Debate Mansion

Husband's affair drives wife to suicide - Page 2

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago
I agree with Rapier, if the parents know that their son/daughter is in love with someone else but still force a marriage then they should also be held liable. It is illegal to force marriage, but many parents get try to force their kids through emotional blackmail. We need some legal precedents to prevent parents from doing so.

But yes there are really no grounds for dowry death, and that law should not be abused. There are plenty of other grounds for suing and charging for wrongful death though. Adultery, not revealing affair and essentially the guys entire family defrauding the girl into marriage, emotional duress.

Its really pathetic that she chose suicide. Its about time women were stronger and stood up for themselves. There are many better ways to handle such things.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rapier thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: return_to_hades

I agree with Rapier, if the parents know that their son/daughter is in love with someone else but still force a marriage then they should also be held liable. It is illegal to force marriage, but many parents get try to force their kids through emotional blackmail. We need some legal precedents to prevent parents from doing so.

But yes there are really no grounds for dowry death, and that law should not be abused. There are plenty of other grounds for suing and charging for wrongful death though. Adultery, not revealing affair and essentially the guys entire family defrauding the girl into marriage, emotional duress.

Its really pathetic that she chose suicide. Its about time women were stronger and stood up for themselves. There are many better ways to handle such things.

precisely! after reading the article, it seemed as if she blamed herself for the whole thing. even her mother-in-law blamed her for not making the marriage work! no one blames the real culprit, the guy! it's just messed up!
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: Rapier

sue his family because the family knew about this affair and had persuaded the dude to marry some other girl according to their wishes, and because, according to the girl's diary, they wanted a cook or whatever. that's why! i still say sue the crap outta them.

Are u guys kidding me?...how old is this boy...16 or 26...the parents were morally wrong if they pressured him but they have ABSOLUTELY no liability for the acts of an adult child...the boy is an adult and he is supposed to know what is right from wrong...unless it can be proved somehow that the girl committed suicide because of them directly the parents cannot be sued...and this is why the dowry act is in play here, because that is the only way to get hold of the parents...
As much as I hate the boy for doing what he did...I am disgusted at the blatant abuse of the dowry law which is supposed to be used for the real victims ...

MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Extra-marital affairs are illegal, and the boy should be punished. As such, there is nothing mentioned about the boy's parents threatening the girl for dowry, or making her life hell because her Father could not provide enough dowry, so saying that dowry is the reason for her death is lame. She killed herself because her so-called husband loved someone else, and she couldn't get him to love her (?)!

And also, sorry for being judgmental about a dead person, but what was this girl exactly!? She sounds like that typical saas-bahu soap heroine who keeps blaming herself for every wrong that has happened, and doesn't even have the courage to stand up for herself, and just walk out of the marriage! She shouldn't have to bear her husband's nakhraas. Wish she had set a deadline to their marriage instead. Agreed she didn't get a job she tried for, but is it the end? There could have been so many other opportunities! And all the while she kept claiming nobody was thinking about her, but well, what were her parents doing when she mentioned that they were sad?! Now she has made all of them even more sad..

And I agree, her parents are abusing this dowry law..it's not right. But the boy deserves to be punished on other moral grounds, and so do his parents. What a terrible world! :( Poor girl, I feel sad for her, but she could have handled this in a better way. May God bless her soul...

Parents often coerce their children to marry using various blackmail methods. Which kid would have the strength to make their own choices – if doing so meant parents being melodramatic and blaming it on the kids. Our sub-continental society is structured in such a way that parents often have a lot of emotional/social command over their kids. Parents continue to use this to force marriages, and every now and then it leads to unfortunate circumstances with people stuck in horrifying marriages. We need to put some legal recourses in place to send the message that such practices will have harsh consequences. Only then can long term change come through.

Yes, adults are capable of making their own decisions. They can say no or complain to authorities. That is why even if an adult is coerced into a crime they face charges for accessory, and the sentencing is circumstantial. Even if an adult does not explicitly participate, they are often held liable for failing to report and prevent a crime. In this case the son could have refused to marry or sought assistance to avoid duress. The least he could have done is inform the girl and her family that he is in love with someone else or had a friend do it. No one is denying that he should be held liable as well.

Whose idea was it to get their son married, despite him being not interested?

The parents, they are the mastermind.

Who arranged the marriage with the girl's parents?

The parents, they planned everything.

Who hid the from the girl's family that their son is in a relationship with another woman?

The parents, they withheld important information?

Who was emotionally coerced into a marriage?

The son, he will be liable as an accomplice.

Who did not inform authorities of a forced marriage right way?

The son, he will be is liable for preventing a crime from taking place.

Who did not inform the girl and her family of his relationship?

The son, in fact technically marriage means each spouse is expected to disclose any previous history and withholding of past relationships can be considered as breach of trust and grounds for divorce or annulment depending on situation and jurisdiction.

So both the son and his parents ought to be criminally liable.

However, I think that it is a lame abuse of dowry laws in this case. The dowry laws are in place for women who actually face substantial abuse over dowry demands. This is clearly not the case here. While the girl was victimized and emotionally hurt, she was never substantially abused for dowry and the girl's parents are abusing a law.

Personally, I think even though dowry laws are in good intent and for good measure – they have hit a point where they are failing and being abused by the wrong people instead of helping real dowry victims. I think existing laws need to be scrapped and replaced with a comprehensive and gender neutral domestic abuse and domestic violence laws. These laws should range from protecting spouses and families in case of forced marriage to actual physical abuse, as well as statutes for intentionally filing false charges. Anyone can be victims as families sometimes try to trap NRI or foreign educated spouses for their kids, or try and find ways to rip off well to do families – and both genders and both sides need fair legal protection.

Finally, I have to reiterate a failed marriage or cheating spouse is not the end of the world. Especially if you did everything right on your part – there is nothing to be ashamed or battered over. You have legal options to get your life together, and if you are educated with family support there is no excuse to give up with a wimpy suicide. Yes, it hurts when you love someone and they cheat on you – but I hope that every woman who cries and wails over cheating spouses and contemplates suicide pauses for a moment to think of women across the world who actually survive and fight through things like getting beaten and/or raped by their own husbands on a regular basis – often times they fight and survive without anyone there for them. The least any woman can do out of respect for women across the world is at least survive if incapable of standing up and fighting.

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Tragic yes but too melodramatic. Stand up, walk out.
blue-ice. thumbnail
Cheating on a spouse has not been established as a crime yet...
Cheating is morally wrong but not a crime hence not punishable by law...hence the parents cannot be held liable for their son's action...the wife had the option of walking out...marriage does not bind one to stay with an asshole husband...he was not worth her life...he is a low life worm and she gave up her life for him??...I hope that karma comes back to bite him..

If cheating was a crime half the men would be behind bars...
Edited by blue-ice - 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: blue-ice

Cheating is morally wrong but not a crime hence not punishable by law...hence the parents cannot be held liable for their son's action...the wife had the option of walking out...marriage does not bind one to stay with an asshole husband...he was not worth her life...he is a low life worm and she gave up his life for him??...I hope that karma comes back to bite him..

If cheating was a crime half the men would be behind bars...

There is a difference between cheating and adultery. Marriage comes with several legal protections and spousal privileges. Depending on jurisdiction adultery can be "criminal". Adultery is still illegal and liable for "civil suits" and as a "sub charge" in a criminal case with multiple charges.

This would be a whole different story if there had been no marriage legal, social and religious taking place.
blue-ice. thumbnail
^^...yes adultery is illegal and does create grounds for divorce...but anything happening beyond that is very very rare...like I said in one of my previous post that there are different laws and one can even sue the person with whom ur spouse is cheating...depends on where the person is located..
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: blue-ice

cheating is such a harsh word,use "outsourced sexlife" 😛

Cheating is morally wrong but not a crime hence not punishable by law...hence the parents cannot be held liable for their son's action...the wife had the option of walking out...marriage does not bind one to stay with an asshole husband...he was not worth her life...he is a low life worm and she gave up her life for him??...I hope that karma comes back to bite him..

If cheating was a crime half the men would be behind bars...  Aisa hey tho balance 50% Sati-savitriiyo ki halat kya hogii😉

Agree, people do cheating...and men are better at cheating bt women are better at hiding cheating!😕
Edited by Believe - 12 years ago