Debate Mansion

The Real Debate! (Page 10)

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice

Haha Summerji...that makes three of us...u , me and President Obama...GMTALOL

Its a pity that while the whole world reveres Gandhiji, he is used as an example when it comes to great leaders...some of us INDIANS would question his decisions...just sayin...well I guess in a free India...we have a right to do so...guess who we owe this freedom toTongueWink

And it's a pity that you chose a place where people are supposed to express freely to write such a comment.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

MagixX

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Its a pity that while the whole world reveres Gandhiji, he is used as an example when it comes to great leaders...some of us INDIANS would question his decisions...just sayin...well I guess in a free India...we have a right to do so...guess who we owe this freedom toTongueWink

And it's a pity that you chose a place where people are supposed to express freely to write such a comment.

and its a pity that u would comment on my choice of place...well I just said its a pity that they are questioning Gandhiji ...I didn't say that they shouldn't question at all...my opinion...I am free to express it...isn't DM about expressing ur opinion...
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:52am | IP Logged

and its a pity that u would comment on my choice of place...well I just said its a pity that they are questioning Gandhiji ...I didn't say that they shouldn't question at all...my opinion...I am free to express it...isn't DM about expressing ur opinion...

DM is about expressing one's opinion, not about questioning other's rights to express their opinion, and that is exactly what you were doing. Don't try to blame me for something that you've done.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

punjabi#1MagixX

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged
^^...whatever Soumya...I never questioned anyones right...I been on DM long enough to know that...but if u think it is that way...thats ur opinion...can't do anything about it...
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged
I won't support what Nathuram Godse did, atleast for now. According to me supporting someone's assasination means believing that the person was guilty of such serious crimes that he deserved capital punishment.

I'm not a believer of Mahatma Gandhi's ideology atleast not to the extreme that he took it to. I don't really support some of the things that he did, cos I believe that those decisions delayed the Indian independence. But I can't think of anything that was so heinous and deliberate on his part that he deserved capital punishment.

blue-ice.

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged
To me Gandhi is a human. I respect and admire some of his principles. I am grateful to what he contributed to the nation. However, he is not a God and I refuse to revere him.

Like many other world leaders he too had several flaws. I don't understand why people get upset when people critically evaluate Gandhi. He is human, why should he be assumed infallible and above scrutiny.

Of course my biggest criticisms of Gandhi are that he was to engrossed in his views and the superiority of his views that I think he unfairly discredited the counter movement led by the likes of Bhagat Singh etc. Secondly, I believe that his pacifist and laissez faire attitude towards our internal conflicts led to more schisms than they should have. Had it not been for the egos of Gandhi, Jinnah and Nehru, the subcontinent could have been a much different country than it is today.

However, my personal gripe in historical context is that Gandhi was an affluent aristocrat who never would have given a second glance to the miseries of those below him - until and unless he himself was a victim of abuse. Even in his memoirs Gandhi embellishes his once apathy and the need for a wake up call. No one can be attuned to the experiences of others and we all need wake up calls, at least Gandhi could have done more in acknowledging this. Its almost as if he did not want people to deem him as human and fallible.

As for Godse Nathuram Godse was dead wrong, his cause was misguided and he committed a heinous crime which he will forever be condemned for it.

Even though I'm a pacifist I tend to prefer the warriors for my ideal leaders Alexander of Macedon, King Leonidas, Ulysses S Grant, George Marshall etc. Although my favorite of all leaders is Abraham Lincoln who would rather go to war over the differences, rather than compromise for years of segregation and embitterment.

MagixX

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:03pm | IP Logged

I won't support what Nathuram Godse did, atleast for now. According to me supporting someone's assasination means believing that the person was guilty of such serious crimes that he deserved capital punishment.

I'm not a believer of Mahatma Gandhi's ideology atleast not to the extreme that he took it to. I don't really support some of the things that he did, cos I believe that those decisions delayed the Indian independence. But I can't think of anything that was so heinous and deliberate on his part that he deserved capital punishment.

And what could change your view about Godse?
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged

And what could change your view about Godse?

If someone produces evidence that he committed such crimes which according to me deserves capital punishment. But I'm yet to see anyone producing that evidence. Till now the supporters have merely dumped the crime of others on him and declared him guilty.

Go to top