Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: rahmona_pakswe

I have no idea how others do but me who wears a hijab and also cover my body with a coat simply avoid a job where I'm forced to take it off. I choose my religion over the job and that's a sacrifice I'm ready to make. This doesn't mean everyone should do it. It's only my personal choice.

Coming to the question of religious freedom at work. Of course there should be however I don't think it's possible to work for example as a lawyer or a doctor wearing a burqa. There are certain jobs where you simply need to see the face.

Exactly...Freedom is the key word here...when we live in a secular country we should have the freedom to make choices...the way that a hijaab wearing women has the choice to reject employment in a company that would not allow her to wear one...the same way a private company should have the choice to not their employees wear a head dress if the same goes against tghe image of the company...like RTH said it has to be determined if they did that just in case of that particular women or they really do not allow any kind of head dress...
Even when it comes to making exceptions for the physically handicapped ..the law says that it has to be REASONABLE...which means that no company has to go out of its way to make such an exception...I guess that same should go for religion too..
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Summer3

Hijabs are fine. No one should complain.

Summerji...I am not able to decide..if the hijaab is prettier or the girl is prettier...😆
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Summerji...I am not able to decide..if the hijaab is prettier or the girl is prettier...😆

Hmmm I think packaging helps but more important is character n personality too.
If they behave like a XXX then all is ruined.
It is all in the culture.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
First of all, I don't understand why people immediately bring up the face covering issue since a hijab is just a head covering. Why a hijaabi girl would want to work at a place like Abercrombie, I do not know. However, I think the problem here is that the company hired her knowing she wore a head scarf and then later fired her for wearing it or not taking it off as requested. It would be one thing to offer her employment with the dress code regulations that do not permit head coverings and leave that choice to choose religion over employment (or vice versa) up to her. But I think the problem is that not each branch/manager enforces the regulations at the same level and later realizes that they should, which leads to trouble like this.

Companies are also free to decide what will or will not be permitted in their dress code (without even providing an explanation for it) - but this dress code should be clearly described to potential employees. Hiring and then firing is not reasonable.
*king* thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
As a police force you should be as friendly as possible. People may be more compfortable when knowing who they are speaking to than someone who is covered head to toe. Also if someone wants to work wearing a burqa covering every inch of their body its better to work where there is no direct interaction eg., a call center.

PS: Nice to see the king's old riends here @ Summer and Woh Ajnabee

*king*
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: *king*

As a police force you should be as friendly as possible. People may be more compfortable when knowing who they are speaking to than someone who is covered head to toe. Also if someone wants to work wearing a burqa covering every inch of their body its better to work where there is no direct interaction eg., a call center.

PS: Nice to see the king's old riends here @ Summer and Woh Ajnabee

*king*

Jai Maharaj ji.

These days there should be more tolerance and reasonableness.
Even Sikhs wear a head gear and no one complains.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

Hiring and then firing is not reasonable.

On the contrary you cannot fire unless you first hire.😛