Posted: 28 June 2011 at 2:19am | IP Logged
| OM SAI RAM |
The Vishnu Sahasranama, is a stotra containing the 1000 names of Lord Vishnu, also called as Vishnu Sahasranamavali.During the interaction between Yudhisthira and Bheeshma, it was revealed by Pitamaha Bheeshma.
Yudhishthira asked Bheeshma :
kimekam daivatam loke kim vapyekam paraya?am
stuvanta? kam kamarcanta? prapnuyurmanava? subham ko dharma? sarva dharma?am bhavata? paramo mata?
kim japan mucyate jantu? janmasamsarabandhanat
English Translation : In this universe who is the one Deva of all? (i.e., at whose command all beings function?, or who is God of all?) Who is the one greatest refuge for all? Who is the one Divinity by praising and by worshipping whom a man attains good? Which according to you is that highest form of Dharma (capable of bestowing salvation and prosperity on man)? What is that by uttering or reciting which any living being can attain freedom from cycle of births and deaths?
Whereupon Bheeshma answeredby saying that mankind will be free from all sorrows by chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama, which are the thousand names of the all pervading Supreme Being Vishnu, who is the Master of all the worlds, the Supreme Light, the essence of the universe,and who is Brahman.All matter, animate and inanimate reside in Him, and He in turn resides in all matter.
Benefits of chanting Vishnu Sahasranama:
- "That man who with devotion and perseverance and heart wholly turned towards him, recites these thousand names of Vasudeva every day, after having purified himself, succeeds in acquiring great fame, a position of eminence among his kinsmen, enduring prosperity, and lastly, that which is of the highest benefit to him (viz., emancipation Moksha itself). Such a man never meets with fear at any time, and acquires great prowess and energy. Disease never afflicts him; splendour of complexion, strength, beauty, and accomplishments become his. The sick become hale, the afflicted become freed from their afflictions; the frightened become freed from fear, and he that is plunged in calamity becomes freed from calamity."
- The man who hymns the praises of that foremost of Beings by reciting His thousand names with devotion succeeds in quickly crossing all difficulties. That mortal who takes refuge in Vasudeva and who becomes devoted to Him, becomes freed of all sins and attains to eternal Brahman. They who are devoted to Vasudeva have never to encounter any evil. They become freed from the fear of birth, death, decrepitude, and disease."
- I would like to tell you all an incident, which was told to me by my mother.In coastal Karnataka, there is a highway, named National Highway no.48, which connects Goa to Mangalore, and then further goes to Kerala.There are many towns and cities on the route of this national highway.Also there are many wondrous beaches.One of the beaches is Maravanthe Beach.It is mind-boggling beach.The highway road passes alongside the sea.On one side is the sea, and on the other side is a river called Suvarnanakha.A very beautiful sight, as the road is sandwiched between the river and the seashore.
- On the left side is seen the Suvarnanakha river, and on the right side is the Arabian Sea.In the middle is the National Highway No.48.I have passed through this highway, and I have seen this beach many times.
- Well some years ago, this highway was in danger of getting submerged under the sea.If the highway would have gone under the seawater, it would have been difficult to build a new easy road.
- A noted scholar, and well versed pandit, whose name I cannot recall now, assembled a group of men,to save the road.They all sat near the seashore,on the sands, and at 6 pm at evening, started chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama, in chorus.They started reciting the Vishnu Sahasranama together,at 6 pm in evening, for many days.And Wonder of the wonders ! The sea started going back !!! Such was the power of Vishnu Sahasranama, that even the sea was forced to go back !! This highway was saved because of this only.
- Today, all those group members who had participated in the chanting, recite the Vishnu Sahasranama at their respective homes.The power and collective recital of the Vishnu Sahasranama, has thus; very high power.
- So, all of you should recite the Vishnu Sahasranama, every evening.Its easily available in the market.
- I am posting the link of the Vishnu Sahasranama, here:
Thanks for reading the post.Jai Sai Ram.
Shri Ram Jai Ram | Jai Jai Ram |
Edited by nivren - 28 June 2011 at 2:23am