Balika Vadhu
Balika Vadhu

India-Forums

Child Marriage Laws: The Flip Side (Page 4)

vaibhi24 Newbie
vaibhi24
vaibhi24

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 3:43am | IP Logged
niharika_n, jagya can claims his right on the property if this property comes from their ancestors. On ancestral property one can claims his/her right in the court. but if this property is earned by Bhairav then only bhairav can decide whom to give his property by his will. 
Blukitten IF-Sizzlerz
Blukitten
Blukitten

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 4:32am | IP Logged
vaibhi24 as far as I remember Dadisa had left her home after her husband's death...she escaped with her 2 sons basant and bhairav and established her life frm scratch...so we can assume tht their property is self made with the contribution of Basant and Bhairav.
We cant call it ancestral property.It belongs to only Bhairov and Basant.So bhairav can easily discredit him.
Now if his dadisa melts and decides to give him his share thts a diffferent issue but legally he can claim his right only on his dadisa and his grandfather's property.

Edited by niharika_n - 03 June 2011 at 4:33am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

tiny15Suchi-

hooked IF-Dazzler
hooked
hooked

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged
National Geographic's current issue has a big story on Child brides in Yemen and India - particularly Rajasthan. 

It has many many more such sad but true stories. I am only glad that they specify in India, even though marriage happens early - the girl does not cohabit before she is in her teens (which too is not suffieicent but at least its not child rape like in Yemen)

I think it is right of the Cv's to portray a character like Jagya - coz currently our society (atleast in the village) gives him the right to go ahead and get what he wants and discard what/whoever he doesn't without any problems. We don't have to like it - but we have no business to not accept that there are and will be characters like him. 

Hence it is important to focus on make a proper legal recourse for women who find themselves in a Anandi like situation. The law should acknowledge that a couple had an illegal marriage and now she is a victim. How can the law just pretend to ignore the facts and do nothing for the victim ? 

Am finding the Ga-ga pro-Anandi battle very juvenile. Guys -  peace !!!
Whether 2 people look good together on screen or have a great chemistry is not the point  - neither is whether one is feeling suffocated in a relationship not of their choice. What is important is to be fair and honest and clean in your dealings. U don't like your current status - call it off legally. Accept that your change of heart might make a serious difference to the other party, emotionally and financially, and make sure they are taken care of. Then go and do what u want. 

I seriously hope the Cv's are planning to show Anandi try to do something legally to provide for girls in a sad situation due to child marriages - those who are widowed and those who are discarded. That will be an excellent move IMO.

Edited by hooked - 03 June 2011 at 6:00am

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

Serial-AddictBIaddictandvwoman11vivacious_priyasmartctiny15Suchi-khusi_*

tiny15 IF-Sizzlerz
tiny15
tiny15

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 6:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hooked

National Geographic's current issue has a big story on Child brides in Yemen and India - particularly Rajasthan. 

It has many many more such sad but true stories. I am only glad that they specify in India, even though marriage happens early - the girl does not cohabit before she is in her teens (which too is not suffieicent but at least its not child rape like in Yemen)

I think it is right of the Cv's to portray a character like Jagya - coz currently our society (atleast in the village) gives him the right to go ahead and get what he wants and discard what/whoever he doesn't without any problems. We don't have to like it - but we have no business to not accept that there are and will be characters like him. 

Hence it is important to focus on make a proper legal recourse for women who find themselves in a Anandi like situation. The law should acknowledge that a couple had an illegal marriage and now she is a victim. How can the law just pretend to ignore the facts and do nothing for the victim ? 

Whether 2 people look good together on screen or have a great chemistry is not the point  - neither is whether one is feeling suffocated in a relationship not of their choice. What is important is to be fair and honest and clean in your dealings. U don't like your current status - call it off legally. Accept that your change of heart might make a serious difference to the other party, emotionally and financially, and make sure they are taken care of. Then go and do what u want. 

I seriously hope the Cv's are planning to show Anandi try to do something legally to provide for girls in a sad situation due to child marriages - those who are widowed and those who are discarded. That will be an excellent move IMO.

well said!!Clap
@bold exactly!! i m also saying that point is not abt on-screen chemistry or jagia & gauri as victims or abt so-called luv. but its only abt honesty & fairness. just bcoz u think u've found the luv & ur child marriage as forced1 doesn't absolve of u from ur responsibilities 2wards a prsn who'd done so much 4 u.

@aditiji though its quite possible familarity may lead 2 gud marital life thinking it as luv but here in jagia's case its totally infatuation 4 gauri as he got changed only after meeting gauri & that 2 in the 1st yr. itself & wen he started comparing anandi wid gauri in terms of educn!! so i don't agree wid u abt jagia's luv 4 anandi is just the extension of familarity & u can't absolve him of his responsiblities & sins he'd done 2wards both anandi & gauri till gauri was unaware of marriage!!SleepySleepy
  i'd seen one of my known boy & gal breaking their relations after 6 or 8 yrs.& they started dating from the class 8thy till their college life & they were also thinking that it was luv like jagia & gauri r thinking but that was not luv but infatuation & attraction!!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

BIaddict

woman11 Goldie
woman11
woman11

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 8:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hooked

Very well said. The point is not about whether Jagya looks good with Anandi or whether he finds Gauri more suitable. Jagya's compatibility with a partner is a completely different issue and thus people have differing opinions--most of which are based on people's personal preferences for the actors and their chemistry. I guess people can never agree on this one

But in this war of choices please do not forget the point of exploitation of these child brides.  Can the law just turn blind to the abandoned child brides calling their marriage as illegal and providing no legal security for them? Can we--as educated, privileged, probably affluent people-- ignore the plight of the abandoned child wife just to support the question of choice? These child wives are left in a worse condition than even other adult abandoned wives, because even the law doesn't recognize their marriages!

Anandi is extremely lucky to have such in laws but how many abandoned brides get a supporting family, financial security, a chance to study, to rebuild their lives? Even remarriage is not as easy as it seems--a woman consummated is considered to be 'joothan' in rural India and hardly anyone will be willing to marry a woman who is not a virgin. People like Shyam are mostly available only in the serials but people like Jagya abound in real life.

It's much easy for the man to move out of a marriage but the women need legal-financial-social support to restart their lives. Shouldn't the husband be held responsible--like in any other marriage---for recognizing the rights of his wife legally? Men who divorce their wives in normal marriages still need to assume some responsibility, then why should the husband in this case be allowed to walk out of the marriage so smoothly just because this was a child marriage?  I can understand nullifying the marriage instantly when both the bride and the groom are children--in that case it's not the husband but their respective families who should be responsible--, but in case of adults nullifying their marriage in childhood after physical consummation and staying in the relationship as adults, the wife should be granted all the legal rights that are allowed in any other adult marriages.

The actors and characters represent people from the real life. Let us not forget the real life issues in our personal preference for the actors or characters.

Edited by woman11 - 03 June 2011 at 8:26am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Serial-Addictvivacious_priyahookedsmartctiny15Suchi-

vivacious_priya IF-Dazzler
vivacious_priya
vivacious_priya

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 8:19am | IP Logged
@ woman 11 i completely agree wid u!!!
most of d woman suffering from child marriage dont get so nice  in laws

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Suchi-

andv Goldie
andv
andv

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 8:46am | IP Logged
@woman11: its really sad that they are not seriously thinking of revising the laws. I agree that it would in a way be supporting child marriages but if the Govt cannot stop people performing these heinous acts, they have a moral responsibility to protect the girls who suffer in such relationships. After all it is not the kid's fault but the parents are responsible for it. Why should these innocent children bear the repercussions of their parents deeds.

Now about the serial. I did not want to really discuss the serial in this thread since it was related more to real life incidents and I did not want the message that you were trying to convey be diluted with the serial discussions. Anyway since the serial has also been discussed here, I would like to add that, I also agree that J is a victim of child marriage just like A and G. My main problem is his arrogant behaviour and the way he tackled the situation being disrespectful to his family, his wife and even G (by hiding the truth). For me his right to choose was overshadowed by all his acts. I initially was not sure if he was in love with A before he met G. But in one of the articles, the writer of the show has mentioned that J has fallen out of love with A which is a common problem among child marriages. Since this story is his creation, I am going to go with what he said that J has fallen out of love with her. The chemistry between actors are not what convinces me whether the characters they portray actually love each other or not, coz that would be biased on their acting skills.

I am also open to accepting that J fell out of love with A, but the problem that I have with this whole story is that he lied and hid everything for whole 5 years from both A and G. He did that only to meet his needs and also coz he had no guts to face either of the girls. Moreover he goes ahead and insults everyone who he has had a relationship with since childhood including A who was a very good friend and wife to him. He has no business to call her gawar and treat her with so much of inhumanity. Why A did not retaliate? Being a city girl myself, if I was in her situation my husband would have been set right long time back. But I don't know the mentality of a simple village girl. If they are not even allowed to talk in front of the men folk, I think A has done atleast something to her credit. I am also ready to accept that though a change needs to be brought about in woman's staus in rutal areas, it is not going to happen overnight. it has to take place gradually and I guess that's the reason they have portrayed A character like that. As a kid she was more intuitive but now she is not. Wouldn't that be a result of her conditioning as she grew up? Where do we see a rural lady from a very conservative society go revolt overnight? I also believe that the CVs want to convey a message through this show and hence they have tried to show reality when it goes to J character or A character. About G I adore her strength to be able to reach where she is today inspite of all that she went through. Right now the only problem I have with her is that she is doing exactly the opposite of what she strongly believes or is against.  She is not tied to any relationship and is also educated and shown to be open minded. I had expected much much more from her.

Sorry guys for the long post

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Serial-Addictavyarimahookedsmartctiny15Suchi-

Artemisia Channel Moderator
Artemisia
Artemisia

Posted: 03 June 2011 at 3:37pm | IP Logged
wow when i read this post, especially the one about the little child it was heart wrenching.  i have a 7 year old neice and it just shocking to think there is a kid out  there the same age as her with this happening.  what sort of reasons cought the family have to justify this marriage, it doesnt seem comprehensible

there are so many issues that are shown in this serial and i hope they do.not digress just for tv viewership that would not be right i dont think.  the story of anandi is quite unique i think because she is very lucky to have the family that she has in realdity i dont think her in laws would be so tolerant or nice towards her

thank you for posting this article.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Serial-AddictBIaddictsmartc

Go to top