Shantipriya is Devki (according to TOI)

Posted: 12 years ago

Shanti Priya

After roping in Pankaj Dheer's son Nikitin to play King Kalyavan who will give a hard time to Lord Krishna (Vishal Karwal), the makers have now finalised Bollywood actress Shanti Priya for another pivotal role in Imagine TV'sDwarkadheesh.

Shanti who shot to fame with Sugandh, a movie that also starred Akshay Kumar, will be playing Devki, Lord Krishna's mother, in the mythological show. The actress was last seen as Mata Vaishno devi in Sahara One's Mata KI Chowki. This is Shanti's second show on TV. Actress Priya Bathija, a Balaji find, is essaying the role of Rukmini in the show. 

(From Times of India)

Edited by aalochak - 12 years ago
Yayyy that means the character will indeed show up! What a relief :D and given that she earned quite a following in mata ki chowki I guess they will use her generously here too. But... does she look like she can be Gauri's MIL :S anyways looking forward to her entry. Thanks for the news yaar, and nice seeing you again!Edited by lola610 - 12 years ago
Shantipriya is a good actress. Nice to see her back :)
WOW, good.

I didnt know Kalyavan was Pankaj Dheer's son. Man, he has an amzing screen presence.
Nice to know that Devaki will be in - hopefully, Ugrasena, Vasudev & Rohini will follow.

Lola, wouldn't Revathy's MIL be Rohini?  Question would be whether Shanti would look like an MIL to big Rukmini.
Thanks for sharing.
Finally Devaki is stepping in. Waiting for the entry of other pivotal characters also.
Originally posted by _Vrish_

Nice to know that Devaki will be in - hopefully, Ugrasena, Vasudev & Rohini will follow.

Lola, wouldn't Revathy's MIL be Rohini?  Question would be whether Shanti would look like an MIL to big Rukmini.

Yeah but when we read this, the Rukmini Haran track showed signs of going mad slow so I had doubts of her becoming a DIL any time soon... figured Revati would be the only female in Dwarika to compare her to for a while 😆 But given that the precap showed the letter being delivered by the right person, I have hopefully been disproved! And actually now that I think about it, Devaki did carry Balram in her womb for a long time before he was transferred to Rohini, so it's fair enough to consider her Revati's MIL as well.

That does make me wonder - if they could transfer Balaram to Rohini, why couldn't they do the same for Krishna as well?  And if only they could have done it for the first 6 babies as well. 😆

Incidentally, when Vasudev & Devaki were in jail, Rohini was in Gokul?  As what?  Wouldn't she have lived in Vasudev's house if Kansa didn't imprison her as well?

Also, had Kansa just separated those newly weds and thrown just Devaki into jail, w/ no male contacts, he might have had a good chance of achieving the same thing w/o killing anybody. 🤔

Oh, one more question - didn't Ugrasena have any living wife during and after his imprisonment?

Back on topic - if Shantipriya is Devaki, wonder who should Rohini be?  I wonder if Alka Mukherjee, who played Subhadra in BRC would be available?  Even if she's off acting, it would be more or less a few cameo roles, like being present in Krishna's various marriages as well as Subhadras, blessing her bahus, maybe playing w/ Subhadra and so on.
Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago
Originally posted by _Vrish_

That does make me wonder - if they could transfer Balaram to Rohini, why couldn't they do the same for Krishna as well?  And if only they could have done it for the first 6 babies as well. 😆

Aww that would've been really nice, spared them a lot of torture. Alas, "vidhi ka vidhaan" 😛 The babies had to undergo that because they were incarnations of once-prideful gandharvas who received that curse from Brahma. They were in limbo after this experience and attained final liberation after Krishna brings back from Paatal on Devaki's request, a story which I hope gets the touching treatment it deserves later in this show.

Incidentally, when Vasudev & Devaki were in jail, Rohini was in Gokul?  As what?  Wouldn't she have lived in Vasudev's house if Kansa didn't imprison her as well?
Rohini was indeed in Gokul, she was moved there right after their imprisonment for safety. The Bhagavat only mentions that she was there secretly, RS SK told us that she was there disguised as a priestess and stayed in hiding until Rishi Shandilya revealed the reason for her sudden pregnancy - after that, Nand was advised to introduce her as her real self and explain that she was just brought over from Mathura so that at least one child of Vasudev's could be saved. It was a cool way of explaining how they avoided attracting gossip and infamy for either party, but don't recall for sure which text has it. Possibly Garg Samhita because that goes into the most detail about what went on in Mathura before and during Krishna's childhood in Gokul.
Also, had Kansa just separated those newly weds and thrown just Devaki into jail, w/ no male contacts, he might have had a good chance of achieving the same thing w/o killing anybody. 🤔
That's a common joke, actually, schoolmaster tells the story and kid raises his hand to ask why Kans didn't do this. Easy answer? Vidhi ka Vidhaan ðŸ˜› Also, if Vasudev was as chivalrous as proved to be in saving her life, he probably wouldn't let Kans place her in solitary confinement without putting up a fight. 
Oh, one more question - didn't Ugrasena have any living wife during and after his imprisonment?
Not as per what I've read; his wife Padmavati had passed away quite young. However in JSK they called her Nandini, kept her alive, and had her in prison with him, but not sure where that came from.
Back on topic - if Shantipriya is Devaki, wonder who should Rohini be?  I wonder if Alka Mukherjee, who played Subhadra in BRC would be available?  Even if she's off acting, it would be more or less a few cameo roles, like being present in Krishna's various marriages as well as Subhadras, blessing her bahus, maybe playing w/ Subhadra and so on.
Aww that would be sweet! Aloka was cute, one of my more liked actresses from BRC MB. If we're limited to ladies who are currently active in the telly industry, I'd vote for... hmmm... Renuka Shahane!!!
Edited by lola610 - 12 years ago
I wonder whether this serial is likely to use 'vidhi ka vidhan' the way the AS Ramayan did? 😆