Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai
Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai

an old article...

rekha02 IF-Rockerz
rekha02
rekha02

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 5:58am | IP Logged

Young to old overnight - generational leaps back on TV

Young to old overnight - generational leaps back on TVThe small screen is once again in the generational leap mode. Innocent children turning into mature adults and grown-ups into old hags overnight are making a rapid comeback on television.

Be it STAR Plus' "Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai" or Colors' "Balika Vadhu", both shows have planned a seven-year and five-year leap respectively in their coming episodes. The bosses claim leaps are a natural progression in the story and not a survival plan.

"Balika Vadhu" writer Purnendu Shekhar says he had decided from the very first day that the protagonists of his story - Anandi and Jagdish, who get caught in the social evil of child marriage - will eventually grow up in the show.

"My characters had to grow up. Till when would they have remained young? Our show is completing 500 episodes on July 1; so we decided to bring in the change. Otherwise, even before the show was approved by the channel, we had decided that in due course, we will show that children suffer the repercussions of child marriage even after they grow up, " Shekhar told.

"We are taking a seven-year leap in the story of '...Bidaai'. I don't think we should call it a generation leap. It's more like the second season of the show, " Rajan Shahi, producer of "...Bidaai", told.

"I have been very clear that I will not stretch any of my shows just to keep them going. But for '...Bidaai', I felt our writers still have a brilliant story to tell and so a second season came in as a natural idea."

(why after a certain it was said then that no story is there.Confused)

It was Ekta Kapoor's top-rated shows "Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi", "Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii" and "Kasautii Zindagii Kay" that had set the trend for decade-long generational leaps. But many producers and channels are now reviving the formula to keep their best shows running.

Other shows that have adapted the 'generational leap formula' this year include Imagine TV's "Bandini", "Kashi" and "Devi", STAR Plus' "Hamari Devrani" and "Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat", Colors' "Uttaran", Zee TV's "Jhansi Ki Rani" and STAR One's "Miley Jab Hum Tum".

What is interesting is that the moment there is a generational leap in these fiction shows, spectacles, hair whiteners and walking sticks become major parts of the screenplay. That does the trick of making many young actors look old on screen, unless they choose to walk out of the show. 

(I don't think Anmol looked old as predicted infact I could not find any age difference between Anmol and Alekh - my view point )Smile

Their bright and colourful clothes are replaced with simple and sober saris and salwar-kameezes to suit their increased age. Child actors who play protagonists on shows are mostly replaced by adult actors. 

(Ragini looked the best and most  beautiful post leap, again my opinion.)

Nine-year-old Sparsh Khanchandani was replaced by much older Tina Dutta as Ichchha in "Uttaran", while Kritika Sengar recently stepped into the shoes of child actress Ulka Gupta to essay the role of Rani Lakshmi Bai in Zee TV's "Jhansi ki Rani".

Avika Gor, currently portraying child bride Anandi in "Balika Vadhu", will be replaced by an older girl. According to sources, it will be a Jamshedpur-based girl named Pratyusha Banerjee.

Asked if it was hard to explain to 12-year-old Avika about the change, Shekhar said: "She (Avika) understands. She is a smart girl and didn't throw any tantrums. But whoever comes in as her replacement has big shoes to fill in because Avika did a great job."

Whether "Balika Vadhu" and "...Bidaai" will retain their position among the top five shows on Hindi generation entertainment channels is something that remains to be seen until the stories take the generational leap.

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=37948

An old article ,but it gives me an answer why generation leap was taken in Bidaai.Smile According to Rajan Shahiji leap was season2, so Bidaai2 needs to be continuation of that season as story was incomplete infact an open end they themselves said that. Wink One more fact Bidaai did retain its place among top 5 shows and Balika Vadhu is doing the same at present in my opinion. Smile

Edited by rekha03 - 26 May 2011 at 5:59am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

harman05bhondu2010anizorsaveeta24sami01shanti05

bhondu2010 Goldie
bhondu2010
bhondu2010

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by rekha03

Young to old overnight - generational leaps back on TV

Young to old overnight - generational leaps back on TVThe small screen is once again in the generational leap mode. Innocent children turning into mature adults and grown-ups into old hags overnight are making a rapid comeback on television.

Be it STAR Plus' "Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai" or Colors' "Balika Vadhu", both shows have planned a seven-year and five-year leap respectively in their coming episodes. The bosses claim leaps are a natural progression in the story and not a survival plan.

"Balika Vadhu" writer Purnendu Shekhar says he had decided from the very first day that the protagonists of his story - Anandi and Jagdish, who get caught in the social evil of child marriage - will eventually grow up in the show.

"My characters had to grow up. Till when would they have remained young? Our show is completing 500 episodes on July 1; so we decided to bring in the change. Otherwise, even before the show was approved by the channel, we had decided that in due course, we will show that children suffer the repercussions of child marriage even after they grow up, " Shekhar told.

"We are taking a seven-year leap in the story of '...Bidaai'. I don't think we should call it a generation leap. It's more like the second season of the show, " Rajan Shahi, producer of "...Bidaai", told.

"I have been very clear that I will not stretch any of my shows just to keep them going. But for '...Bidaai', I felt our writers still have a brilliant story to tell and so a second season came in as a natural idea."

(why after a certain it was said then that no story is there.Confused)

I feel they had a story left ... Otherwise when they said the show was ending in sometime sept they got Anmols past and they were still going strong witrh the story .. The reason for axing is still unknown otherwise talks of season two will be actually contiuation of where itlseft of..

It was Ekta Kapoor's top-rated shows "Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi", "Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii" and "Kasautii Zindagii Kay" that had set the trend for decade-long generational leaps. But many producers and channels are now reviving the formula to keep their best shows running.

Other shows that have adapted the 'generational leap formula' this year include Imagine TV's "Bandini", "Kashi" and "Devi", STAR Plus' "Hamari Devrani" and "Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat", Colors' "Uttaran", Zee TV's "Jhansi Ki Rani" and STAR One's "Miley Jab Hum Tum".

What is interesting is that the moment there is a generational leap in these fiction shows, spectacles, hair whiteners and walking sticks become major parts of the screenplay. That does the trick of making many young actors look old on screen, unless they choose to walk out of the show. 

(I don't think Anmol looked old as predicted infact I could not find any age difference between Anmol and Alekh - my view point )Smile

Definatly Anmol looked  younger than his age !!! Its so  silly when i hear comments about people saying he looked older..Infact he was well groomed to look this age and his age gelled well with alkehs.

Their bright and colourful clothes are replaced with simple and sober saris and salwar-kameezes to suit their increased age. Child actors who play protagonists on shows are mostly replaced by adult actors.

(Ragini looked the best and most  beautiful post leap, again my opinion.)

I agree infact she was looking more elegant and perfect match for Anmol's character.. Somehow to be frank the colored hair did'nt suit her in the other show and I could'nt register her to be the same parul who played ragini.. also she had more role here and her acting was well etched as ragini .. I think Parul has a print of Ragini in her and cannot be changed  if she plays another role in a show to even look like that in taht attire.

Nine-year-old Sparsh Khanchandani was replaced by much older Tina Dutta as Ichchha in "Uttaran", while Kritika Sengar recently stepped into the shoes of child actress Ulka Gupta to essay the role of Rani Lakshmi Bai in Zee TV's "Jhansi ki Rani".

Avika Gor, currently portraying child bride Anandi in "Balika Vadhu", will be replaced by an older girl. According to sources, it will be a Jamshedpur-based girl named Pratyusha Banerjee.

Asked if it was hard to explain to 12-year-old Avika about the change, Shekhar said: "She (Avika) understands. She is a smart girl and didn't throw any tantrums. But whoever comes in as her replacement has big shoes to fill in because Avika did a great job."

Whether "Balika Vadhu" and "...Bidaai" will retain their position among the top five shows on Hindi generation entertainment channels is something that remains to be seen until the stories take the generational leap.

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=37948

An old article ,but it gives me an answer why generation leap was taken in Bidaai.Smile According to Rajan Shahiji leap was season2, so Bidaai2 needs to be continuation of that season as story was incomplete infact an open end they themselves said that. Wink One more fact Bidaai did retain its place among top 5 shows and Balika Vadhu is doing the same at present in my opinion. Smile
I hope  season two comes back with continuation of Angini as Rajan ji claims that post leap was season two so it shoudl be continuatrion of what was left hanging and give us angini story !

Thanks for an interesting article !!

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

anizorrekha02Wonderfullifesaveeta24

saveeta24 IF-Sizzlerz
saveeta24
saveeta24

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:17am | IP Logged
@rekha..thanks for article.not read this before but very interesting..

leap was season 2 of the show and have a good story ahead..

now hoping B2 is continuation as per his say leap was season 2 and it worked with the viewers..Thumbs Up

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

anizorrekha02

shanti05 IF-Stunnerz
shanti05
shanti05

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged
Nice article Rekha

Actually post leap was actually season two hmmm interesting so it should be continuation from where it left of..

I can guarantee you people who liked pre leap loved the post leap mainly due to Anmol's character

People who loved Ragini's first marriage loved Ragini's second marriage also..

Who will not fall in love with Anmol... Surely the leap was needed... The story had to have certain dimensions are a certain period and viewers were  not getting their plate of entertainment , and marketing strategies may also be affected..

Risks are taken for shows and when leads change and new ones come in they have certain expectations...and Apurva matched it well.. He loked  wel groomed for teh role of Anmol, younger than Alkeh  as he was suppose to be chota bhai... and Ragini elevated to match him elegant graceful.. I cannot see Parul as any other role even now as she will e Ragini unless she changes herself to look different wearing jeans and kurti  or something different in a show ..

So leaps made Bidaaii a better show with Apurva in it and also  his chemistry with Parul was accepted...

If  Bidaaii comes back soon or later it should be continuation for season two cntinuation as per the man itself Rajan ji ,...
If Tammy and Khushi story is in the picture it will need Anmol and Ragini so either ways thats the path they need to take ...

And now I heard Phulwa will take a leap also so Anagd's character Shankar will be paired with Phulwa grown up . This also will be an overnight change ...

So leaps are needed and  they always say saat saal baad ya das saal baad. So  we are tld about it ..

So leap are extremely successful for Bidaaii and it gave it the top spot but axing was the most unfortunate thing they did ..
If news is true about its return We all hope its a continuation from where it left of  with new flavors and new casts for Tammana and Khsuhi !!

anizorrekha02

sami01 IF-Sizzlerz
sami01
sami01

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged
wah so all those arguments about who should be in season 2 end..season two had apu as main protagonist of the show..whole show carried over by him with his magical persona and brilliant talent..
he looked totally same age as alekh in fact i used to laugh at certain comments in forum,what matters is how old u look ..no one is going to look at Ur chocolate colored eyes and then decide u suit a character or not...they have to look at Ur talent and Ur grace..
apu and parul did their part to perfection
i remember a spokesman from DKP once had explained to me that they had done loads of grooming and styling stuff for parul to get the look of graceful and very sober ragini...
u know they say magic of lata mangeshkar lies in the thehraav (total control and ease...and even pace) in her songs...
same can be said about anmol and ragini..apu and parul brought thehraav in their acting and it got them to this level in TAM
thanks rekha..i had not read it before

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

anizorrekha02tvmylovesaveeta24shanti05

shanti05 IF-Stunnerz
shanti05
shanti05

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sami01

wah so all those arguments about who should be in season 2 end..season two had apu as main protagonist of the show..whole show carried over by him with his magical persona and brilliant talent..
he looked totally same age as alekh in fact i used to laugh at certain comments in forum,what matters is how old u look ..no one is going to look at Ur chocolate colored eyes and then decide u suit a character or not...they have to look at Ur talent and Ur grace..
apu and parul did their part to perfection
i remember a spokesman from DKP once had explained to me that they had done loads of grooming and styling stuff for parul to get the look of graceful and very sober ragini...
u know they say magic of lata mangeshkar lies in the thehraav (total control and ease...and even pace) in her songs...
same can be said about anmol and ragini..apu and parul brought thehraav in their acting and it got them to this level in TAM
thanks rekha..i had not read it before
@bold points ... I agree with it Sammy
Infact  if they come back as a continuation viewers will accept them wholeheartedly since they were a fresh couple in te making mature and understanding and Anmol's love for Ragini was  beautifully shown...

The shyness the awkwardness the intensity well captured..

I stil cannot fathom the need to axe this show !  Atleast we know that Apurva did give  the best of the show post leap and not like other shows which seem to have disappointed the viewers.

Fans of Apurva or non fans of Apruva watched the show and saw that Anmol and Ragini (played by Apurva and Parul) were well accepted by audience.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

anizorrekha02sami01

bhondu2010 Goldie
bhondu2010
bhondu2010

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged

The buzz is that a 10 year leap is being planned in the show and auditions for the post leap characters are on. This also means that the hunt for the grownup Phulwa is on in full swing.

So then maybe Angad's character will be shown aged with time to match the Phulwa as he is married to her..Make dose wonders so just like the movie Lamhe where anil kapoor  was show with mom sri devi and then daughter  sridevi they may show somthing like that for teh character of shankar..Just my thought,

Coming to Bidaaii the leap gave a freshness to showing how life changes and unknow people due to destiny come closer ..and definatly it was a good risk taken by Rajan ji as the team did extremely well and got teh show to No1 spot
I still an confused why they ended it hope fully if this is season two for him then he should continue from where it was left of.

Shows take their time for a come back depending on situations and striking part , but mostly the post leap clicked with the audience and surely they would like it to continue  from there.. I hope starplus sees that post leap worked and the actors gave in their  best to  keep the show on top and they deserve a comeback !

No other show may do wonders what Bidaaii claimed and did post leap..The audience were kept interested witha few bumps here and there but the outcome and new characters which were added and actors par excellence were introduced and chemistry clicked so overall recall value seems pretty high !!

anizorrekha02

Abirami24 Goldie
Abirami24
Abirami24

Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:04am | IP Logged
thanks 4 d article

Go to top