kaleidoscope thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
Introvert who plays flirt !

BY VICKEY LALWANI

He is sly, he's brash. He's a party animal, he's a Casanova.God knows how many girls he's going around with. And how can we forget that he even tried drugs? On screen, of course.

Frankly, it was a surprise to see him getting the 'Best Devar' award at the Star Parivaar nite. How can the Best Devar impregnate a girl and live-in with her sister? Pat comes the defense. "Still, there's something loveable about Rishi. That's why you are here, aren't you?" Can we argue?

A hardcore Mumbaiite, Shabbir Ahluwalia, Rishi of Kahiin To Hoga to his several fans, would have been a great sportsman if not an actor. He's played soccer for Bombay University, baseball at the national level. "I also used to play a lot of cricket. But now, there is no time for sport," laments Shabbir. His day, nevertheless, still starts with a game of squash or badminton followed by a swim, "if I have not had a very late night shoot."

"Some girls come up and say,'serial mein to bahut sexy bante ho,asal mein kya ho jata hai tumko?
That can be very embarrassing
"

Lounging in a casual tee and jeans at a suburban Cafe Coffee Day on a lazy Sunday afternoon, he orders a cold coffee. While I'm still dithering between a latte and a mocha, he takes us by surprise, saying, "I know what you want to know. Is the real Rishi as flamboyant and naughty as the reel one?" Bingo! But those twinkling eyes are loath to reveal more. "That's for you to guess. I am not here to disclose everything about myself," he shoots back laughingly.

One more sip into the cold beverage, the youngest sibling of an ex-army personnel says, "Believe it or not, I am a very shy and reticent guy. No girlfriends, no bikes, no parties. I would rather spend my free time with my parents or catch up on some film on DVD."

Apparently having noticed my wide eyed expression, he grins. "It's just a role that I am playing. Ekta Kapoor does not flesh out characters whose personal life matches the requirements of her script."

But he plays it so convincingly, especially the sly smile, the shake of the head, the mischievous glint in the eye. He outdid himself when he disguised himself as Mrs Braganza (the track which was meant to be a two-day affair was extended to 15 days, the soaring TRPs having taken the call!).

"That's simply acting, yaar. I knew I had to leave some impression with this role, else I would have ended up as an also-ran," he explains. Sour memories of the abrupt end to his character in Kyunki....? For those with a memory that needs jostling, he played Suhasini's son, Aniket.

"Rishi will continue being Rishi. Does a man ever change?"

He elaborates, "You tend to forget that I don't have the same mannerisms in Kahaani... where I (Soumil) am diametrically the opposite of Rishi. I have been lucky. Soumil is this very nice, sophisticated, enterprising guy... He's got values, he is a good businessman- someone who every father would want his daughter married to. Again, I am not exactly like Soumil.''
Digested.

But we can't digest the fact that such a handsome hunk does not have a girlfriend, or rather, girlfriends.

He again laughs and it's some time till he can talkโ€ฆ "Again my character is doing the trick. Believe me, I strongly believe in the institution of marriage. I will fall in love only when I have marriage in mind. And I abhor the casual attitude of today's youngsters who change partners with every season. Casual sex and live-in relationships are not my cup of tea," he points out. Phew!

Go on, tell us you don't even get any messages and calls too, huh Rishi, err, Shabbir?

Pat comes the reply. "Did I say that? Of course I do," he straightens up. "Actually, I receive umpteen messages and calls from girls who say that they want to go out with me, blah, blah, blah," and he blushes, but quickly recovers, "But I cut them short. It may sound rude, but I can't misuse my popularity.'"

Is Shabbir less popular with females than his counterpart Rajeev Khandelwal (Sujal)? "I don't know how many messages Rajeev gets every day, but I know for sure that I am a very contented soul today. Being popular with females when you play negative roles is not easy. Think of it, I am enjoying the incentive. Thank God no female knows my email id as yet. Else my mailbox would have been spammed," he winks.

Films? "Yes. I am talking to a filmmaker who wants me in the lead, essaying a very crazy character. I hope it works out, so that I can go ahead and adjust my dates," but quickly adds, "I will never stop being Rishi till Kahiin To Hoga ends. Even if I get a plum offer in Bollywood, I will adjust my dates and balance both."

The guy who does not mess with girls, follows a similar pattern with his directors. "I don't question my director. I don't demand more scenes and dialogues. For me, one scene is enough every day," he says.

Will Rishi who pulls off the role with such style, ease and charm, despite no formal training in acting, ever change? Plainly speaking, will he mend his ways? On date, the chances seem pretty high; last week he wedded Sanjana. He lets us in, ''So what? Sanjana or no Sanjana, Rishi will continue being Rishi. Does a man ever change?"
Point taken, Mr. Incorrigible Flirt.

source: tellychakkar

Edited by chocolate - 19 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Hard Rock thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Good interview choc... thanks

Didnt have time to open the Telly Chakkar website.

Rach thumbnail

No matter what Rishi acts well. No doubt about it..

In this interview he says that I am an introvert but in a episode of 'pardey k peeche' he and kashish also says that he is just like the way he is in the serial...

God knows but I like him as Rishi because He is too Good....

sweety1 thumbnail
Rishi is damn good but i dont like his acting and his attitude ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ‘
milkyway thumbnail
Ahhhhhhhhh............. This one is much better๐Ÿ˜›
sweety1 thumbnail
Huh!Rishi u r so hot and sexy.u r like a spicy guy.i loke u
sweety1 thumbnail
hey Rishi,,,,,u r a nice i like ur acting u r so hott