Balika Vadhu
Balika Vadhu

India-Forums

Females, Hysteria and Feminism

woman11 Goldie
woman11
woman11

Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:27pm | IP Logged
With the transformation of Gauri as a psychotic character, who is acting under the influence of her mental trauma rather than rationality, the CVs have invoked a very controversial yet popular concept of the mentally unbalanced woman. Gauri is the second woman shown in BV, after Teepri, to have traits of hysteria and the portrayal of hysterical women are quite common in popular culture. The basic assumption behind this is that women are characteristically less rational, and hence more prone to emotions than argumentative reason. The logic is that a man is mentally stronger than a woman and can handle situations with more rationality than a woman who tend to lose her mental balance more easily. Several feminists have objected against this. I just wanted to share some excerpts from the renowned feminist Elaine Showalter's famous book Hysteria Beyond Freud. The whole book is available online and if you are interested in scholarly reading, you can read the rest . In the meanwhile let me just post some quotes from the book:

1. Throughout its history, of course, hysteria has always been constructed as a "woman's disease," a feminine disorder, or a disturbance of femininity, but this construction has usually been hostile. Hysteria has been linked with women in a number of unflattering ways. Doctors have tended to favor arguments from biology that link hysteria with femaleness: "Women are prone to hysteria because of something fundamental in their nature,

2. Until recently, stories about hysteria were told by men, and women were always the victims in these stories rather than the heroines. In the past few decades, however, the story of hysteria has been told by women historians as well as by male doctors and psychoanalysts. They have argued that hysteria is caused by women's oppressive social roles rather than by their bodies or psyches, and they have sought its sources in cultural myths of femininity and in male domination.

3. We need to see how hysteria in men has always been regarded as a shameful, "effeminate" disorder. In many early studies the male hysteric was assumed to be unmanly, womanish, or homosexual, as if the feminine component within masculinity were itself a symptom of disease.The prejudices and stereotypes Batault protested at the Salptrire are alive and well in the twentieth century. "One gets the impression," an analyst notes, "that a male hysteric is one who behaves 'like a woman.'"

4.  In general, Victorian doctors saw hysteria as a disorder of female adolescence, caused both by the establishment of the menses and by the development of sexual feelings that could have no outlet or catharsis.

5. Despite their sympathy for the plight of Victorian girls, Victorian doctors found their hysterical patients selfish, deceitful, and manipulative. Henry Maudsley denounced the "moral perversion" of hysterical young women.

Showalter obviously negates these cultural assumptions and critiques the popular social concept. It's interesting that rarely do we see a mentally unbalanced male as the central character in a film or serial and his actions becoming the issue of contention. Psychosis and the female identity seem to go together pretty well in popular conception. Angry

Edited by woman11 - 01 July 2011 at 1:42pm

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

Serial-Addictsree.mhookedhpppppvivacious_priyapjyoankit111Rach-dcnami2811Suchi-intruderfasttiny15VasusenaRadheya

intruderfast IF-Sizzlerz
intruderfast
intruderfast

Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:35pm | IP Logged

ek baat kahoon mujhe lagta hain hum kuch jyaada hi exaggerate kar rahe hainLOLLOL

baat kaa bahut bada matlab nikal raha hainLOLLOLmana she is confused but iss baat ke liye treatment and all, treatment se uska jagya ke liye pyaar toh nahin jaayega naaLOL
Rach-dc IF-Rockerz
Rach-dc
Rach-dc

Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by intruderfast

ek baat kahoon mujhe lagta hain hum kuch jyaada hi exaggerate kar rahe hainLOLLOL

baat kaa bahut bada matlab nikal raha hainLOLLOLmana she is confused but iss baat ke liye treatment and all, treatment se uska jagya ke liye pyaar toh nahin jaayega naaLOL

welll thats the deal Anmol. The argument here is that JaGo marriage did not root from love. For Jagat it was the city life getting to his head and for Gauri it was about Singh pariwar's acceptance obsession. I havent watched it yet but if Gauri said that she wouldnt have married him knowing he was already married, if he was not her balvar then there is no love there rt?

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

divyababuSerial-Addictsree.mvivacious_priyaankit111tiny15Suchi-VasusenaRadheya

woman11 Goldie
woman11
woman11

Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:39pm | IP Logged
anmol, I am not talking about Gauri here. Yes, I do believe Gauri is psychotic and she needs counselling. There's no denying of the fact that she is acting under the influence of a psychological trauma.

But the point of this post is not that. Women have historically been associated with mental illness in all cultures, and feminists call it a patriarchal misrepresentation. That's what I wanted to bring up Tongue. I am not targeting Gauri, in fact I am critiquing how CVs keep churning out mentally unbalanced women one after another.

Edited by woman11 - 01 July 2011 at 1:44pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Serial-AddictambodidiSuchi-tiny15VasusenaRadheya

Suchi- IF-Sizzlerz
Suchi-
Suchi-

Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
Yes very intersting article there Anthara !

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

woman11VasusenaRadheya

intruderfast IF-Sizzlerz
intruderfast
intruderfast

Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rach1

welll thats the deal Anmol. The argument here is that JaGo marriage did not root from love. For Jagat it was the city life getting to his head and for Gauri it was about Singh pariwar's acceptance obsession. I havent watched it yet but if Gauri said that she wouldnt have married him knowing he was already married, if he was not her balvar then there is no love there rt?
marriage and love r two diff things , i believe she would have always loved jagya even if she had disagreed to the marriage, forget what g says to others
for me what matters most is what they say to each other , they always say ilu to each other
so mere liye wahin baat khatam they both love each other
sometimes i really feel woman 11 , u should not do such analysisLOL, the cvs might take it and split them which i dont wantTongue

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Suchi-

woman11 Goldie
woman11
woman11

Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Rach1

marriage and love r two diff things , i believe she would have always loved jagya even if she had disagreed to the marriage, forget what g says to others
for me what matters most is what they say to each other , they always say ilu to each other
so mere liye wahin baat khatam they both love each other
sometimes i really feel woman 11 , u should not do such analysisLOL, the cvs might take it and split them which i dont wantTongue

It's not my analysis, it's Elaine Showalter's . And yes, I would be glad if the CVs read this post. At least they will stop portraying female characters as mentally ill over and over again------pehle Teepri, ab Gauri, pata nahi aage kaun hai.AngryAngry It's a gross patriarchal misconception that women are by nature irrational and hence become easily hysterical.
I will be more than happy to see the NORMAL, sensible Gauri returning to her self rather than see a trauma patient.

Edited by woman11 - 01 July 2011 at 1:49pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

spatty123Serial-Addictintruderfasttiny15Suchi-

Rach-dc IF-Rockerz
Rach-dc
Rach-dc

Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged
I think it will  be fantastic to show that Gauri is mentally imbalanced from the childhood trauma from her balvivah and rejection. Saw a post from Vasuja in another thread about how this should shape up. Gauri getting treated as a result realising what a big mistake she committed in marrying Jagat and leaving him. She should continue building her life away from all this. Anandi should divorce Jagat and study reach some high position and work for the uplift of village women. Jagat should live the rest of his life in guilt alone. What better way to show how the three lives got destroyed by balvivah - perfect message I think.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Serial-Addictsree.mvasujatiny15Suchi-VasusenaRadheya

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index