WHY does Bollywood revolve around SHAHRUKH KHAN? - Page 8

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by qwww

I agree none of the Rahuls he played later on could match that performance. He was so delightful. I love that movie - the songs, the last scene everything   - my all time favorite.
On topic  - Bollywood revolved around Rajesh Khanna once upon a time and then Aamitabh Bacchan followed by SRK. I think his hold on that title is slacking now. With a lot of fresh blood  he needs to reinvent himself. I dont think Aamir or even Salman can take the place he once enjoyed in Bollywood. Mega Superstars  - that too self made ones are very rarely found.

True. I loved SRK in Hey Ram too. Short yet impactful. Aah, well! I love his Rahuls too.
Originally posted by myLuvShahid-ji

Ya me too..here too,,if i met some1..if they knows me I am India..some tells me I love indian movies.u know SRK..im like ya he is my fav actor😆
Same dude, same happens with me. 😆 
Originally posted by wat_up

^I diagree, because whenever anyone talks on bolly they mention AB sr and Shashi Kapoor (not sure how thry know him ) Maybe because him and AB did maxium movies I have been told. I then try to tell them that they were there years ago though AB is still there in the industry. Yet many non-indians associate bolly with these two especially overseas. As, I have traveled all over.😊

Since Slumdog millionaire came out many westerners are now taking an interest in our movies. The icon they know representing Bolly is Anil Kapoor. In Europe I agree SRK is well Known. In the states, not so much till MNIK controversy came out when he was stopped at an airport did Westners know he was a bolly star. Anil Kapoor is now known globally, and what present generation think  when one is associated bolly. 😊 

Now are we talking on Indians over seas then yes its AB or SRK😊 
Non indians: Anil Kapoor

i never seen or heard any person mentioned shashi kapoor..but he is mine fav actor too😳
Originally posted by kasharti1

^^@ Wat_up: Umm...I think everyone has different experiences. We had people over here(where I live) from Germany on an exchange trip and as soon as they found out that I am an Indian, they straight away asked me about bollywood and the first one that came to their mind was Shahrukh Khan, they even sang two of his songs to me LOL. They then told me how famous SRK is even in Germany. My Indian friends from the States know that I like SRK and they keep telling me how many people they encounter in The States talk to them about bollywood and MOST of them know SRK the most. I travelled to England a few months ago and there people know many bollywood stars but once again, SRK, Aish and AB sr. were the most known. Lastly, my friends from Africa are crazy bout SRK, they borrow DVDs from me and have told me how many people in their country know SRK and adore him. Having said that, I am not ignoring the fact that AB and Shashi Kapoor are known overseas too. Haven't met any Shashi Kapoor fans tbh, but SRK, Aish and AB sr., definitely.  Saying that SRK isn't known at all overseas is complete bs as everyone knows he is known overseas a lot. I don't live in India, and I have first hand experience of SRK's power outside India. :)

Back to the topic, everyone has different opinions. Yes he is an important role to play and I ahve always repected him for his hard working and down to Earth Nature. People may disagree with me but ah well, different opinions.

I agree with what "Sheee" said-

I agree on Europe. I said that in my post. I am talking on Canada and the States. Were he so well known, why was he stopped? He walked in NYC and barely noticed. In Toronto, Canada when SRK came in 2004 on tempation tour. He was smoking a cigarette outside no non-indoan went to him to get a autograph (only indian security/customs). Also, He shopped iLA no non-indian knew him only did someone know he was something was when an indian asked to get a picture.

Why is it so hard to believe that our bolly stars can roam over seas and not be mobbed or recognized?

Plus I am not saying Shashi Kapoor is global its just when some non indians at a party talked they mentioned it. I was not talking on our generation (the younger one). or any generation in particular. Just what I heard and was shocked , as you are on why some people would.

In general, AB is very global. Anil is now so hyped here. the younger non indians since slumdog keep asking me on him and his daughter.

Edited by wat_up - 12 years ago
Originally posted by Dexterphile

Believe you me, nobody in the States besides the Desi population cares about Sharukh, Amitabh Aishwarya or any other bollywood star. Hell the average layman does not even care that much abotu their own mega stars,. Angie, Pitt... you name it. They can walk in central park in broad daylight and nobody would rush for autographs. People here are not star struck (I am not including hormonal preteens or rockstar groupies here for obvious reasons).
Yes, but here we're not talking about "caring" or "bothering", we're talking about "knowing". 😳
And we can't generalise, everyone is different, no two people are the same so it'll be different for eveyone.
Originally posted by kasharti1

Word...that is sooo true. I love you for saying this! 😳
I couldn't have said it better!
ya me too haan😳
nice to meet u too ðŸ˜Š
Originally posted by Gobsmacked

Thats my favourite performance of SRK too. I must have seen the movie a zillion times. He was such a natural in the movie as the hopeless romantic and happy go lucky hero. The movie was very realistic and SRK brought that special craziness and lovability to the role.
The scene when he looks for the wedding ring was quite touching.

Another standout scene was when he went to the girl's parents to ask for her hand trying to convey how much he loves her but unable to finish off, thought it was pretty stellar acting.
When it comes to overseas, SRK's star power/BO pull is unmatched.
If you look at BOI's highest grossing movies overseas, 4 of the top 5 belong to SRK. Aamir's 3 Idiots being the only non-SRK grosser in the top 5 (and that too it's at #4).
Originally posted by wat_up

I agree on Europe. I said that in my post. I am talking on Canada and the States. Were he so well known, why was he stopped? He walked in NYC and barely noticed. In Toronto, Canada when SRK came in 2004 on tempation tour. He was smoking a cigarette outside no non-indoan went to him to get a autograph (only indian security/customs). Also, He shopped iLA no non-indian knew him only did someone know he was something was when an indian asked to get a picture.

Why is it so hard to believe that our bolly stars can roam over seas and not be mobbed?

Even in Europe no one would run to get an autograph. But many people do know them. And I was just replying to you that when you said AB and Shashi Kapoor are known but not SRK, I disagree. I know many people who know him and I was just making you aware of that fact. =))

I am not saying that bolly people can't roam overseas without being mobbed, I know they can and I totally believe that, I did not even mention that. All I was saying was that from what I have experienced, I know people who know SRK more than the people you mentioned, that's it, but our experiences were oviously different. :/
Originally posted by Dexterphile

Believe you me, nobody in the States besides the Desi population cares about Sharukh, Amitabh Aishwarya or any other bollywood star. Hell the average layman does not even care that much abotu their own mega stars,. Angie, Pitt... you name it. They can walk in central park in broad daylight and nobody would rush for autographs. People here are not star struck (I am not including hormonal preteens or rockstar groupies here for obvious reasons).
I know here too usa..pppl are not..crszy abt stars like in India but manys are like them