Pakistani Cinema: Dead or Dying?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Farhanas

Farhanas

Posted: 09 January 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged
Pakistani cinema: Dead or dying?

By SEVY ALI

l am a London-based film producer currently working in India and Pakistan. Over the years I have become increasingly disillusioned with the state of Pakistan's film industry. If the industry is not dead, it is certainly dying.

In the 1970s, Pakistan was one of the 10 largest film-producing nations in the world. At its height it produced over 300 films a year. Now it produces 20 films a year and this number will be even lower in 2006. It is clear to all that there has been a steady decline in the number of cinemas in Pakistan over the past two decades. If this decline is not quickly addressed by the government then the Pakistani film industry will cease to exist.

When I was growing up in Karachi in the early seventies, there were over 500 cinemas in the country, but today there are less than 200 cinemas left nationwide.

To remedy this bleak situation the government must contemplate radical changes in the laws concerning the exhibition of foreign films in Pakistan. In addition, the government must review its policy regarding co-productions between Pakistani and foreign film-makers to help revive the ailing film industry in Pakistan.

Indian film-makers such as Mahesh Bhatt and Subhash Ghai, who recently attended the KaraFilm Festival in Karachi, are willing to work with Pakistani talent and technicians to help them make better and technically good films. But the government of Pakistan has shown little interest in the matter, while in India the film industry grosses over US $800 million a year all of it taxable.

There is no restriction on the screening of American and British films or any other foreign films in Pakistan, so surely it makes little sense to place any such restrictions on Indian films

The Indian government does not place restrictions on Pakistani artistes and technicians from working in its film industry, and it is my strongly held belief that the Pakistani government should reciprocate by lifting any such bans that prevent Indian artistes and technicians from working in Pakistan.

There is no restriction on the screening of American and British films or any other foreign films in Pakistan, so surely it makes little sense to place any such restrictions on Indian films.

This should not be seen as a suggestion to flood Pakistani cinemas with Indian films. Rather, I suggest the government consider exhibiting selected and limited Indian films so that Pakistani cinemas can survive. As it is, Pakistani cinemas will continue to disappear.

Also, with regard to co-productions, the government's relaxing of restrictions would allow Indian technicians and artistes to work with their Pakistani counterparts leading to improvement in the existing quality of Pakistani film production.

The government must address these issues or else we will be heading for a cinema culture led and dominated by DVDs and satellite/cable television, and this will kill the traditional cinema business in Pakistan.

For these reasons, I genuinely and firmly believe that the government should act to deregulate and liberalize the Pakistani film industry as a matter of urgency.

source: http://www.dawn.com/weekly/images/images4.htm

Edited by Farhanas - 09 January 2006 at 8:35am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Pakistani Cinema: Dead or Dying?" in Pakistani Serials forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

saarahkhann

IF-Dazzler

saarahkhann

Posted: 09 January 2006 at 9:27am | IP Logged
i wouldnt support indian actors working in pakistani movies or screening of indian movies in pakistan 'coz then pakistani film indistry will b really dead i think pakistani film makers should concentrate more on the techbnical sides..they should use new camers so that the picture quality should improve 'coz ppl in pakistan want quality that they see in indian movies..

ilovqazi

ilovqazi

Posted: 09 January 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged
pakistani movies r soo vulgar the women look like animals as they dance the whole concept of movie is soooooooo wrong they are not keeping ny recept to the fact that families can't even go and see these movies de to there ater disgusting displayment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP MAKING PAKISTANI MOVIES STICK 2 DRAMAS + MUSIC!!!!!!!!! seriously who watches paki movies????????? no one i think.......................
sorry if i offended nyone trust me i didn't mean tooo

Farhanas

Farhanas

Posted: 09 January 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged

Originally posted by ilovqazi

pakistani movies r soo vulgar

if u r talking about vulgarity do u think indian movies r not vulgar? I must say that if someone start rating the indian movies every movie is going to be rated R, they dont make any movie which is suitable to watch with the whole family even the comedies like Masti & No Entry r not suitable to watch with the family & where we r going to put the movies like Salaam Namastay & Neel n' Nikki???

saarahkhann

IF-Dazzler

saarahkhann

Posted: 09 January 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged
i agree with u Farhana Aunty..indian movies r way more vulgar than Pakistani movies but the point is that its not our culture there shouldnt b any skin show in pakistani movie or drama but we r soo much influenced by western culture that we've forgot our own culture n traditions..if pakistani movies r vulgar thats because producers want viewers to come n see the movie in theater to make money..they r trying to compete with indian movies..y cant they concentrate more on story n quality rather than showing skin?? there was a time when pakistani movies were soo much better than indian movies story wise n acting wise..another drawback is that directors n producers r not educated..they have no formal training in direction wat so ever..to aisey log kaisey achi movies bana saktey hain?? aik baar pakistani film indistry mein koi educated aur sensible director(s) ayen to humarey pass talent ki kami nahin hai..i wish ppl in lollywood realise that n do something to better our industry n stop getting influenced by bollywood they can certainly learn things from them but dont copy them n try to b more creative n do some quality work..n forgod sake change the name from lollywood to something else Angry

koenigbobo

IF-Stunnerz

koenigbobo

IF SUPER ADDICT

Posted: 09 January 2006 at 3:14pm | IP Logged
Confused mainay 1 paki movie dekhii theee us ke baad dobara kabhi dil nhee kiya Confused
or me haan ager indian movies valgarity hotii he too un ki production or direction dono out class hotii hen !! even ab wo bohat jaldii hollywood ke level per jain gen
lekin paki movies me VULAGARITY hotii he had se zyada jo ke apna culture bhol chuke hen or sath me na story hotii ha naa production achii na direction !!!

ilovqazi

ilovqazi

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 3:25am | IP Logged
yeh i get wht ur saying but india isn't a muslim country pakistan is soo they should keep some respect!!!!!!!!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top