Mythological Masti

Ramayan of Krittivas Ojha: a study *New updt pg 11 (Page 13)

Post Reply New Post

Page 13 of 13

Page 1 Page 12
Page   of 13

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 05 November 2012 at 2:02am | IP Logged
Varaali

I have a book, but it's written in a 14th century dialect which is really hard to follow (aside from the fact that my reading of Bengali is regrettably not fluent at all).  As a kid, I once had a part of it - 'Mahiravan vadh' as one of the poems in my ICSE Bengali syllabus.  I have on occasion opened it to specific chapters to see what it describes about something I'm looking for.  However, to do a random search of something w/o knowing where it is would take forever.

One example - in Valmiki, it says - unbelievably - that after Sita went underground w/ Bhoomi Devi and Brahma pacified Rama, he asked him to listen to the remaining part of the Ramayan, and Kush/Luv resumed the recitation the next day.  There is no mention of the 2 of them crying.  In Krittivas, however, it is mentioned.

I once had opened a Tulsidas version, that had the original Hindi, the transliterated version, and then a translation of the passage.  I do wish they did the same here - they do it for Valmiki, as can be seen in valmikiramayan.net (which again, excludes Uttarkand)

Edited by .Vrish. - 05 November 2012 at 2:04am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

varaali

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Ramayan of Krittivas Ojha: a study *New updt pg 11 (Page 13)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Debipriya

Debipriya

Posted: 05 November 2012 at 3:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

Vrish / Debi  

Why don't  you take a stab @ a few translations yourself?  

According to Wikipedia "Krittivasi Ramayana is not only a translation, but contains picturesque descriptions of Bengali social life and its values."

So Vrish / Debi / Sema ...please enlighten us.

Very nice suggestion Dear!  ... Will keep that in mind Smile. Currently I don't have the text with me.  

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

varaali

Urmila11

Goldie

Urmila11

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged
Vrish, no brother, sorry to say that in Krittivasi Ramayan also, Mandavi (& my dear Urmila too) is ignored Cry There is no other mention of Sita's sisters other than their husbands & children.

Varaali didi, your idea is beautiful indeed Star Yes, Mahakavi Krittivas was a great poet & his Ramayan is a storehouse of not only bhakti rasa but also ancient Bengali culture as well as various poetic styles which will be adored by all poetry lovers here Smile & for sure I will never miss this opportunity to represent my dear poet as I always feel proud to do this Big smile Just now I'm very busy with my studies, so please bear with me, I will try to satisfy you during my next update Smile 

Replies to the posts associated with the previous update will be given just before the next update (as I do always) Smile 

Jai Shri Ram!

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

DebipriyaShivangBuch.Vrish.varaali

Post Reply New Post

Go to top