First Day, First Show - Page 4

Posted: 12 years ago

Its been so many years since I watch a BT show. I think the last one I followed regularly was KZK before little Prem 1 died. Anyways times have changed and now EK makes shows which dont start with the alphabet K. So here I am with my brief opinion-
Cliches:
-Ram is a powerful business tycoon with the world jumping to do his bidding but his world revolves around his family.
-Priya is a sweet middle class lady whose world again revolves around her family.
-There is a step mother and siblings waiting in the wings to turn villians once Priya becomes a part of Ram's life.
-Priya has a selfish kid sister who is too used to getting her way thanks to her mother spoiling her.
-Ram has an understanding friend and confidante who works with him; Priya's father appears to be the understanding father to her.
-The actress playing Ram's step mother looks younger than him like every soap. 

Not cliched:
-Girls in Priya's class pointing out that Ram is fat and not going ga-ga over his non-existent sexiness; as if an actor's sex appeal has to be established with some badly dressed junior artists going gaga over him. Yahan toh even the junior artists didnt look that sidey. Few of them could easily play those friend/sister roles.
-Ram's family is not shown to be eating of his hands just because he controls the purse strings. Instead he craves for their attention. Refreshing!
-Priya dressed as a normal working woman of her age. Refreshing again!
-Priya's mum too dressed in trousers and not the typical dukhiyari mother of the girl.

Blooper:
Commericial flights get cancelled due to bad weather...but private jets are allowed to fly? Also if Ram is so wealthy why not hire a private jet? Why do a potential loss making deal for a private jet?

Verdict:
A decent start...I will watch out for more.
Edited by kshreya2002 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by Ramy25

@bold--- WORD! i seemed to draw that parallel between the characters as well.
Priya's mum doesn't seem like the stereotypical "evil" vamp-mum, she is just indifferent. it won't be right to say that she doesn't love her daughter Priya right now because we haven't heard much from her end. It could be that she might have been equally doting mother to Priya but when Priya seemed to show different interests in life (that is not being a model and such), she might have grown aloof from her daughter. Sometimes, some parents seem to pay more attention to the child through whom they seem to live their dreams than the other child. And this could be it in Priya's case as well.

@Ram's step mum--- first of all, bad choice of actress to play a step mum of a 40 year old man. She looks more like a sister to him than mother and then to hear him call her out "maa" is just weird.

Actually Priya's mum reminded me of Mahi's mum from Mahiway. She doesnt mean anything bad but she cant relate to Priya either. As for Ram's step-mother I agree...the choice of the actress to play his mother is bad. Eva Grover in fact might be younger than him. When he said mom I was like 'hain...yeh iski mom hain?'. She being a step sibling might have been better.
Originally posted by psawyer

Bloopers are par for the course in EK shows, but this early in? LMAO - someone in writing screwed up...

What made me laugh was how quickly Ram's business transaction went through and he took the private jet immediately. Since this is - I presume - company money and not Ram's personal pocket money, it has to go through many channels and protocols before it is released for such a sale. Since EK has done shows like this before and always got the business aspect wrong, I would have thought she'd taken the time (two years, apparently, while waiting for Sakshi and Ram to come on board) to fully fill all the gaps in her (and her writers') knowledge so no threads are left loose. 

It seems to me she likes to leave bloopers such as these so the audiences can have fun picking them apart πŸ€£ for me, as long as the acting is good (and it is), I have a high tolerance for BS. As long as Ram and Sakshi are here and not dead for millionth time only to br brought back for the millionth time, I think I can keep watching...

Not only that commericial flights get cancelled due to bad weather...but private jets are allowed to fly? Also if Ram is so wealthy why not hire a private jet? Why do a potential loss making deal for a private jet?
1DRFUL EPISD N SUPRB ACTING BY RAM N SAKSHI
1ST EPISD ROCKS ,DIFFERNT CONCEPT ,N NEW JODI

I second you Vasu, It is a Ek show and we swa a jhalak of last night..bloopers are like they follow BT shows..as if they are ghosts..anyways I do not mind bloopers but when my mom and sister force me to explain the logic behind it they it becomes really difficult.

I am still not convinced that I would get to see Sakshi everyday .. it feels really nice to see her.And if we ignore the logic Priya directly touched my heart and yes I can identify with her. Thanks EK has given her such a wonderful role and  I am sure Sakshi will not leave a chance to make special. So good to see Ram and his thoughts about his insecurities and marriage. Looking forward to thier first Mulakat πŸ˜‰

Though it is a BT show  I appreciate how they manage to show two different characters struggling in  a different  to achieve one common thing.The story connects as late marriages has become a trend in India. Like  the parallel cutting and crisp story ( so it is crisp) and pacing is amazing.Hope Ram's friend stay loyal ..friendship ki thodi grace maintain hogi ...

Awaiting Pehli Mulakat ...

Ok, I've only managed to watch 3/4ths of the first epi so far but here's my general thoughts.

I'm so BEYOND sick of the THOUSAND years purana Kekta background score she uses in EVERY show...It's been a while since I've watched a typical K-soap and to hear those dumb tunes in EVERY scene was ruining the effect for me.

Secondly, it's not bloopers that bother me but the TECHNICAL glitches...what was up with the random bad dubbing for Ram and Priya's bits in b/w?? The voiceovers sound like pata nahin kaunse door tunnel se aawaaz aa rahi hai...such POOR quality of sound/dubbing...what a waste if you look at how this is THE soap queen we are talking about *rolls eyes*  This is the FIRST epi...you'd think they'd put in proper PREPARATION for it...but no, instead they are busy compiling wohi same footage of the 20000 gods that Kekta must pray to before starting an epi.

Overall I felt the epi was rushed...in the way typical first epis of K-soaps have been since I can remember...why does EVERY character trait need to be established within the first epi only?? For example, the bit when Ram tells his friend why he feels marriage is not for him...did that have to be randomly put in after a moment right after Ram's stepmom kinda snubs him??? Why not draw out some character traits so that it all unfolds slowly and the audience is able to absorb and assimilate each facet of a character? This epi could have been left at showing the whole business tycoon on the rush aspect to him or even his OCD behavior at the meeting talking about bringing his own cutlery next time...

Priya's character was everything the synopsis mentioned but HOW I wish that stupid "Oh can't you see what a WONDERFUL woman" she is music wasn't playing the bg to play up her mahaanta...as it is the scenes with the mother and sister were cliched...upar se this music...god save us.

And the lecture on pyar...god...ok either I've been spoilt by some some shows where I've seen such wonderful NUANCES in recent times or K-soaps are just incapable in general of dwelling on nuances and not ramming you over the head with that baba adam ke zamaane ka melodramatic bg music...we GET that Priya is a positive personality but WHY the need for such a CHEESY love gyaan session?? Really blahh scene.

So far the supporting characters don't seem very interesting. RP obviously have potential...let's see if/how their relationship is developed well from here on.
Edited by nureat01 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by nureat01

Ok, I've only managed to watch 3/4ths of the first epi so far but here's my general thoughts.

I'm so BEYOND sick of the THOUSAND years purana Kekta background score she uses in EVERY show...It's been a while since I've watched a typical K-soap and to hear those dumb tunes in EVERY scene was ruining the effect for me.

Secondly, it's not bloopers that bother me but the TECHNICAL glitches...what was up with the random bad dubbing for Ram and Priya's bits in b/w?? The voiceovers sound like pata nahin kaunse door tunnel se aawaaz aa rahi hai...such POOR quality of sound/dubbing...what a waste if you look at how this is THE soap queen we are talking about *rolls eyes*  This is the FIRST epi...you'd think they'd put in proper PREPARATION for it...but no, instead they are busy compiling wohi same footage of the 20000 gods that Kekta must pray to before starting an epi.

Overall I felt the epi was rushed...in the way typical first epis of K-soaps have been since I can remember...why does EVERY character trait need to be established within the first epi only?? For example, the bit when Ram tells his friend why he feels marriage is not for him...did that have to be randomly put in after a moment right after Ram's stepmom kinda snubs him??? Why not draw out some character traits so that it all unfolds slowly and the audience is able to absorb and assimilate each facet of a character? This epi could have been left at showing the whole business tycoon on the rush aspect to him or even his OCD behavior at the meeting talking about bringing his own cutlery next time...

Priya's character was everything the synopsis mentioned but HOW I wish that stupid "Oh can't you see what a WONDERFUL woman" she is music wasn't playing the bg to play up her mahaanta...as it is the scenes with the mother and sister were cliched...upar se this music...god save us.

And the lecture on pyar...god...ok either I've been spoilt by some some shows where I've seen such wonderful NUANCES in recent times or K-soaps are just incapable in general of dwelling on nuances and not ramming you over the head with that baba adam ke zamaane ka melodramatic bg music...we GET that Priya is a positive personality but WHY the need for such a CHEESY love gyaan session?? Really blahh scene.

So far the supporting characters don't seem very interesting. RP obviously have potential...let's see if/how their relationship is developed well from here on.

Anu bear! πŸ€— was waiting for your contribution to this...

You know, when I wrote this yesterday I was simultaneously watching the show OL, and so these were my immediate thoughts. Later, I watched the show on TV (due to time difference) with my fam, and my feelings were revised slightly to concur with yours, Shreya's and to some extent, Mash's in the CC. 

@bold1 - lmao. The bg scores are so common now that I barely pay attention to them but yes, they have become very stale. I loved the bg of the title track though that played a few times on Priya. But tbh the first thought that came to my head then was how would that track sound rocked-up, synthesised and angry-sounding for the typical "angry/pivotal/revenge-type" moment when Priya is about to deliver someone a bhashan or an asskicking πŸ€£  - you know what I'm talking about, Anu? The beefed-up versions of KZK and KGGK (which, btw, I *loved* at the time)? The melody of BALH is so sweet, so soft that it made me laugh to imagine what it would sound like in the future. 

@bold2 - EXACTLY! I said something similar in this or another post somewhere - since apparently Ekta has been waiting for TWO years for Ram and Sakshi to give the show the nod, you'd think she would have spent the time preparing the script and all its peripherals in such a way that NOBODY could pick a single fault in - at the very least - the FIRST episode?! Haila - this simply reaffirmed to me that K-titles or not, EK has not grown up, matured or changed a single bit. Okay, she's the creative head and not the actual writer/production manager/whatever - but it is HER final responsibility to ensure that her monkeys are closing every manhole with a logical cover (excuse the really bad analogy πŸ˜†). Chalo, at the very least we could start a daily/weekly Blooper Watch and laugh ourselves silly πŸ˜†

@bold3 - arre, when has EK not rushed into things? Like we discussed in the CC, most EK heroines have fallen in hate, lust, love, pregnancy, hate again and revenge all within the first week's worth of episodes πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£ That's when the story truly begins πŸ€”. But I agree with you that the mark of a good story - and a good writer - lies in revealing the characters and their minds slooowly, page by page, through incident, action and thought. This was almost like those really bad novels where the narrator gets his heroine (or her best friend) to strike up a ridiculous conversation detailing every aspect of their lives up until this point, even though they already know and have been through it. That just makes it all the more transparent that it is a story. 

@bold4 - LMAO πŸ€£ What I still want to know is why the hell was Priya giving gyaan on love in a class meant to be a) about Keats and, you know, his WRITING, and b) in English?!! This reminded me of that scene from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai when Mz Briganza (aha! πŸ˜†) taught the gang Romeo and Juliet, but only got as far as asking her three favourite students what love was πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£ Mind you, I love the film and that scene - it just didn't really fit in an English class. Or, maybe that's what the teach in English classes in India? πŸ˜• I wouldn't know, but maybe Anu and gang can shed some light on this πŸ€£πŸ€£ were you asked to write essays on love and marriage in your Eng Lit classes? πŸ€£

All of this now sounds like I've completely reversed my position and hated the episode; that's not the case. I do still think it had some potential but I feel that largely it rode on S/R's shoulders to rise above the mediocre dialogue. And despite the promise of the promos, I went with with reasonably low (in Ekta's case, these are very, very, VERY low) expectations, so I wasn't as disappointed as some others might be. It wasn't the worst thing I've seen on Indian TV in recent years, but there is still a ways to go.
@nureat01 I wholly agree with everything you said.  Everything in the world is moving forward except for maayi's soap formula.  If she wants her production house to survive she better get serious.  Its like she thinks only people in metro are smart...maybe she should visit some gaon and listen to some of them lambast her on her illogical family relationships.

As you said, do you really know the whole life history of the leads in the first epi...a somewhat more focused scenes of the leads would have been nice.  I can still remember the first epi of Agle janam when they show Lalli dive in to the water so she could retrieve the offerings thrown in water...so that she could take it home and her family has something to eat.  It left you with wanting to know more about the character.

I just hope we don't see other Ekta trademarks of copies of cd that reveal some dirty deeds of the lead or Sakshi going around snooping what the sauteli maa and dewar is up to or Sakshi getter pregger and RK kicking her out of the door and then 5 years later remarrying her again.
Originally posted by psawyer

Anu bear! πŸ€— was waiting for your contribution to this...Vasu bear!πŸ€— So glad we're getting to do these discussions again in your post!

@bold1 - lmao. The bg scores are so common now that I barely pay attention to them but yes, they have become very stale. I loved the bg of the title track though that played a few times on Priya. But tbh the first thought that came to my head then was how would that track sound rocked-up, synthesised and angry-sounding for the typical "angry/pivotal/revenge-type" moment when Priya is about to deliver someone a bhashan or an asskicking πŸ€£  - you know what I'm talking about, Anu? The beefed-up versions of KZK and KGGK (which, btw, I *loved* at the time)? The melody of BALH is so sweet, so soft that it made me laugh to imagine what it would sound like in the future. LMAO Oh those faster "rock" versions of the title songs...ahhh CLASSIC K-soapsπŸ˜†πŸ˜†...yeah I know what you mean...I did love those at the time though...they used to make the high drama scenes even all the more high voltageπŸ˜†...I loved the KZK faster version especially...oh even the PM one...for the 'kabhi na sukoon aaya' song, remember?πŸ˜†

@bold2 - EXACTLY! I said something similar in this or another post somewhere - since apparently Ekta has been waiting for TWO years for Ram and Sakshi to give the show the nod, you'd think she would have spent the time preparing the script and all its peripherals in such a way that NOBODY could pick a single fault in - at the very least - the FIRST episode?! Haila - this simply reaffirmed to me that K-titles or not, EK has not grown up, matured or changed a single bit. Okay, she's the creative head and not the actual writer/production manager/whatever - but it is HER final responsibility to ensure that her monkeys are closing every manhole with a logical cover (excuse the really bad analogy πŸ˜†). Chalo, at the very least we could start a daily/weekly Blooper Watch and laugh ourselves silly πŸ˜†WORD! Kekta really truly can NEVER grow up  it seems...I agree the basic formula of saas-bahu soaps was pioneered by her in her sense but she refuses to evolve with time now that there IS competition and a variety of soaps which ARE putting in more effort into writing/presentation...Kekta can't only rely on her loyal army of actors...I don't think she's written anything in this show apart from the concept...I was reading the title credits...story credit was to someone called Doris Dey...classic K-soap writer who I think wrote KZK as well...remember Tina thanking her in her 'best yogya jodi' speech? God I'm a pretty obsessed PM fangirl...even remember their award speeches verbatim *hides face*πŸ˜†

@bold3 - arre, when has EK not rushed into things? Like we discussed in the CC, most EK heroines have fallen in hate, lust, love, pregnancy, hate again and revenge all within the first week's worth of episodes πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£ That's when the story truly begins πŸ€”. Oh god, so true...in Kekta land toh apparently story doesn't even begin until the first major misunderstanding happens to kick the melodrama into high gearπŸ₯±...ughhh can I hope a LITTLE bit that it wont' be AS bad in this?πŸ˜†

But I agree with you that the mark of a good story - and a good writer - lies in revealing the characters and their minds slooowly, page by page, through incident, action and thought. This was almost like those really bad novels where the narrator gets his heroine (or her best friend) to strike up a ridiculous conversation detailing every aspect of their lives up until this point, even though they already know and have been through it. That just makes it all the more transparent that it is a story. Exactly! You've described it perfectly...it IS like a bad novel that rushes through the very portion that NEEDS time and build up...and then you feel no emotional investment in the story or the characters

@bold4 - LMAO πŸ€£ What I still want to know is why the hell was Priya giving gyaan on love in a class meant to be a) about Keats and, you know, his WRITING, and b) in English?!! This reminded me of that scene from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai when Mz Briganza (aha! πŸ˜†) taught the gang Romeo and Juliet, but only got as far as asking her three favourite students what love was πŸ€£ Mind you, I love the film and that scene - it just didn't really fit in an English class. Or, maybe that's what the teach in English classes in India? πŸ˜• I wouldn't know, but maybe Anu and gang can shed some light on this πŸ€£πŸ€£ were you asked to write essays on love and marriage in your Eng Lit classes? πŸ€£ LOL no ways...these kind of "love gyaan" sessions only happen in a KJo movie ki "English Lit" class *rolls eyes*...lol...yeah I also got a slight deja vu of KKHH and Mis Briganaza except ofcourse Priya is a far more mature character and not a caricature like Ms.B...but still the whole scene was quite cheesy...I wish they hadn't shown Priya as some kind of romantic idealist either...or at the least not PREACHED about it...they could have shown her thoughts on this musing to herself...why preach to a bunch of BIMBOS?? Oh and I REALLY hope this show isn't a caricature about how all young ppl are only shallow flighty types while the older/mature crowd like Priya only has all the ACTUAL knowledge about what love REALLY is...

I'm deffo going to be watching still ofcourse and I think the show might get better as the high points approach but the first epi had a lot of lame moments sadly *shakes head*πŸ˜†...I hope they do a good job with character interactions...flesh out the friendships and all some more too...and use the BALH song more often...just the simple version without heavy bg music.

So the question is Do I watch  the serial ya give it a Miss..

Anu lovely post. Summarized pretty well. Am looking forward to reading more analysis..

Just  wanted to know when did this serial start Mon or Tuesday. Back after the Memorial day weekend so a little ignorant.