Debate Mansion

What is the point of getting married? (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 13

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 3:19am | IP Logged

I thought a marriage is witnessed by the Gods , so it is specially blessed too.LOL

Cohabitation is not so accepted in most Asian countries.

In Singapore living with parents if unmarried is a norm.
Cohabitation is not legally recognized and there are no benefits from the Government.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "What is the point of getting married? (Page 7)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Priya-

Groupbie

Priya-

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:23am | IP Logged
Yes marriage is important because it guarantees you a partner who will be there to support you throughout your life.
He will be the one who will be there for you when you grow old you won't be lonely and you would have someone to care for!

kaafiristani

Groupbie

kaafiristani

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Priya-

Yes marriage is important because it guarantees you a partner who will be there to support you throughout your life.
He will be the one who will be there for you when you grow old you won't be lonely and you would have someone to care for!

A marriage doesn't guarantee you a permanent partner the exceedingly high divorce rates tell otherwise but yes it can help in establishing a foundation.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Priya-Nimmi.

Priya-

Groupbie

Priya-

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kaafiristani

Originally posted by Priya-

A marriage doesn't guarantee you a permanent partner the exceedingly high divorce rates tell otherwise but yes it can help in establishing a foundation.

Yes i do agree that It does not guarantee you a permanent partner i should have mentioned that!
But if your marriage is successful then there is always a point in that
I have seen many of those marriages and i think the couple has gotten the happiness because of them being tied in this relationship 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

kaafiristani

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

^^ A live in  couple decided to have kids .Did not get married. The couple died in a car crash. what happens to the future of the kid who does not have any legal document to support his claim to inheritance? same stability and security as a kid born of wedlock?
If there was nothing going in for legal documents or contracts why do you think the LGBTS are fighting for marriage rights?
even in an organisation people want documents or contracts before they proceed in any partnership. When one intends to go into a partnership for life whats wrong in getting a contract?
If one is committed why shun the contract Confused 

Sweden and some jurisdictions have resolved this issue to a certain extent. Children receive rights and recognition based on biological parentage and not on parents status. After all a child is innocent, why should they be denied anything because society does not accept their parents relationship.

Blue-Ice ji is right. LGBT people are fighting not for marriage "rights" but for marriage "equality". They are fighting against a societal notion that only certain relationships deserve rights and recognition. Yes part of it is because they want the legal protection and rights for their loved ones when something happens.

But "legal" contracts and protections that surround marriage is nothing in comparison to real love and commitment. We see LGBT couples that have been together for fifty, sixty years. They did not have the right to marry, law, society and the entire environment was against them yet they made a commitment and stuck to it.

If LGBT couples make people uncomfortable, think of interracial couples. Until the civil rights movement interracial marriage was illegal in the United States. Despite that white people  in love with blacks and vice versa. Men risked losing their jobs and livelihood, the risk of being beaten up, women risked being ostracized from their families, the risk of being raped for breaking race barriers and still made commitments.

When you cannot even get married and society is trying to break you, but you still make that commitment to someone you love and stick to it through good times and bad, that is something way more meaningful and fulfilling than two people who are obliged to each other by a legal contract.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

U-No-Pooblue-ice

monar

IF-Sizzlerz

monar

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged
Personally I can't think of my or any of my friends' parent unmarried, hence there has to be a point of getting married... else there wouldn't be these many married couple around the world

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged
Most people marry for  love, for companionship, for convenience, for the fulfillment of your physical and sexual needs, or for having children, I still don't think you need to marry to full-fill all those things.  Marriage can make you or break you... and for so marry for the right reasons.  ~ Marry the person who loves you and not the person whom you love!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

blue-ice

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 7:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by monar

Personally I can't think of my or any of my friends' parent unmarried, hence there has to be a point of getting married... else there wouldn't be these many married couple around the world
Most of the marriages in India are arranged marriages...even today its true...how are they supposed to love together when they don't even know eachother...secondly..living together is not considered respectable even today in India...most of the people will be afraid to defy the societal norms...sometime back even love marriages were a taboo and u are talking about living together...
My husband and I have been married for 20 years and I can tell u that its not the marriage that keeps us together...its our committment for each other...we married because I don't know what our conservative society would have done to our parents...had we started living together...I hope u get an idea..Tongue

Post Reply New Post

Go to top