Sensational South
Sensational South

DOTW -- Censorship

supercool3 IF-Veteran Member
supercool3
supercool3

Crazy Creatives Lead

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged

Popular culture continues to be one of the thriving factors of today. The sort of impact that it has on the people of the 21st century is unbelievable, and it still continues to grow. In fact, it can even be declared as one of the greatest phenomenon of this post-modern era.

Yet, all this attention definitely has its share of controversy. The idea of us being exposed to this part of society evokes concern; the concern formed through the morals and ethics that different institutions have taught us and the general foundations of society.

Censorship is one thing that continues to play a key role when it comes to movies, TV shows, music and even books. Different sorts of entertainment are censored based on the information given, how explicit they are, and in accordance to the audience that will be taking it in.  The goal here is to protect viewers/readers/audience from what is touted to be "wrong" or "not right" or "simply overwhelming".

However, the argument against censorship is that it tends to "blind" people towards something, which can even be sometimes considered the harsh truth of reality.

Another thought is that it also corrupts the essence of the original, when placed through an alteration.

My personal thoughts are that censorship should vary depending on what is being produced. For example, if a movie is trying to send a strong social message, or bringing onto screen one of the issues of our society, it should be enabled for people of all ages to watch. It creates awareness, and urges people to fight against the atrocity. However, at the same time, extreme violence and sensuality should be censored for a certain age groups depending on the nature of the scene.

What are your thoughts on censorship? What do you believe should be taken into consideration when a movie's rated G/PG/PG-13/R etc., or U/UA/A ?

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

hopper_ocean_Manpreet_Rafa.LunaPotter

letitgo IF-Rockerz
letitgo
letitgo

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged
Censorship is imp when it comes to age- no matter the type of content- be it a strong reality based social message or a n extreme erotic scene

Kids or teenagers shud not be exposed to such drastic things as their minds will not be able to take it... it is good enuf if they take care of their own small world by themselves...harsh realities will anyway creep in as they  age up.

And censorship for adults shud be optional- give a fair amt of warning and if that person thinks he/she can handle it then go for the uncensored version...

Edited by bhavi20_s - 23 May 2011 at 9:55pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Carynhopper_ocean_Manpreet_Rafa.LunaPotter

_Manpreet_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Manpreet_
_Manpreet_

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the interesting topic hun :D...

editing my POV
-MakhanMalaai- IF-Stunnerz
-MakhanMalaai-
-MakhanMalaai-

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged
For English movies i keep that in mind not for myself but for my lil brother and my lil sister.. whose not so little but yeaahh LOLLOL i can watch anything..im pretty hard eyed..LOLLOL blood, action gruesome i watch all.. my mom and sis they cannot tolerate the bloddy bath like in Ghajini and according to me it was nothing.. i have seen some more gruesome stuff.. but for Hindi/tamil/telugu movies i dont care wat the rating is.. if i like the trailer i will watch the movie no matter what..

soo yeaahh basically ratings dont actually matter to me as i can watch everything im 19..LOLLOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hopper_ocean

Caryn IF-Rockerz
Caryn
Caryn

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged
We have ratings here in theatres.  So we don't take the children.  However, some theatres are not so strict.

My major concern is why parents bring the children to the movies when they know it has P18 ratings.

In tv, all programs go through censorship.  No matter what.  They funny part some things which needs to be edited / censored do not get it. LOL

Some movies needs to be censored.  Too much of violence.  I thought Siruthai was a bit extreme compared to Ghajani.  We have teenagers watching these type of movies.  Try to think what kind of social impact this has on the teenagers.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hopper_ocean

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index