Ramayan of Krittivas Ojha: a study *New updt pg 11 - Page 10

Posted: 11 years ago
Finally got to read the latest update properly... thank you so much for sharing so much knowledge with us, Sema devi! Really appreciate it 🤗 They were all wonderful as were the comments Shivang, Gunu and Vrish posted after - much of which helped me absorb them even better :) I have nothing to add really; just that I particularly liked the 2nd story. I don't know why but stories like these, where Ravan shows some form of awareness about Shri Ram's (and his own) true identity and proves to be acting out of a place of knowledge rather than ignorance really intrigue me. There may be much more to learn from when it is interpreted on a more human level of true karmphal for true villainy, but I just feel better about everything when I think of everyone as consciously having played a role in the avtaar to support God's purpose of teaching lessons :)
Sema, I'm so sorry for being inactive in this thread! Thank you SO much for the recent update of Yudh Kand. It's very interesting and I never heard this story before, nor seen it in any Ramayan show or movie.😲 It once again prooves Hanumanji's intelligence and loyalty to Shri Ram. There is nothing that is impossible for him.
You are such a storehouse of knowledge, looking forward to your next update.😍
Urmila/Debi

Is anything mentioned about Mandavi in Krittivas, other than the fact that she married Bharat and had 2 sons from him - Taksha & Pushkal?
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Urmila/Debi

Is anything mentioned about Mandavi in Krittivas, other than the fact that she married Bharat and had 2 sons from him - Taksha & Pushkal?

I am yet to read 😔 the complete text of Krittivas Ramayan.

Only Sema or any other person who has read the full text, will be able to answer your qs 😊.
Urmilla / Sema,

Wonderful effort from your side.👏 I have enjoyed each and every bit of it. 

I have a small suggestion / request. Instead of just narrating stories and summarizing them in English, you can also quote a few lines (with your translation, of course) to show how the poet has described the situation in his own words.

In my experience, a language comes alive in the hands of such master poets. Sometimes, words with double meanings are used, sometimes a scene (whether pictorial or emotional) is described so vividly, you can visualize it perfectly. And that, in my opinion is the hallmark of a great writer- to make the reader see what he (the writer) has in his imagination.

Vrish / Debi  

Why don't  you take a stab @ a few translations yourself?  

According to Wikipedia "Krittivasi Ramayana is not only a translation, but contains picturesque descriptions of Bengali social life and its values."

So Vrish / Debi / Sema ...please enlighten us.

Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
Varaali

I have a book, but it's written in a 14th century dialect which is really hard to follow (aside from the fact that my reading of Bengali is regrettably not fluent at all).  As a kid, I once had a part of it - 'Mahiravan vadh' as one of the poems in my ICSE Bengali syllabus.  I have on occasion opened it to specific chapters to see what it describes about something I'm looking for.  However, to do a random search of something w/o knowing where it is would take forever.

One example - in Valmiki, it says - unbelievably - that after Sita went underground w/ Bhoomi Devi and Brahma pacified Rama, he asked him to listen to the remaining part of the Ramayan, and Kush/Luv resumed the recitation the next day.  There is no mention of the 2 of them crying.  In Krittivas, however, it is mentioned.

I once had opened a Tulsidas version, that had the original Hindi, the transliterated version, and then a translation of the passage.  I do wish they did the same here - they do it for Valmiki, as can be seen in valmikiramayan.net (which again, excludes Uttarkand)
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
Originally posted by varaali

Vrish / Debi  

Why don't  you take a stab @ a few translations yourself?  

According to Wikipedia "Krittivasi Ramayana is not only a translation, but contains picturesque descriptions of Bengali social life and its values."

So Vrish / Debi / Sema ...please enlighten us.

Very nice suggestion Dear!  ... Will keep that in mind 😊. Currently I don't have the text with me.  
Vrish, no brother, sorry to say that in Krittivasi Ramayan also, Mandavi (& my dear Urmila too) is ignored 😭 There is no other mention of Sita's sisters other than their husbands & children.

Varaali didi, your idea is beautiful indeed ⭐️ Yes, Mahakavi Krittivas was a great poet & his Ramayan is a storehouse of not only bhakti rasa but also ancient Bengali culture as well as various poetic styles which will be adored by all poetry lovers here 😊 & for sure I will never miss this opportunity to represent my dear poet as I always feel proud to do this 😃 Just now I'm very busy with my studies, so please bear with me, I will try to satisfy you during my next update 😊 

Replies to the posts associated with the previous update will be given just before the next update (as I do always) 😊 

Jai Shri Ram!