Debate Mansion

Is it right to talk back to parents? (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 5

Page 1 Page 4
Page   of 5

bila_a

Goldie

bila_a

Posted: 18 October 2011 at 5:17am | IP Logged
it's life but i got a taste of my own medicine, when my parents are at work, i'm responsible for everything. so i ask my brother nicely to go and vaccum the floor before mum and dad come home, he said he will do it later, i don't know why but i really wanted him to do it now, so i said it again and he still didn't listen. and this seriously made me get annoyed. just imagine when you tell someone whether it may be your friends or siblings to do something and they don't, how does that make you feel especially if they give you attitude and tell you what to do.

i don't think parents in this case are trying to make you something your not, i think they just want things to get done. i know i wasn't trying to change my brother in to something his not. we should put ourselves in our parents position, in this case put yourself in your mums position and see if you like it or not. btw i'm 16. i can totally understand the feeling of parents especially mums getting angry over nothing and think your talking back at them all the time. parents don't like being told what to do and how to act especially over stuff like chores. telling your mum not to make faces may have provoked her more as, most likely she may have thought, your not my mum, don't tell what to do. i don't know if you gave attitude to your mum, but thats the one thing they don't like, it shows that you don't respect them or care what they want or think, especially over trivial things

Edited by bila_a - 18 October 2011 at 5:23am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

lunza

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is it right to talk back to parents? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 01 November 2011 at 5:32am | IP Logged
See in this situation, what matters is how you said those words, and what kind of words you used. Since I wasn't actually present in the situation I can't be a judge as to whether you talked back or not, but speaking from personal experience I can say that I am very conflicted over this issue as well

In my family, hardly anyone ever refuses what my Dad says, and while this frustrates me to no end, we usually have to accept it. However when we have arguments, and I am genuinely confused about what points my parents are making, or if it conflicts my own morals, then they scream at my for talking back. Hell it even results in some nasty fights.

So what I am confused with is, should we not stand up for what we believe in? Should we squash our morals and beliefs to do what our parents think is right? 

Edited by sweetdamage - 01 November 2011 at 5:32am

shikha_bhargava

Groupbie

shikha_bhargava

Posted: 01 November 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by heroin.

I had a fight with my mom recently and it left me thinking - 1) Why do parents get so mad at 'talking back'?, 2) Do you think kids should never talk back?

Basically, we were both very tired. She asked me to do some chore and I said I'll do it later. She got annoyed and started making faces. I was in no mood to talk it out with her so I just told her that there was no need to make faces. She exploded in my face and started yelling for no reason. I tried explaining in a calm manner but she wouldn't listen. She said some hurtful things and when it got too much, I told her not to cross the line.

But when we tried to talk about it the next day, she kept saying 'you were talking back', when I wasn't, I was just explaining calmly. So I don't understand, why do parents get so annoyed even when you just open your mouth?

Opinions needed. 

solution: see i can understand your situation...always keep this thought in your mind..our mother and father will never do such things which would result in hurting their children... but have you tried to thought from her point of view...i dont think a mother would ever make faces when her child just said that he/she will do the house chores later... maybe she was already suffering from some sort of problem thats why she blasted at you ... it might happen that something was already going in her mind that was disturbing her...

see as childrens it's our responsibility too to understand our parents we can'nt always expect our parents to understand us!!!!
and moreover as a child i don't think u must have replied back at her..

see you might be  thinking what all boring talks i do and all LOL but u know i am person doing job staying away from my parents coz i have being posted to a branch in mumbai and they are in delhi... i can understand what the life is without mummy sitting on ur head tht's y i told you

n don't think i am lucky too LOL coz whenever my mother call me she always find some reason to blah blah over me and i keep saying yaa yaa yaa yaa LOLROFL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top