So the greatest enemy is Anandi !!! - Page 3

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by groucho

My personal feeling is that regardless of any member of the family shouting at her...she will not be able to vent at them because it is, after all, their blessings that she is wanting.

But in her insecurity due to her being either ignored by the family members, she feels Anandi is the cause of all this...because everyone is showering all their love and gives Anandi the position that Gauri craves for.

Besides who else can she vent her anger on, now that she has seen even Jagya running after Anandi...

Insecurity, lack of knowledge about her true standing in the house (which all the others know about except for G and J) plus what she feels as ill treatment by J's family have reduced her to this state.

Sometimes, as a child when you suffer a trauma, it never leaves your psyche and inevitably comes back to haunt you and affect you in ways that you least expect or like...Besides she does not even know what it is to be a part of a household since you were brought in as a child bride and have literally grown with them in all these years...that is something she cannot comprehend.

I do not say this to make excuses for Gauri as for me she is just a depiction of a character in a fictional serial but I think for myself, I would like to try and understand why a bright and intelligent girl could have changed so much in such a short time and go against all that she believed and preached about.πŸ˜•

Good analysis Aditi (?). However, i would like to disagree with you on two counts.
Firstly, if Gauri's hatred towards Anandi is due to her childhood trauma then it has no basis. Precisely because Anandi was not the causal factor of the trauma------in fact a trauma victim always feels indebted and positive about the persons who helped her during the trauma. If Gauri is acting under the influence of trauma then her greatest gall should be directed towards Dadisa (for she was the one who initiated the whole wedding) and Bhairon ( for initiating the annuling process). Anandi does not figure anywhere in the trauma map and even if she does, she is a positive presence there and Gauri would not have forgotten how she supported her in that critical moment. So I am not buying the trauma logic.

Yes, I agree with you that Gauri's actions are the result of the situations she is going through. If things would have been smooth, if everybody had accepted her wholeheartedly and thrown out Anandi out of the haveli, Gauri would have been contended and left happily. There wouldn't have been a change of her personality.

But the point is, life doesn't always turn out the way you want to be. And that's where a human being's character is tested. It's very easy to lecture about values on a  sunny day a but if you can't stand by your ideology in the face of crisis, then your lectures are just lectures and not beliefs. That's precisely what Anandi said---------Gauri has failed in the exam of life. And that's precisely my discontentment with Gauri----------she appeared to be someone who truly believed in the ideologies but turned out to be just preaching them. So I don't think she believed in what she preached, she is just another girl of empty rhetoric who claims lofty ideals and high values, but soon as it comes to applying them, she predictably shies away according to her convenience.

I agree with your part @ bold blue--------Anandi is the easy target. So lets bully her πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
Originally posted by woman11

Good analysis Aditi (?). However, i would like to disagree with you on two counts.
Firstly, if Gauri's hatred towards Anandi is due to her childhood trauma then it has no basis. Precisely because Anandi was not the causal factor of the trauma------in fact a trauma victim always feels indebted and positive about the persons who helped her during the trauma. If Gauri is acting under the influence of trauma then her greatest gall should be directed towards Dadisa (for she was the one who initiated the whole wedding) and Bhairon ( for initiating the annuling process). Anandi does not figure anywhere in the trauma map and even if she does, she is a positive presence there and Gauri would not have forgotten how she supported her in that critical moment. So I am not buying the trauma logic.

Yes, I agree with you that Gauri's actions are the result of the situations she is going through. If things would have been smooth, if everybody had accepted her wholeheartedly and thrown out Anandi out of the haveli, Gauri would have been contended and left happily. There wouldn't have been a change of her personality.

But the point is, life doesn't always turn out the way you want to be. And that's where a human being's character is tested. It's very easy to lecture about values on a  sunny day a but if you can't stand by your ideology in the face of crisis, then your lectures are just lectures and not beliefs. That's precisely what Anandi said---------Gauri has failed in the exam of life. And that's precisely my discontentment with Gauri----------she appeared to be someone who truly believed in the ideologies but turned out to be just preaching them. So I don't think she believed in what she preached, she is just another girl of empty rhetoric who claims lofty ideals and high values, but soon as it comes to applying them, she predictably shies away according to her convenience.

I agree with your part @ bold blue--------Anandi is the easy target. So lets bully her πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Hi,

I never meant that Gauri' s temper due to her trauma was directed at Anandi...it was a general statement for the whole family. It is quite obvious that she has forgotten how kind Anandi was to her and what a wimp Jagya was...that is selective memory for youπŸ˜‰

I have always believed that one cannot sit and judge another person and his or her capabilities of handling situations because unless we ourselves have been privy to them it is really difficult to second guess the outcome...in this case we are actually trying to second guess a fictional character whose mental capabilities are being handled by the perception of the CV's...a very difficult job at least for me.πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•
Originally posted by groucho

Hi,

I never meant that Gauri' s temper due to her trauma was directed at Anandi...it was a general statement for the whole family. It is quite obvious that she has forgotten how kind Anandi was to her and what a wimp Jagya was...that is selective memory for youπŸ˜‰

I have always believed that one cannot sit and judge another person and his or her capabilities of handling situations because unless we ourselves have been privy to them it is really difficult to second guess the outcome...in this case we are actually trying to second guess a fictional character whose mental capabilities are being handled by the perception of the CV's...a very difficult job at least for me.πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•

True, it's fallacious to judge another person especially a fictional character. But we do have our responses towards imaginary characters created by novelists, film makers or dramatists. That's precisely why we feel moved by a book or a movie------and some characters become immortal, some inspire us while some evoke disgust. Maybe you vouch for a more New Critical reading of the text but I see a fiction with more affective value. I believe all the characters in the serial are refractions (if not reflections) of real life people, and by analyzing them we try to negotiate our own understanding of the real world. Thus, it's fascinating for me to analyze a character, maybe you see things differently-----so it's just a matter of different perspectives.

And regarding the CVs, it seems we are again falling into another fallacy. If we consider the CVs, then the discussion goes to a completely different realm-------that way we need to consider the motives and thoughts of only the writer and the way Purnendu Shekhar is shaping the serial. In that case there's nothing left to discuss about Anandi, Gauri, Jagya, Dadisa or anyone------because they are all creations of the CVs and we should only discuss them as how they project different figments of the writer's psyche.
However, the discussion here was based on the premise that "the author is dead", l was just looking at the story and its characters. I agree with you that the CVs are twisting things according to the TRPs, but in this particular post my analysis was solely based on Gauri as a character in the story and her actions.

Again, as I said, it's just a matter of different perspectives. Othello and Hamlet fascinate me as characters in themselves, not only as creations of Shakespeare. There is obviously no comparison between the quality of BV and the quality of Shakespeare's immortal plays--------but the point I want to make is that do we always bring in Shakespeare as a writer while discussing the characters or do we analyze the characters in their own terms? For me, the characters stand on their own and I analyze them as people (btw both of them are pretty eccentric and extreme too!!), not as the twisted imagination of Shakespeare. But maybe it's other way round for you :) So I hope we agree to disagree.πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by woman11 - 12 years ago

True, it's fallacious to judge another person especially a fictional character. But we do have our responses towards imaginary characters created by novelists, film makers or dramatists. That's precisely why we feel moved by a book or a movie------and some characters become immortal, some inspire us while some evoke disgust. Maybe you vouch for a more New Critical reading of the text but I see a fiction with more affective value. I believe all the characters in the serial are refractions (if not reflections) of real life people, and by analyzing them we try to negotiate our own understanding of the real world. Thus, it's fascinating for me to analyze a character, maybe you see things differently-----so it's just a matter of different perspectives.

And regarding the CVs, it seems we are again falling into another fallacy. If we consider the CVs, then the discussion goes to a completely different realm-------that way we need to consider the motives and thoughts of only the writer and the way Purnendu Shekhar is shaping the serial. In that case there's nothing left to discuss about Anandi, Gauri, Jagya, Dadisa or anyone------because they are all creations of the CVs and we should only discuss them as how they project different figments of the writer's psyche.
However, the discussion here was based on the premise that "the author is dead", l was just looking at the story and its characters. I agree with you that the CVs are twisting things according to the TRPs, but in this particular post my analysis was solely based on Gauri as a character in the story and her actions.

Again, as I said, it's just a matter of different perspectives. Othello and Hamlet fascinate me as characters in themselves, not only as creations of Shakespeare. But maybe it's other way round for you :) So I hope we agree to disagree.πŸ˜ƒ

Oh my goodness😲😲...I do apologise...I have seldom come across someone who actually thinks like you doπŸ˜ƒ...I review films and so I understand exactly where you are coming from...but since I joined it was more of what the channel , the CV's were aiming to project more than responding to the characters themselves. So I just followed the bandwagon since it requires a like minded person to understand.

I tried the analysing concept but it did not work with most...I hope we have some interesting exchange of posts about some of my favourite characters too...I am however swamped with so many foreign film reviews that I am finding it difficult to come online as much I would like to.

There is no question of agreeing to disagree as I think you are one of the rarities in this Forum. I would be happy to exchange views with you anytime.

However, a character such as Hamlet which one sees in a film or theatre or reads about cannot be compared to a character in a serial which lives in your home 200+ days of the year in your home...try as I might, I cannot find any character that I have seen outside these serials which have yo yoed as much as these have. So I guess on that point we might have to agree to disagree.😊
Edited by groucho - 12 years ago

absolutely Jagya ka saath khoon maaf, chillao toh sirf Anandi par😲 woh bhi without a reason.
What has Anandi done to you? Nothing.
Then why are you shouting at Anandi? Because I am so Jealous!!!πŸ₯±

I think this was due to part jealousy and part the absolute inability to fathom why Anandi is so loved and her reasoning is listened to

She is incapable of understanding what years of living with a family who treat her as their own is actually like.

Jagya can lie blatantly or lie secretively but Gauri needs to or has to overlook it...because at this point she has at least that much intelligence to know when not to rock the boat and lose him in the process.