Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Life of a Widow

Rasny IF-Rockerz
Rasny
Rasny

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged
I was watching a documentary regarding the widow's life in India. I felt really bad. Are they really deserve such a life? how can a son/ daughter have a happy life at home while his/her mother is suffering in an aashramam? 
If she is not responsible for her husband's death, then why should a widow being treated in a disgusting way?
Is this way of treatment towards widow related to Hinduism or Indian culture?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Jugnu_244

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged
Ah I thought it was a window at first glance. LOL
When one is poor n with kids life is tough. But family n friends should try and help. We still have some relatives back home and try to help such cases too.
Worst is the caste system which most modern Hindus try to do away with, but still there are some problems.

Humanity should rank above all religions.

All ladies too should have education n learn some skills.

Edited by Summer3 - 28 May 2011 at 5:40pm

Rasny

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rasny

I was watching a documentary regarding the widow's life in India. I felt really bad. Are they really deserve such a life? how can a son/ daughter have a happy life at home while his/her mother is suffering in an aashramam? 
If she is not responsible for her husband's death, then why should a widow being treated in a disgusting way?
Is this way of treatment towards widow related to Hinduism or Indian culture?-No

Because She is lacking or dont have Money/Job/Education/Will power/Ambition...Smile

Rasny

blue-ice IF-Stunnerz
blue-ice
blue-ice

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged

no ...Hinduism and Indian culture do not ask to treat a widow in a bad way...people who say so are just using religion and culture as crutches to abuse the widow...
My chachi was widowed at a young age and she had three little kids...she was never treated any different than the other women in our family...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

DemonStarRasnyRapier

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:51pm | IP Logged

Don't really know where they send widows to ashram, although I've heard that many widows are packed off to stay at Brindavan and Mathura. However, I know what happens to widows in Bengal. They wear white saris, eat vegetarian food and no onion and garlic. There were some other rules as well, like they will keep short hair, will eat rice only once a day and stuff like that but they are not followed any more. But white saris and vegetarian food is still followed by many and I don't exactly get the logic behind that. Why does society force a woman to mourn the loss of her husband for the rest of her life is beyond me.

Edited by souro - 28 May 2011 at 11:52pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Mahika24RapierRasnyThe_Other_Womanblue-ice

Rasny IF-Rockerz
Rasny
Rasny

Posted: 29 May 2011 at 5:57am | IP Logged
Happy to know that many NGOs have been working for rights of widows. 

The_Other_Woman

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:32am | IP Logged
I think the age gap between the Hubby n wife should have a legal limit. It a 76 year old idiot marries a 20 year old gal, early widowhood is guaranteed. Lucky they need not jump into a fire. Imagine if the 76 year old idiot has 10 young wives.LOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

RasnyThe_Other_WomanMindbender

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

I think the age gap between the Hubby n wife should have a legal limit. It a 76 year old idiot marries a 20 year old gal, early widowhood is guaranteed. Lucky they need not jump into a fire. Imagine if the 76 year old idiot has 10 young wives.LOL

LOLTrue...Older male's fertility exists till 80+ ,thats why some societies supporting serial monogamy...But Rich people can do anything boss...Money hey tho Honey hey!! ...Tongue

Edited by Believe - 29 May 2011 at 8:47am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Jugnu_244Rasny

Go to top