Debate Mansion

Wild Wild Web (Ref:Pg 3)? (Page 3)

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 4:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by osama-bin-joe

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

My motto stands as if you wouldn't do it in real life, don't do it in virtual life. Following that helps me because I do realize that it is pretty easy to lose yourself online and to allow yourself to believe that what happens here doesn't matter. At the end of the day, it does matter. You may think that logging off/editing/self-banning yourself will make your actions go away, but this is still real life. What you do and how you behave all stays with you. Yeah, no one else may come and ask you why you said what you said, but do whatever it takes to keep your conscience clean.

that's also a pretty bad idea. By doing that, you are treating your virtual life on par with your real life, which causes you to take it too seriously. There's no need to turn into mr. hyde, but there's no need to stay Dr. Jekyll either on the net. For example, I make the rudest comments on youutube or IF, which I wouldn't dream of saying in real life, apart from a few friends that is. Virtual life is a relaxed version of reality, where you can sweep a few dust pieces under the mat. A few.
Live the vacarious life of a terrorist or Osama tooLOL

-pixie- IF-Rockerz
-pixie-
-pixie-

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kuls11

Morals and ethics actually depend upon personal  choice if they are to be followed or ignored in real or virtual world in one or both. Its individual choice,if they chose to follow it or not.
I don't think freedom of expression is valued anywhere in real world. Its one rule which is written in law but followed rarely. Freedom of expression of sometime curbed sometime misused  in virtual world through cyber bullying.

I couldnt 'have said it better myself!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Silentsoul

Silentsoul IF-Sizzlerz
Silentsoul
Silentsoul

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 7:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -pixie-

Morals and ethics actually depend upon personal  choice if they are to be followed or ignored in real or virtual world in one or both. Its individual choice,if they chose to follow it or not.
I don't think freedom of expression is valued anywhere in real world. Its one rule which is written in law but followed rarely. Freedom of expression of sometime curbed sometime misused  in virtual world through cyber bullying.

I couldnt 'have said it better myself!

No you can; I know you are better with words than me..LOL

-pixie-

-Sookie- IF-Dazzler
-Sookie-
-Sookie-

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 7:55am | IP Logged
When you think about it, besides chat rooms, most of the forums are moderated, just how it is in IF. If one ventures to an anonymous bulletin board and expects courtesy, respect or even a decent treatment, then it might not be possible. It's not that people are not capable of it; its just that venting out without a moral/social filter attached between words that come to brain and fingers that type those words on keyboard, is much simpler. And they got nothing to lose.

Freedom of expression: Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "right" thing. There was this one bulletin board back in 2004-05 for X-Files where in hardcore fans fought tooth and nail with people who didn't believe in X-Files stuff. Fair enough. But people went as far as stalking them on other forums, cyber bullying and sometimes even thinly veiled death threats. The BB was closed when things went too far.

I know that one of the constant struggles as a forum moderator would be to balance things between what one might offensive vs. speaking out a point of view.

Can we talk about anything under the umbrella of freedom of expression?? I don't think so.
MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged

@Bold: I agree. But up to which extent? There are somethings which are unacceptable no matter how you look at it. Don't you think crossing those limits cannot be justified by saying, "It's a matter of choice" ?? 

Edited by .Doe. - 27 May 2011 at 10:37am

Silentsoul

-Aarya- IF-Dazzler
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 10:52am | IP Logged
@summer: How does 'time' affect your judgment on Internet vs real life choices?

@Kul: Cyber bullying: There has been law passed in many countries over period  of time where "any communication, with the intent to coerce, intimidate,  harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person, using  electronic means to support severe, repeated, and hostile behavior.." any one found guilty of this crime could face a fine or a prison terms. Though  the parents need to mentor their children and compassion isn't something you can legislate. Only by changing behaviors we can hope to really curb cyber  bullying!

@osama-bin-joe: How do you know the person is some random idiot? Are his/her  feelings really hurt? How much do you know the person on the other end?

@return_to_hades: 'Ideally' is the correct word. They are censors and  barriers on all sites (code of conduct, terms of use, etc.) so why isn't the net for everyone (with respect to age groups)?

@Woh Ajnabee: A clean conscience, a true confession of the soul is personal  struggle and cannot be fought with others! Who really decides whose morals  are right vs wrong in the world of unknown (WWW)?

ps. I did respond to your scrap! We will meet when the Day meets the Night!:) Tongue

@angie: Did I miss your pov  or your just waiting for me! Wink

@blue: Are you suggesting that the Internet is the only place which allow you to be yourself vs real life?

ps...Thanks to 'Sookie' for the topic suggestion! Smile

@Believe: Is offend all we seek to do with the Internet then who is really  offended here, you or me? Wink

@Doe: How do you know who is really brilliant vs. idiot, they may be the total opposite in the real life! Isn't Google as brilliant as I or you! Wink

@pixie: Short and sweet escape is not allowed! Ermm

@Sookie: This was for you and here we go!

We are taught what we should live by is principals, morals and ethics. The  concept is really nice, so what happens if none of these ideologies  were   taught to us, would we have made different  choices?

Freedom of Expression on the Internet as some find it democracy vs others  find it communism! There are so many example of intellectual property,  po*nography, hate, threats, etc... for which so many people, sites, governments, and  countries choose to filter out the most material/information. Why is this material offensive? These are the facts of life which we all deal with on everyday basis.  If you believe that there is an inherent value in truth, that human beings on average and over time recognize and value truth, and that truth is best decided in a free marketplace of ideas, then the ability of the Internet to promote freedom of expression  is very important and should not be restricted by from principals, morals or ethics as everyone has different sets of values and perceptions.

I am going to plead the 1st vs 5th, does not guarantee an escape from what I am here to do.. to freely express my self.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

RasnySilentsoul

_Angie_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by night13

@angie: Did I miss your pov  or your just waiting for me! Wink

I am going to plead the 1st vs 5th, does not guarantee an escape from what I am here to do.. to freely express my self.

pls do and choose your side of the fence so that I can choose the opposite.
*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by osama-bin-joe

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

My motto stands as if you wouldn't do it in real life, don't do it in virtual life. Following that helps me because I do realize that it is pretty easy to lose yourself online and to allow yourself to believe that what happens here doesn't matter. At the end of the day, it does matter. You may think that logging off/editing/self-banning yourself will make your actions go away, but this is still real life. What you do and how you behave all stays with you. Yeah, no one else may come and ask you why you said what you said, but do whatever it takes to keep your conscience clean.

that's also a pretty bad idea. By doing that, you are treating your virtual life on par with your real life, which causes you to take it too seriously. There's no need to turn into mr. hyde, but there's no need to stay Dr. Jekyll either on the net. For example, I make the rudest comments on youutube or IF, which I wouldn't dream of saying in real life, apart from a few friends that is. Virtual life is a relaxed version of reality, where you can sweep a few dust pieces under the mat. A few.

Don't make me pull out those "few" pieces that you have swept under the mat because I promise you it will come back to haunt you, li'l boy. Tongue

And I disagree with you here, why won't your VL personality be the same as your RL personality? This forum just allows you a chance to discuss your ideas with a bunch of nameless people online, but it's not meant for you to develop some form of an online personality that you wish you had but really don't. Why would you make rude comments on Youtube? Well, I guess it is you, we're talking about!

Think about it this way: suppose instead of IF, you were having this discussion (or any debate) on Facebook with people you know in real life and people you will have to see again. Will your style of debating change? Will you say things differently then you would here on the forum since you know that you'll have to see these people tomorrow at school, at work, etc.? The answer to this question, for me, would be 'yes' - does it get me into a lot of trouble? Yeah, that too, but it's also who I am. And that doesn't change depending on who I am talking to.

But yes, I will agree that it is easier to say something more direct (be it rude or just blunt) to someone you don't know, someone who's feelings you don't care about, and someone you won't have to deal with once you log out than it is for someone you do know and will have to face.

Rasny

Go to top