41 [34.75%]
77 [65.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

pippa IF-Rockerz
pippa
pippa

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:15pm | IP Logged
Maanddy,
I've said this in several posts before but nobody seems to pay attention.

The Trp system in India is not  what everybody in this forum believes it to be.

Just by turning on the the Tv at 9.30 pm to watch the show does NOT ensure TRps.

A TAM meter, an electronic device, endorsed by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry of India, is given to a cross-section of people in the Metros, towns and villages. These meters are attached to the television sets along with a device to operate it when the household is watching a particular show.

The TAM monitors the shows viewed by a cross-section of these people and the shows and their timings are registered. Depending on these findings, Tv shows get their ratings and TRPS.

Even advertisers depend on these TAM findings in order to decide on which shows to sponsor and when and where to advertise their products.

Now, the sad part is that these TAM meters are very few in number, just a few thousand. Plus, not many people have a TV at home...and those who do, have only one, like you've mentioned.

Thus, it is an accepted fact that the TAM findings are not at all accurate and its scope isn't wide enough.

My point is this:Just living in India and turning on Geet at 9.30 pm won't do the trick. We need these TAM meters in every house in India which is an impossibility!

My being in India and watching the show at 9.30 pm will NOT help to save the show.

I have more than one TV at home but no TAM meter. So, it's impossible for me to help raise the TRPs.

Edited by pippa - 28 May 2011 at 11:19pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

iMadz

iMadz IF-Rockerz
iMadz
iMadz

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by pippa

Maanddy,
I've said this in several posts before but nobody seems to pay attention.

The Trp system in India is not  what everybody in this forum believes it to be.

Just by turning on the the Tv at 9.30 pm to watch the show does NOT ensure TRps.

A TAM meter, an electronic device, endorsed by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry of India, is given to a cross-section of people in the Metros, towns and villages. These meters are attached to the television sets along with a device to operate it when the household is watching a particular show.

The TAM monitors the shows viewed by a cross-section of these people and the shows and their timings are registered. Depending on these findings, Tv shows get their ratings and TRPS.

Even advertisers depend on these TAM findings in order to decide on which shows to sponsor and when and where to advertise their products.

Now, the sad part is that these TAM meters are very few in number, just a few thousand. Plus, not many people have a TV at home...and those who do, have only one, like you've mentioned.

Thus, it is an accepted fact that the TAM findings are not at all accurate and its scope isn't wide enough.

My point is this:Just living in India and turning on Geet at 9.30 pm won't do the trick. We need these TAM meters in every house in India which is an impossibility!

My being in India and watching the show at 9.30 pm will NOT help to save the show.

I have more than one TV at home but no TAM meter. So, it's impossible for me to help raise the TRPs.

Oh ! Thanks for this wonderful knowledge ! I never knew that ! BTW, post it in another topic of mine and separately, too ! But, in GF being most members from outside India. It's not useful at all ! Ouch

luv_gurmeet Newbie
luv_gurmeet
luv_gurmeet

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:40pm | IP Logged
@ Pippa, i agree with whatever u said, but the fact is that in a hugely populated country like India, it is absolutely impossible to conduct any sort of survey among a huge majority. what i want to say is that even though TAM meters are few in number compared to the total Indian Population, the Tam ratings give us a picture, , of what majority of these few thousand people like to watch, since these few thousand people are from varied walks of life, in fact, completely diverse walks of life, they will not hv the same taste. Even after that, if majority of them prefer to watch a particular show, well, then, u can take it that majority of the rest of the India will also prefer to watch that show. So trps do matter. yes, people claim its not authentic, its crooked, etc, etc, but then, i am not saying it gives  a !00% accurate report, but yes, we can't neglect it also, in fact it is *)% accurate. that is why all the most popular shows are among the top 20 acc to TAM ratings, also the IPL matches- chk, rt now set max has the max ratings!

@Maddy, I am from India, but watch Geet on youtube, that too not always, because my parents can't stand the show. I have seldom seen them getting so irritated at a show!LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

iMadz

Go to top