me to take in easily, i enjoyed the experience. The plot was very interesting for me. So i read on.

I have never read any M&B stories. Believe me, i didn't... ever. LOL Infact, love stories aren't really my thing you know. But i did read one when I was about thirteen, i guess. It was called the twilight saga. Dead Yeah, i read it when I was thirteen.  I'm still shudder to think about it again. OH GOD.

I've heard too much about gone with the wind to read it. I was tempted once, but i didn't. Good thinking, i guess because i don't like protagonists who are obnoxious, whiny and/or pathetic.

haha.

silver.

silver.

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ammygurl

It has the to be the twilight series. I used to like them till a few pages and then I realized well, the premise is flawed. I left it and now thinking of someone to gift my WHOLE series to. Anyone interested ? 
I would give them for free. 
It wasn't really just the premise. Stephenie meyer does not know how to write. My little brother could write better than her and i'm certainly not joking. Really though, after reading breaking dawn (which i was forced to read - dont' ask. haha) I think I'm like permanantly scarred. Gosh, i could write pages and pages of critisicm against it and not feel content.  LOLLOLLOL

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 11:54am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

silver.

silver.

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

I quite agree with the fact that LOTR was, most of the time, a complete drag. It took me quite a while to finish the first book because Tolkien provided excessive details and dragged on the story for like... ever. But i quite liked it. I love fantasy and even though LOTR had far too much information for me to take in easily, i enjoyed the experience. The plot was very interesting for me. So i read on.

It wasn't just the fact that the book was so unevenly paced and badly edited that bothered me (though, the excruciatingly slow parts did nothing other than reaffirm my belief aabout Tolkien's writing abilities). It was more the fact that I felt the book wasn't very well-written to begin with - to repeat what I'd said before about LoTR: Filling pages upon pages about the green grass of Middle Earth doesn't reflect extraordinary writing capability. If anything at all, it goes on to show how lost, moralistic, and affected his work was. It's no surprise that various other modern authors are now 'copying' his plot but retelling his story in a much better way. Tolkien does seem to have a powerful imagination - but somehow, his work in LoTR came more across as an encyclopedia than anything else. And if I wanted to read an encyclopedic type of material, I would have searched for it; not gone for a novel.

But then, I am not 'into' the fantasy genre, really. I love HP to death, but I love that series more for its characters and less for the plot that surrounds them. Somehow I had never been able to warm up to the fantasy genre, and I think, if you aren't all that into it, it's somewhat more difficult to devour a fantasy book when you are an adult than it is when you are a child. Probably someone who is into the fantasy genre will find something enjoyable in that book. But as far 'novelistic' aspects are concerned, it's an absolute disaster. Strictly IMO, but I have tried to give reasons in its favor.

And if LoTR is any indication of Tolkien's overall writing, I'm not picking up another book of Tolkien again. Such bad pacing, ponderous and pretentious prose, underdeveloped characters aren't my thing.

Gollum gets the vote for being the most entertaining and intriguing element in this otherwise borefest.

Sorry, if my post comes off as offensive. I am a straight shooter actually.

I have never read any M&B stories. Believe me, i didn't... ever. LOL Infact, love stories aren't really my thing you know. But i did read one when I was about thirteen, i guess. It was called the twilight saga. Dead Yeah, i read it when I was thirteen.  I'm still shudder to think about it again. OH GOD.

Don't even mention Twilight to me. Not just bad writing, but also vehemently sexist and misogynistic too.

I've heard too much about gone with the wind to read it. I was tempted once, but i didn't. Good thinking, i guess because i don't like protagonists who are obnoxious, whiny and/or pathetic.

Please don't. I have never met a more obnoxious, self-centric, narrow-minded, a$$-brained protagonist before. Worst of all is the fact that, throughout the course of the almost 1000 pages the book has to offer, the main character doesn't change one bit. And any book - especially one that is so utterly long and is about such an utterly flawed character - without proper character development is poor, in my opinion.

haha.
No, your post doesn't come off as offensive at all. LOL I just haven't read enough to critisise tolkien's writing. In my honest opinion, even with all the unneccessary, unending details, the picture that needed to be formed inside my head didn't. He didn't show me what he described. I don't know if that makes sense at all :/ And yes, i quite agree with the fact that he had a powerful imagination. IMO, he was a mad genius. LOL 

@the twilight comment: I think it;s better if I keep this to myself. LOL

I don't think Scarlett could be as bad as bella though. LOLLOLLOL

Edited by silver. - 21 August 2011 at 11:42am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

18shabbo

silver.

silver.

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:09pm | IP Logged

Oh and Bella whines and complains all the time. And yes, the amount of sexism in it wants me actually, really punch stephenie. YOU ARE A WOMAN. 

I still remember flipping through the pages and every paragraph started with 'His beautiful face'...'Edward's perfect smile'... 'oh perfect perfect edward... he can't be bad at anything... his perfect eyebrow... angelic than anything that ever existed'

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Oh and I watched one of Smeyer's interview. I can't even --

"What I'm going to write is going to be so fantasy, that it'll have a map on the front. I mean, the map's the judge right?''

*headdesk*

Edited by silver. - 02 August 2011 at 1:10pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

GalwayGirlLavenderCrystal-Devanshi-HelloHunnyBunnyMemyself09shivani003cooldude10

Post Reply New Post

Go to top