Debate Mansion

The Real Debate! (Page 17)

Post Reply New Post

Page 17 of 23

K.Consciousness

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

blue-ice

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Real Debate! (Page 17)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by K.Resurrected.

Originally posted by return_to_hades

No one has denied Gandhi the role he played in history. Its merely a question of did he do enough, could he have done more and do we potentially overlook some of his mistakes.

You accuse Gandhi of being a pacifist but you turn around and try to do the same over here. The crux of the discussion, if I am not wrong,  is whether Gandhi should have been shot dead in public or not (which is what Godse did). What you are trying to do is water down the sentiment of the detractors to make it more palatable to the neutral audience. Nice try but that is not the position assumed by the pro-"Gandhi-should-have-been-shot-dead" -gang.

I've never denied that I myself am a pacifist. I also often wonder if I make a right decision in doing so. That aside - I feel the TS has intentionally made the opening questions controversial and inflammatory. While I do not know some of these new comers well, I believe that this is not done out of malice or disdain, but purely to incite discussion and interaction.

The crux I believe is not in if someone deserved to get shot dead or in justifying a convicted killer - thats the attention grabber. The crux is more in a reevaluation of Gandhi in historical perspective decades later and analyzing his decisions and choices. In my personal opinion he is not as infallible or mercurial as he is perceived to be, but to many others he is the face of our freedom movement and our nations greatest leaders. The crux to me is the clash of these two perspectives.

I remember going to Passion of the Christ with a church group. My friends father was a pastor. One of our post film discussion questions was "Did Jesus deserve to die?". I don't think any pastor in their right mind wants people to think Jesus deserved to die, the point is to engage in critical thinking so that people reaffirm beliefs or views after a thorough evaluation of all perspectives.

I don't see any arguments here which go  purely "Gandhi should have been shot". Most are just refusing to believe that Gandhi did everything right. I feel you are so engrossed in your personal viewpoints that anything that opposes it is grossly vile or to the extreme.

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged

When you are talking about the father of the nation, a man held in high esteem by millions for all the right reasons, you have to tread carefully with you free speech banner.

Thumbs Up

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by night13

I respect and welcome all. Tongue

Welcome ke liye Thanks hai ji...agar aap  welcome nahi karti...hum fir bhi aa jaateLOL

monar

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 2:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice

Welcome ke liye Thanks hai ji...agar aap  welcome nahi karti...hum fir bhi aa jaateLOL

What's up with the 'Ji'...LOL  Welcome to the world of controversies...JI
LOL
Ready for the next topic.. Wink

Edited by night13 - 26 May 2011 at 2:59pm

blue-ice

K.Consciousness

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

DemonStarblue-ice

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by blue-ice

What's up with the 'Ji'...LOL  Welcome to the world of controversies...JI
LOL
Ready for the next topic.. Wink

Ji is for the added drama effect..LOL

yup...waiting for the next one...Tongue

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Yes, it is very difficult to debate with people who have made up their minds. Especially when people have made up their minds that they are right and all those who contradict their righteous opinions or think differently are nothing but ignorant, disrespectful, idiots who are making up bullshit.

Stop being touchy.

I could care less. However, in all honesty, thats how you come off as a lot of times.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top